This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

H3 and HD3 pros and cons

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: H3 and HD3 pros and cons
    Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 11:28am
Hey all, dad has been thinking of picking up an H3 locally with blade and winch on the back. Also, he and my grandpa bought a parts HD3 with no engine years ago.

My question, are there any well known problems with these model dozers? Or are they all like the rest, undercarriage, sprockets are usually the big items for wear and tear?

thanks, don
Sponsored Links

Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 9:15pm
Here are pictures....

Havent bought it yet, but stopped today, owner wants scrap price, or $200 a ton, so if this weighs in at 7500 #, then around $600-$800 bucks. Fair price? Said it ran 5 to 10 years ago.

Heck of a winch on the back, looks like it would pull alot.

Also, its a 1962, serial # 4227

Edited by Don(MI) - 03 Jul 2011 at 9:58pm
kip in cny View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kip in cny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 10:36pm
I would say thats a fair price.  Your right on the pros and cons under side.  But sitting that long I would say the clutches are stuck. 
160 CA 920diesel 5020 HD-3
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 5:21am
I agree with Kip, the price is right.   If the machine has the original OEM chains,  please be aware that the 1.750" PINs and bushings are no longer available.  Later chain was upsized to 1.875" and is still currently available.  Track adjusters were also upsized from 
from 1.250" to 1.500" in models after say 1963.

Also, recommend that you inspect the C channel closest to the end of the idler near the track adjuster because the  the C channel which supports the idler and roller group can crack due to stress fatigue where the idler wheel ends and the top gusset plate is located. The cracking occurs from the stress loads placed on the idler and the C channel in this area could have been upsized.  The defect is particularly evident on H-3's with loaders on them.  If cracked, it is likely that you will need to pull the whole rail and have the crack welded or reinforced.  

Last, the machine is an excellent machine in tractive potential, see Nebraska test for the records the H-3 set.  Craig Cannon was the original Allis Engineer who designed the machine from the Allis T-100 prototype crawler.  The 3 replaced the M in the Allis Crawler line.  

Good luck either way you go.  If you need further help or advice, will help if I can.  

Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 4:47pm
I have had an HD3 for 10 years and love it, however it does have 4 clutches. Engine Clutch, shuttle clutch, and two steering clutches. Forward of the clutches it is all D-15 and easy to fix.  In addition, the final drive seals are a problem to keep from leaking. We just resealed the sprocket shaft seals last summer and have finally fixed it. 
Kipn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kipn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 11:16am
I've had my H3 almost 20 years. Paid $1500 and put about another $1k into it recently. My track is worn but works for the amount of time that I need it to. Scrap price is fine and agree with what everybody else has said. Not very hard to work on. A model 400 winch in '62 were $1k new. Still valuable today.
1961 H3
Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 12:07pm
Well, made it home today. Another project! Will have to see what condition the engine is in after being outside for about 10 years, good thing, the exhaust has been covered and other than rust everything is there.

That 400 Winch is really cool! I like how the Diamond logo is cast right into the housing, on both sides of the rollers!

Galatians 5:22-24

"I got a pig at home in a pen and corn to feed him on, All I need is a pretty little girl to feed him when I'm gone!"
Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 12:24pm
How about the roll cage? Is that original? Or something that the other owner bolted on there?

"I got a pig at home in a pen and corn to feed him on, All I need is a pretty little girl to feed him when I'm gone!"
Brian S(NY) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian S(NY) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 1:20pm
NICE!
God made man.Sam colt made man equal.
Kipn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kipn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 1:01pm
I have a '62 dealer price list with all the options and don't remember any roll cage on it.
1961 H3
Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 9:09pm
Just an update, SHE RUNS!!!!

Thats right, as of today, SHE RUNS!!!! Got it fired up today for the first time in many years, and not only does it run, it runs smoooth!!!

Still can't believe it! Its going to need major OH on the undercarriage, but luckily we have another HD3 with no engine and good undercarriage, so we are thinking a swap will be happening in the near future!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic