This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Has anyone here had this??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Has anyone here had this??
    Posted: 28 Aug 2024 at 2:43pm
Well, In about 3 weeks out from a total shoulder, reverse, replacement.  The surgeon, "She", one of the best, from what I have heard in the Pittsburgh PA, area, said "this is one of the worst I have ever seen"!   Sept. 23.   I have 3 of the 4 rotator cuff muscles completely torn beyond repair.  One she said, I tore one about 20 years ago, nothing there, just parts and pieces, nothing to use.  As she stated, "not sure how your shoulder is still working".   Great info there!!!!!  She asked me, if I mind while she is in there, the shoulder area, to look around??  Like, Am I going to jump up and say NO!!  loL  With my work, she said, 6 months to a year recovery???

Edited by Dave in PA - 28 Aug 2024 at 2:45pm
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2024 at 5:42pm
WOW.. bad news Dave... any idea how they  "PATCH" the muscles.. or just stretch and sew and let them heal for a year ??
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2024 at 6:30pm
Had the reverse replacement done couple of years ago. Overnight hospital stay.  No problem with the rotator cuff just a worn out joint. Bone on bone no cartilage. No driving for 10 weeks because your arm is in a sling. That's a big deal because if you drive and something happens you are at fault.  Recovery period you were told was correct. Do the exercises as they tell you for sure. Good luck. For me it was worth it. But I swear that arm is now longer than the other and the shoulder is lower.
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2024 at 7:31pm
A very good friend had the reverse (shoulder) replacement a few years ago. He said he slept in his recliner throughout the recovery period. He also strictly adhered to the follow up recommendations. 

He had several prior unsuccessful surgeries.

Every time he speaks of the reverse replacement, he says his shoulders are now the best they have been in 40 years (he is 75). He says it is the best thing he has ever done.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2024 at 7:32pm
Might as well let her look around while they have you opened up, may find a better way to fix you and if not maybe help someone else down the road. Follow the doctor’s instructions and don’t try to do too much too soon. No driving for several months would make me totally nuts, I’m not far from there already. Praying all goes well with your surgery. 
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2024 at 7:33pm
well... i had to look it up... didnt know what REVERSE was... The move the BALL of the socket to the other side of the joint..

Why should a person get a reverse prosthesis instead of a standard shoulder replacement?

Most people get a standard total shoulder replacement. However, a reverse total shoulder replacement may work better for people with certain injuries, including some rotator cuff injuries. This is because a standard total shoulder replacement relies on muscles and tendons around the shoulder joint to be intact, while a reverse prosthesis is designed for situations where the rotator cuff is torn or malfunctioning.

If you have this type of injury, a standard shoulder replacement might still leave you with pain and limited movement. A reverse total shoulder replacement usually improves these problems. After surgery, you can use your deltoid muscle instead of using the rotator cuff to lift your arm.

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2024 at 7:35pm
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2024 at 7:52pm
steve(ill), 
I asked exactly the same question. I had never heard of it (prior to my friend having it), either.
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2024 at 12:44pm
Mine was done that way because I didn't have enough of the old joints left to do a conventional way. We do maple syrup and my recovery was during that time so I asked what would happen if I did something to the shoulder doing the syrup. Can we repair it? Nope we start from square one. The doc that did mine just does shoulders nothing else.
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
Dave in PA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2024 at 1:38pm
Thanks guys for the comment!  My issues with this coming up are, 1. I have about 10 hours or more, of doc. visits so far, look at, mri, ct scan. bloodwork, pee in a cup, chest x-ray, ekg, paperwork out the backend, for approx. a 2 to 3 hour operation.  2. After the repair, the doctor told me that I will have a 25 lb. limit on the arm/shoulder for lifting, more than that, I am able and possibly able to blow it apart. On the down side, she said if I don't do the repair, in her opinion, 1 year from now, my arm will useless!  I am going in positive and getting "much gooder"  Thanks for the posts. Dave
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2024 at 1:40pm
Back in 2008 I had a rotator cuff repair on my right shoulder when they got in thereit was torn clear off and they re connected it. I was told if I could drive one handed I could drive. After the first two weeks were over we went to Florida to see family and I drive all the way down & back. After 6 weeks they started surgery and the guy doing it told me that if I ever had to have a shoulder replacement there was a doctor I Canton Ohio that does a shoulder replacement just like your shoulder is not a reverse replacement. I made it through therapy and am still doing good with my right shoulder so no replacement is in sight for now, Iam 79 years old and everything works good.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2024 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by mdm1 mdm1 wrote:

Mine was done that way because I didn't have enough of the old joints left to do a conventional way. We do maple syrup and my recovery was during that time so I asked what would happen if I did something to the shoulder doing the syrup. Can we repair it? Nope we start from square one. The doc that did mine just does shoulders nothing else.

Other than the maple syrup part, your whole post sounds exactly the sane as my friend told me. His was done by a surgeon at Syracuse Orthopedic Surgeons (SOS) who does only shoulders.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2024 at 4:33am
Both of mine are headed down this path, UNLESS I cease the heavy work I tend to set myself up for.  Still have to OH the 180, after repack bearings and repair Electric brakes on both trailers then pull the entire dash and change the 2010 Impala Heater Core(Yes they built it that way).  Then may end up replacing the eight rear tires on the KW come next season if manage to find a decent trailer less expensively, for my Spare Time.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2024 at 11:16am
Update, Seen the Doc. this morning for the pre operation thing. She said we are a go, ordering the parts from NAPA!  As she said, they have a return policy here! I love her way of doing things, just so relaxing at a stressful time. I will be no, nothing for about 10 days to 14.  Then after a visit, staples come out, and do what I can at my pace! Pending issues.  Then p.t. for a while to regain usage.  To reply to some, sling when needed, for 2 weeks, drive after 2 weeks, work, ????  use the arm, do what you can, raise up as you can, pain stop! As she said, after the fix, do and try to move forward, without damage!  

Edited by Dave in PA - 30 Aug 2024 at 11:18am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2024 at 4:36pm
do you get the NAPA WARRENTY ?  Wink
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2024 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by Dave in PA Dave in PA wrote:

Update, Seen the Doc. this morning for the pre operation thing. She said we are a go, ordering the parts from NAPA!  As she said, they have a return policy here! I love her way of doing things, just so relaxing at a stressful time. I will be no, nothing for about 10 days to 14.  Then after a visit, staples come out, and do what I can at my pace! Pending issues.  Then p.t. for a while to regain usage.  To reply to some, sling when needed, for 2 weeks, drive after 2 weeks, work, ????  use the arm, do what you can, raise up as you can, pain stop! As she said, after the fix, do and try to move forward, without damage!   

Dave, where are you going to have the surgery? If it's North Hills Pas. or AGH, I have repaired equipment in both of their ER's. 

I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2024 at 9:55am
Lou, Going to Western PA Surgery, Beaver office, Alliquippa address.   The doc has a office 1/2 mile from me, in Wexford, could have it done but 2 months out! Same everything, in Beaver!  Just a 30-minute drive.  Dr. Buterbaugh.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2024 at 12:01pm
Wink Tell the doctor as a farmer you know what grease gun is and you want the deluxe joint with a grease fitting.LOL

I asked when my hip was repaired. They used the insurance approved "cheap model" anyway.Cry
Grayray View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grayray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2024 at 6:27pm
We can install that grease fitting ourselves.  All we need is a drill, a tap, a zerk,.........

and about 6 guys to hold you down.

LOL

Grayray View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grayray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2024 at 6:30pm
Hey Lou.  Once Dave has the surgery and a few weeks to heal, he won't be working for a while, so he won't have an excuse to not join us for breakfast.  I'll even go pick him up so he doesn't need to drive.

Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic