This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

H-3 Dozer lower output shaft seals. with PIC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warddc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: H-3 Dozer lower output shaft seals. with PIC
    Posted: 28 Apr 2013 at 3:47pm
I got the turning clutches rebuilt and the fluids changed. Now I found out why the final drive housing oil was slow low. Both lower output shaft seals leak. The ones right behind the drive sprocket that go to the big bull gear in the final drive. Is it possible to change these seals without splitting the track. It looks like I could just remove the bolts holding the sprocket to the shaft flange and tip the sprocket out with the track still on it. It would probably be pretty heavy but I wouldn't have to split the track.

Sound plausible?

Edited by warddc - 28 Apr 2013 at 3:49pm
1962 H-3 Dozer
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2013 at 5:09pm
Yes it can be done that way - in a way it's more work but the track also can be removed without splitting if you can back off adjuster far enough to allow track to be worked over everything . 
 Check the axle for wear at seal surface - you might have to go to a speedy sleeve and a oversize seal to get it to hold oil. You will need room to remove the lower part of housing to get at retainers and also need to get at bearings and snap rings to remove axle.   
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2013 at 6:21pm
If you change them, be advised that there are several upgrades to that seal installation. I thought that we could simply replace the seal with a like kind single lipped seal. We had to replace them a second time as the seal essentially self destructed. I believe the kit that we received used a spacer ring between two separate seals. The original was a single dual lipped seal.  We split the tracks.
warddc View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warddc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2013 at 2:00pm
Interesting.  The book I have for the H-3 shows a four lipped seal (three pointing outboard and one inboard) and a special tool the get the seal on.  I wonder if the new seal method is available and easier to install?
1962 H-3 Dozer
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic