This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD 5/6 AT THE 2013 REDWOOD REGION LOGGING CONFEREN

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD 5/6 AT THE 2013 REDWOOD REGION LOGGING CONFEREN
    Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 1:11pm
OK GUYS, Here's a recap of the fun time we had talking AC orange to visitors at the Redwood Region Logging Conference in Eureka, Ca. a week ago. It was obvious to us that if there would have been awards we would have been "BEST of SHOW" (no bias here). AC Crazy and I discussed the status of deteriorating AC tractors in and around the area that were sure we should save (and yes were on it). Met and visited with Jack Demartini, a Eureka local who has a huge collection of models,buckles sales literature and brochures. He shared with us brocures from ATECO MANUFACTURING relating to all the products they made for AC equipment blades, rippers etc. The HD 5 has an ATECO blade ( I have his info if someone would like to contact him). Met a gentleman whose father had been a catskinner for our father back in the 1950s. The tractor that he ran at the time would have been an HD14 with a winch. I know I'm forgetting a contact that I met relating to our New Zeland, Austrailian, AC forum friends (my brains on overload). Also I noticed that my file manager is almost full of pictures. Can you get more space? or do I have to delete past stuff (hate to do that)

Ok, so if you want to put a face on the names it would be (L) Mel Ford (C) Kevin Core (R)Dave Ford. Kevins grandfather Frank Core bought the tractor new in 1952 and used it for logging and other projects. Kevins mother donated the tractor to "THE ALLIS CHALMERS COLLECTION" of REDWOOD VALLEY GRAVEL PRODUCTS and everyone that follows the AC forum knows the rest of the story. Kevin is the advertising manager of the Loggers World publication, (a really cool magazine related to logging and log trucking) you need to check it out  http://loggersworld.com 

The chainsaw carvers are extremely entertaing to watch as they carve this stuff out of a piece of redwood log, using 4 or more different size chain saws and then finishing off with a dremel type tool. Most of the items they carve in the first day are auctioned off at the dinner fundraising banquet with the proceeds being used for education and other projects that the RRLC helps sponsor and they sell other carvings they have done also 

Sponsored Links

Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 1:23pm
Great looking crawlers, I wish that someday my picture could be taken holding a fish that size, and I never knew that CAT made a truck?
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 1:25pm
Wow, quite a show.  Nice looking AC's and that old IHC truck in the background is cool too.  Thanks for posting!
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 1:39pm
i think all that is left to do is shine those blades up, on video!!  nice work
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
AC-12G View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC-12G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 1:46pm
THKS MEL
                VERY THOUGHTFUL OF YOU
                                                              JERRY KIRSCHLING 
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 3:26pm
Mel:  Beautiful photos of your HD-5 and HD-6 Machines. 

Thank you for the recap on the logging conference.  AC put out a small pocket book on Logging that is very interesting.  Are those Carco winches on the back of the 5 and 6?
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 3:53pm
Not to seem out of place JohnCo, that is a MACK truck in that photo, they had a odd emblem in the grill as the radiator is at the firewall.

Cool pics of two great little crawlers, thanks for these recaptured heirlooms Mel.
jnicol6600 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jnicol6600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 3:43pm
Boy that brings back some memories. Back in another lifetime i ran a timbco with a head similar to that deere feller buncher.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 9:57pm
DMiller, you are right, I just remember seeing an IH truck with the radiator behind the engine and thought it was one of those.  On second look it's easy to see it's a Bulldog Mack, just like the ones sent to Europe during WW1.  Interesting that a French company, Renault, bought Mack.
Back in the late 1970's I was in the logging business cutting beetle kill ponderosa pine in the mountains above Boulder.  I remember reading Logging World and wishing we had trees like you guys do west of us.  A tree that made over 300 bd ft around here is considered big!  Doubt if I could drag chokers up the hills like I did half a lifetime ago.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 9:23am
Yellow Internation.........I mean CAT truck in the last picture
POS either way you look at it. All in all looks like it was a pretty nice show.
Nice job on the resto on the 2 dozers
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 10:39am
Would love to see a restored HD11.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic