This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hard starting D-15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaxinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hard starting D-15
    Posted: 05 Mar 2010 at 10:54am
I have A D-15 that is extremely hard starting.  The gas lever must be all the way to the top( no throttle).  If the battery gets low voltage (enough to turn the starter, but not  Full speed), it will usually not start.  Sometimes it will fire up just as you release the starter push button.  Would one of the electronic ignition units help this problem?  If so, where do you get them and are they very complicated to install?  Also, does it require a new coil to go with it?  Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links

ALinIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALinIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2010 at 11:34am
Max - Lot of questions.  Itsounds like like you have a weak battery.  Take it to a auto store and have it checked out.  You may have a starter that is drawing excess current.
Your excess current draw can cause low voltage to your coil, thus low spark.  The electronic IGN also need adequate to operate, will not usually operate below 10.5 volts.
The Electronic IGN is not hard to install.  Someome on here will probably be able to give more info on a unit.  - AL
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2010 at 7:03pm
I agree with Al. My Oliver 60 used to do that. Never would start cranking, but as soon as you let off the button, it would light off every time. Turned out the battery had a bad cell. Cranking voltage was dropping below 9V. It still cranked good because the starter was 6V. A new battery and it starts right up.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2010 at 7:58pm
The throttle having to be closed sounds troublesome to me. Maybe carburetor problems, maybe vacuum leaks in the manifold????? 
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2010 at 7:58pm
I agree with the guys. Sounds like you may have a problem with the Battery. Also, an E.I. will help with faster starts. Get your Battery checked out first. You can always add an E.I. anytime. I sell the E.I.'s for the AC machines. If you would like to order one down the road, drop me a line. Be glad to help you out. Nice detailed instructions come with ALL E.I.'s.
Steve@B&B
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2010 at 7:59pm
Al's hit the nail on the head. I'd toss in a known good battery,replace the cables with new ones as well. A wee bit of corrosion down the center of a cable will drive you nuts! My 'new' '59 D-14 has everything new(plugs,wires,coil,points,battery cables and battery). You can't get your hand off the key fast enough! 1/2 a spin and she's purring. No need to 'upgrade' to electronic ignition,heck the Kettering system was good 60 years ago,and it's still good today.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Jeff Z. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff  Z.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2010 at 4:29am
I'm with Jay on this one. First have the battery charged and then load tested.
I can't count the number of service calls I have done on tractors that wouldn't start when the owner said dead battery. 90% of the time it turned out to be loose and dirty connections. Clean all connections and don't forget to do were the wires connect to the battery terminal if you have the clamp type. Remove wires from starter and soleniod and clean those connections also.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic