This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD-11 in its majesty

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swifthawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD-11 in its majesty
    Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 9:24am
Sponsored Links

Swifthawk View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swifthawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 9:32am
This is Caleb Hull from Hyde Park, Utah just finished a project with the old girl. And with the cable unit he was able to beat the other bids and make money at the same time. He loves that dozer. I hope you all enjoy the picture as much as I did watching this machine run. For those of you that are interested , that is a Garwood scraper and a Garwood cable unit on the back of the dozer.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 10:21am
Couple of those cable scrapers setting in a place just over the Iowa / MN border I use to see when traveling down that way on runs. Seems kind of forlorn to see old equipment setting in a filed just rusting away when they should be working somewhere .  
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 3:58pm
tractors and scoops. The funnest way to move dirt !
And still the cheapest too; as long as its not too long a haul, and you can get on top of and behind it. Just 1 man and 1 machine; you can load, carry, spread, roll and grade with 1 of these. Bob LeTourneaus gift to earthmovers [he invented scoops] Absolutely love them.
Biggest problem is convincing people how good they are. People think there old technology and you should do everything with diggers and dumpers.
give us some more pics and  storys, please swifthawk. Is it a wet deck 11 E ?
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
Swifthawk View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swifthawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 9:55pm

I dont know what you guys call a wet deck I am sorry. When I was in Alaska it took me a while to find out what guys in Kentucky call a pan.

I worked for a company that had a real nice 66A, (cable D-9) there scrapers (636 cat scraper) broke down so I finally convience them to put a cable can behind that cat. It wasnt long that they saw how much money they were saving , and how fast it loaded and discharged. Next thing you know they had it ( the 66A )and the scraper in the shop new tracks new blades and beautiful paint job big decals. I run it non stop from then on. I had one boss a few years later showed me cat magazine with a D-10( new) with a (new) pull hydraulic scraper behind it . That is a big thing now. I have had my eye on a real nice HD-21 and a big Choate Laplante scraper to put behind it.  In short hauls it will kick butt on the 636 push pull for sure. These dang kids just dont know much about dirt moving, they may know how to run a machine, i've seen some good operators that are young, but they have no idea of the best ways to move it . I set and watched 3 trackhoes lift dirt out in stages in a deep hole. they could of put a 4 yrd dragline on top and pocketed the money no cost to them for the third hoe. We dug out big foundations that way . and the dragline loaded out the trucks after lifing it 2 stories high far faster than they were with the trackhoes . I dont know everything for sure but I love watching machines where they are cost effective. I miss watching the big HD-21 clear and level . They had a sound of there own then.
Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 12:08am
You boys come across any LaPlant Choate / Allis C108 pull scrapers? About 11 yard heaped, built for HD11.     
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 12:47am
A wet deck 11; is the later series HD11s  10000 series s/ns up that had wet steering clutchs and turbocharged engines. HD11B was still dry with the n/a 10000 motor.
D9G and scoop is a fairly formidable hunk of earth extracting steel. Seen the odd example downunder; Gear drive D9D and 463 scoop was more common here; and was alot of D8Hs with 463 and 435 scoops around too.
Still a few people using TS14s down here; another mighty tool. They all paid for themselves 40 years ago, people just keep rebuilding them and using them.
You,d be 100% right about a big dragline, over 3 diggers. Biggest problem here would be to find someone who can operate a dragline ! That is a lost art; easpecially someone who can sidecast and 'throw' that bucket out; like casting a fishing line ! !
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
Swifthawk View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swifthawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 1:19am
Wish I could of talk to you about 5 days ago I saw one that was cut up at a scrap yard. It was in really good shape . It was a cable unit. It was in good shape its only problem was a few flat tires. I know where a Latourneau  that size is . They were awesome for fine finish work. Te Laplante had a slight curve in is cutting edge that made it start a cut easier if I remember . I was told most old land levelers used the Laplante to hog out with and the Latourneau to do finish grade with. There are a few that are around though.
Swifthawk View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swifthawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 1:24am
By the way I saw some of Letourneau's first scoops as you call then in 1980 in a bone yard in Nome Alaska, wow what a machine .
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 1:41am
Yes i was also told some La plante scoops; and early cat 60s; had this bell mouthed cutting edge that made them very aggresive diggers in clay. Most later scoops had straight cutting edges; but you  could fit a 'stinger' centre section cutting ege to make them dig if you needed too. I have this settup on my cat 70.
You got any more pics of that 11 and pan. Also how many cube did that scoop hold ?

tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 4:20pm
Had another look at your pic. 11 might be a real early buda powered B. looks like it has the long steering clutch levers coming out of the floor. Also looks like it is a short track frame B rather than a long frame E. Need more pics swifthawk ! !
Cheers mate.
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 4:22pm
Mac,s old HD11B
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 4:27pm
My D4E and  D6D and hyd cat 70 scoop
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
Swifthawk View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swifthawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 8:30pm
Swifthawk View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swifthawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 8:45pm
It has the Allis Chalmers engine in it  . It has Allis Chalmers on the manifold , but it is a buda as I understand it Allis bought Buda out. It has no turbo. But the tracks were long and we wore them out and found some new one's on another cat that was one link short I believe,  so we grab them up and put them on this outfit. I love how good that buda is on fuel . I cant understand why they dont still use that engine it is great on fuel . they seem seems to last forever if taken care of. I love the sound of it way better that my detroit 371 that I have in my dragline. We run draglines forever. This dozer usually was with them all the time. We are slowly liquidating out of the buisness. The last few machines I am finding it hard to part with. They were our best. 
ac_sd View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac_sd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 9:55pm
It is sad to see these old machines go,  I just sent one of my HD-20's to scrap. Its old GM 6-110 was tired although the Under cariage was still good . It was set up with a push block.  I still have my HD-20 dozer along with a like new HD-15, HD-9, and HD-5's along with some HD-6's, 2 HD-11"s, H-3,... I like these old tractors and have a couple old Cletracs and Cats also.
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 12:12am
Can,t see much sense in getting rid of them swifthawk. They,re paid for owe you nothing and only have to do one good job a year to justify there existance ! Besides if you didn,t have old dozers to play with you,d only end up chasing wild wimmen and drinking too much beer ! Well i would anyway !
Bottom line is you can always sell them be it now or 10 years time. you won,t loose any money. But when there gone; there gone for good. And theres getting less and less each year to replace them with ! my 2 cents worth anyway. Besides we all gotta have at least 1 toy to take to these vintage machinery rallys !
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 12:17am
Swifthawk. On the upper rear RH side of the chassis by the cable control; should have HD11xxxxx stamped on it Tell us what the letters and numbers are. Also do the steering levers come out of the floor or the dash ! Old girl looks way too good to get rid of especially if it still goes ok.
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 6:53pm
What size draglines are ya runnin?
Swifthawk View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swifthawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 10:47pm
Swifthawk View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swifthawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 11:05pm
I run Link Belts no long levers just little short controls . They are smooth and fast I run a LS-58 that is pictured above 5/8 yard machine, then a LS-78, 3/4 yard, then a LS-98, 1 1/4 yard. The LS-58 is the only one I havent sold. It is small and easy to get into alot of places the big ones cant. Its cycle time is really fast. I have run some giant drag's and shovels. But I love my little sand box one the best. There not that hard to run it is just getting someone that will teach . I have 3 sons that run them well , But we keep it in the family. A year ago I taught a man that was 59 how to run one in a day . He loved it he just needed some time after that . give me a week and I can get them started side casting , bump casting and etc. I have taught about 6 other men that picked them up real fast. One cant teach themself how to do it but if he has someone to teach and watch it can happen faster than one thinks. I love this machine and really love it when my HD-11 is right there with it . They can move alot of dirt in many different ways. they just compliment each other.
Swifthawk View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swifthawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 11:15pm
Hey if there is any other old dragline hands love to hear from you all. plus if any of you have some pictures of some cat cans or scoops id love to see them. or if you got some 21's or 20's id love to see them. I always wanted a HD-16 cable or hydraulic they were so classy. I had a D-7 but always wanted a HD-16 but couldnt find one where I was at.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic