This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hand Cleaner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hand Cleaner
    Posted: 26 Jan 2024 at 8:02am
Always used Go Jo , but lately it's been irritating my hands
Just wondering 🤔 what you fellas use? Been meaning to try those wipes they have. Thanks
Sponsored Links

Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2024 at 8:17am
Mineral spirits followed up with Dawn dishwashing soap and water usually. I do have a tub of "Joe's" hand cleaner but haven't used it in a long while so may not be any good yet.

Old habits are hard to break but over 50 years of doing this so can't be as bad as you'd read.
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2024 at 8:33am

Hey ACinSC,,,,great subject to dwell on,,,,
 I have been a "Shade-Tree fixer of things forever (Hey,where is ole FIXER?)  and used to use the JOE'S (cause that's my name) for the longest and was always satisfied with it's performance until it got hard to find a few years back,,,then like most things it came back very expensive,,,!!
 I then tried several brands and settled on using "Fast Orange" in the big orange jug as it works great and has a goodly amount of pumice to get the ground in oil and  dirt in my crocodile skin,,,,,,,,Wink

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2024 at 8:35am
I've got OMS from using 'harsh' chemicals on my hands.
OMS = Old Man Skin, very thin, bruises easy..that's 'ok', it when it rips off is the PAIN...
 hand cream helps, vitamin D helps but alas can't grow a thick skin....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2024 at 8:40am
Yeah Jay , guess I have OMS too. Backs of hands break out in a rash if I use Go Jo anymore. Dr did write me a Rx cream that knocks it out pretty well .
Thanks !

Edited by ACinSC - 26 Jan 2024 at 1:23pm
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2024 at 8:58am
Lava!
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2024 at 9:27am
Yeah Mike, I also use lava bar soap once I'm in the house, don't have any water in my little shop. Thanks
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2024 at 9:32am
I have found that Dawn removes the grease by itself and just rinse with water.
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2024 at 9:53am
Joe's is the only one I can use that doesn't cause my skin to crack and get very sore.  Ex wife had a real problem with dry skin and cracking on her hands.  She started using the Joe's as a hand cream and problem went away.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2024 at 11:05am
I’m with Joe, have switched to fast orange. I
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2024 at 11:19am
Thanks Phil . May order some Joe's and try it out .
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2024 at 11:37am
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2024 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by tadams(OH) tadams(OH) wrote:

I have found that Dawn removes the grease by itself and just rinse with water.

I keep a few spray bottles of Dawn and water in the garage. I spray some on my hands, rub, rinse and repeat.

I, also, use it to clean grease from whatever I am working on, finding air leaks, etc. 

As I get older, I am using disposable gloves a lot more. As I use them, I like them for more uses. A few days ago, I was rerouting my sump pump drain and gluing 1.5" PVC drainpipe. It sure was nice to take the gloves off and have no glue on my hands.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2024 at 12:18pm
Thanks for the good ideas everyone ! I do have Dawn and disposable gloves in my shop .
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2024 at 2:57pm
So, I've always had some sort of hand cleaner around... when i was young, Dad had Goop... and then they came out with Orange Goop...

When I got married, My wife was somewhat purturb'd by the presence of such things by the kitchen sink, so she moved it beneath the sink...

and then was upset by the presenc and essence of 90wt on the cabinet handle and other products under there... of course, there was nothing i could do to resolve that... so she tolerated having it by the sink.

and one saturday evening, we'd been working hard on projects, and she was tired, and the oven and stove was a greasy mess, so instead of letting her scrape goo, I told her that "I would cook" , which in classic breadwinning husbandform, is pronounced "where would you like to go?"

But before we went out the door, I grabbed a chip brush, threw a cookie sheet in the oven, dumped my Orange Goop in an ice'cream bowl, got down and slathered every square inch of that nasty oven with Goop... then shut the door.

She thought i was totally out of my mind, till we got back from Rastrelli's, when she opened the oven to find it spotless... with all the goo on the cookie sheet.

30 yrs later, we have our own place, and just inside the door is a laundry/mud room with a big sink for washing hands, eggs, and an occasional pet... and a dispenser of some pumice-injected citrus hand cleaner... and when she visits with an ice-cream bowl and a chip brush, I know I'm cooking dinner.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2024 at 3:25pm
My wife can adjust to just about anything EXCEPT that rebuilding carburetors on the kitchen table thing. She still needs some work on that. 

I use methylene chloride and a couple of other products known in the metal finishing arena that work well and have a rather "pungent" smell.

Seldom does she visit "my" bathroom just inside the rear door to the house.
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2024 at 7:24pm
I was using Fast Orange but recently switched over to Cherry Bomb, Dawn mixed with a little Comet works good too. The best thing though is to use disposable gloves. A lot of the chemicals we come in contact with can be readily absorbed through the skin plus it is nice to peel the gloves off and have reasonably clean hands. I buy several boxes at the time from Horrible Fright, usually 7 or 9 mil.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2024 at 7:43pm
Dave Kemp=your lucky the Mrs accepts going out to eat for ‘I will cook’ tonight. Years ago my wife proclaimed that going out to eat ‘does not count’ when I do dinner. I don’t mind cooking, as long as I do it all myself, I hate having help in the kitchen when I cook. Like I tell my wife ‘kitchens are designed for 1 person’. Watch the ‘Iron Chef’ tv show, as massive as that kitchen is, they trip over each other all he time.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2024 at 7:43pm
Fast Orange , with or twithought pumice   Use to use Go Jo but the petroleum smell lingers and if you don't use soap and water soon after or rinse with water it's still oily .
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2024 at 7:59pm

Hey Hubert,,,I laughed for a good 7 minutes at your "Horrible Fright",,,,Now I'm wondering just how many descriptions there are to describe our favorite store,,,,LOLLOL
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2024 at 8:00pm

Hey Coke,,,that is what I remember about the Go Jo's is the oily after smell,,,,,Wink
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2024 at 10:15pm
Used DL for decades then it got pricey and dissappeared. Mule Head original red is best cleaner of any I've tried. Needs water clean up though.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2024 at 5:41am
Been in the mechanic trade seems forever, we used atf or diesel to remove the larger chunks then go-jo with pumice to try to clean any grooves or wrinkles, moved to Any of the citrus based products as while peeling a orange saw it does clean good.
Have been using disposable nitrile gloves more and have seen some improvements but they seem to tear easily wasting that effort most occasions.

Edited by DMiller - 27 Jan 2024 at 5:42am
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2024 at 5:51am
I use Tub O Towels. Have them in my pickup and shop. They work and don't leave my hands sore.https://www.tubotowels.com/
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2024 at 6:13am
Thanks again guys! Ordered some Joe's and plan to buy a tub of towels next time I'm out
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2024 at 6:52am
I can't wear the nitrile or latex gloves two minutes without tearing them on something. I've recently switched over to wearing the "Mechanix" gloves which are  thin and offer good dexterity for impact protection, but I've used my hands so many years that touch, and feel, is important. Try starting a 10-32 nut on a stud or something like that with gloves. Putting rear wheel hubs in an Acura MDX yesterday and things are so tightly grouped no way to wear gloves without hanging them up on something. 

My parts washer has and still works very well for cleaning up the paws. It holds 57 gallons and I distill it about every year or so topping off the little evaporation that does take place, Got my own little scrub brush for under the nails cleaning too along with a few other tools of the trade for cleaning parts.

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2024 at 8:30am
I’ve used fast orange to clean an oil pail to convert to a watering pail. I like that stuff.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2024 at 10:01am
My parts washer has and still works very well for cleaning up the paws. It holds 57 gallons and I distill it about every year or so topping off the little evaporation that does take place, Got my own little scrub brush for under the nails cleaning too along with a few other tools of the trade for cleaning parts.

[/QUOTE]
Distill it?
AC WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2024 at 11:18am
Beaver nut scrub. Bout the only thing thay cuts the duesel oil

Luke
German Shepherd dad
1957 Allis Chalmers WD45
#WD234847
1951 Allis Chalmers WD
#WD88193
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2024 at 1:15pm
I keep a tub of fast orange and bottle of Dawn in the shop. Having water in the shop has been a huge game changer.
I also have a parts washer that (if real greasy/dirty) I’ll run them through that first .
Was folding towels last night since Jenny has a broken ankle and couldn’t get loose from towels from my dry winter skin.
D nicely place a towel on the shelf and it would cling to my hands.
I also have old man skin.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic