This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD dozers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD dozers
    Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 10:39pm
 What are some of the pros and cons to a allis HD with the torque converter? Ive heard good and bad. Some say that they are prone to failure, and gutless. What about the transmissions and final drives? Is there somewhere I could go to read about them? thanks
Sponsored Links

acisbest View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acisbest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2010 at 8:00am
I know a little about the HD6G, not too much about the others...

The main failure point on the HD6G was the pinion gear on the rear drive. I knew a guy in Frederick MD that used 3 HD6G's. He had replaced 2 pinions and said another dozer was about ready to bust its pinion... Other than that he said the HD6G was a good machine.

You might try IBDOZING.com, forum is not that current but there is some history there.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2010 at 9:42pm
 The final drives on the HD6 are the same as used on the HD5 machines. Most failures I have seen are from outboard bearing at top of rear case failing and breaking case. Other problem is the rear transmission double row ball bearing going out .
 I have replaced 2 of the trany bearings (pinion shaft) as well as the bearings on the ring gear support. Also all new internal trany bearings and bushing on reverse ideler.

Torque converter will have less power to track but make it easier to control machine functions. The HD4 I had with torque converter took some getting use to in using decellerator pedal. Now the 715B TLB with torque converter is great .
 The FD5 uses a torque converter but also has power shift trany and is great for grading and most light work i do with it .
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2010 at 10:55pm
My great grandpa bought a new HD 11 in the 60s. My Grandpa used to run it and said that it wouldnt kill its self but rather slip the torque converter. He said there was always something goint wrong with it. I just found it hard to believe that Allis Chalmers did so well on tractors and there were problems like this on the industrial side, but maybe it was just this one. Ide like to have a HD series, but was kind of weiry of one. thanks
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2010 at 12:54pm
A cable layer commercial phone and internet underground trunk line conduit installer is still using two old HD16s' he prefers them to cats as they are easier to operate and less likely to cost him a fortune when they do need work.  The mechanic there did say parts are getting mighty thin and they may have to retire the old dogs.
BobsAc View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobsAc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 6:48pm
Later HD-6's used different bull gears and sprocket shafts than the HD-5/early HD-6's.
BobsAc View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobsAc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 6:53pm
They made several different models, early ones used diesel fuel from the fuel tank and tended to heat up if the tractor fuel tahk was run too low...Later ones generally corrected that problem... the input shaft on the tranny was a ball bearing type which some contractor's complained of failure there... Otherwise they had a long successful run... (Early Cat D9 Torque converter tractors also used diesel fuel similar to AC).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic