This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

H-3 CRAWLER LOADER

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: H-3 CRAWLER LOADER
    Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 1:29pm
I've been looking for a h-3 dozer without any luck but there is a h-3 crawler with loader for sale in my area, how good of a machine are these and can i get a push blade for the front to do some light dirt pushing? How much is one of these worth in good condition?
Sponsored Links

Kipn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kipn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 7:13pm
Push blades and buckets have different frames. Putting the bucket straight down will push dirt. Paid $1500 for mine 20 years ago in rough shape. Seen them go $3500-5000
in good shape.
1961 H3
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 7:30pm
BV, They made a clam shell bucket for those also. Tracy Martin
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 8:09pm
Between my HD5 B dozer and the HD5G loader I could push more dirt with the loader bucket. I just could not cover a 9ft area in one pass , but as the bucket was narrower i could maintain a higher ground speed 
The 5 B had a 9 ft blade and say 50 HP / My FD5 has a 7 1/2 ft blade and 72 HP but will push 3 times to dirt the 5 B did in half the time. 
 Figure that H3 is 40 HP at tops and a 8ft blade , might be fine for finish and light work but it isn't a construction machine it's industrial grade.  
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 4:41am
BV: Lots of good advice above.  Here are a few things to consider.  H-3 with a 1066 loader on it is a reasonably good machine if used within its design capacity - most that I have looked at have had multiple operators since their production period of 1960 - 1968 - thus multiple defects. 

I have never personally seen an H-3 with a clamshell bucket on the front which is generally referred to as a Drott bucket.  I believe they were out there though and if it operates correctly - the Drott bucket then I think it would be advantagous.  I have a factory straight blade that can go in place of the bucket so one would have to pull the pins to mount up the blade.  

Wear points to consider - like any machine care is important.  Be aware that the bucket on the H-3 could easily be overloaded.  Because the bucket extends out in front of the machine the overloaded bucket could set up a rocking horse effect even when the machine had weights on the back.  If the H-3 you are looking at is a shovel, then the machine should have a total of eight flat weights on the back.  If not, recommend if you consider the machine you find the weights.  

Another point to consider is the C channel frame that the bottom rollers attach to.  Pay particular attention to the area of the frame where the front idler ends and the gusseting that communicates the two C channels together.  Dead load carried in the bucket has to be transferred to some point.  The point that takes up that "dead load" is the frame where the idler opening ends and the gusseting begins.  This area is particularly prone to cracking. 9/10 H-3 I have looked at have a crack at this location. 
That said, like any steel tracked machine metal on metal wear needs to be considered.  Like Coke noted above the H-3 is designed for light duty - residential and farm work - it has a fantastic tractive potential - check out the Nebraska test for the H-3.

In good condition I would say 3,500 - 5,000 consistent with what Kip noted.   An HD-5G or HD6 G would easily out compete and H-3 with a 1066 loader. JMO
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic