This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grandfathers CA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CA13414 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2024 at 10:07pm
That makes sense.  If it is too thick, we run the risk of a loose bearing which will not be good. With this, i think a good layer of PermaTex on all the surfaces will do the trick.  

Regarding the seal, a great idea.  i will look and see if I can find one.  It seams like this is leaking carrier. I will drain the oil before we remove and once removed see if I can tell it is "running" or "leaking" from the seal or the carrier.

Thanks for all in insight Steve...... Much appreciated!!
Helping the aged survive and thrive! 1953 CA
Sponsored Links

CA13414 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CA13414 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2024 at 8:17am
What do you think about something like this. I will get my calipers and measure the shims. If it’s approximately 1/64 would you replace the shims with this gasket?

https://www.mcmaster.com/product/9402K21
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2024 at 1:38pm
the gasket is only 1/16 inch thick so it probably will not compress much.. But if your using 3-4 of them between all the shims, the  "compression" can add up.. I still like the permatex idea better.. Compress once and your done... plus , your only putting it on 2 thousandths thick..
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
CA13414 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CA13414 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2024 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

the gasket is only 1/16 inch thick so it probably will not compress much.. But if your using 3-4 of them between all the shims, the  "compression" can add up.. I still like the permatex idea better.. Compress once and your done... plus , your only putting it on 2 thousandths thick..

PermaTex it is.  Thanks again for all the insight!!!

< id="idg-io-safe-browsing-enabled" ="" oninit="true">

Edited by CA13414 - 12 Jun 2024 at 7:11pm
CA13414 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CA13414 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2024 at 8:53pm

I dont have a specific seal that is double lip.. Just know they make them.. I had a 75 year old "B" that had groove cut in the shaft and always dripped.. I got the ID and OD and bought a seal that was DOUBLE LIP and  probably 1/8 inch THICKER than original and installed that..

Thanks Steve!

I just ordered a double lip seal that "should fit!" With PermaTex and this seal, we should be in good condition!!!

Edited by CA13414 - 13 Jun 2024 at 9:43pm
CA13414 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CA13414 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2024 at 10:24am
Was back at the farm this weekend with the family and my brothers, sister and I grabbed a few other pieces.  Mostly interested in the differential carrier.  Using the John Deere tractor loader and a chain, Milwaukee impact, we separated the final drive shaft and removed the carrier.  Plan to use this in place of the one that is worn as previously post. 

Just need to clean it up and exchange the bearing race.

Edited by CA13414 - 16 Jun 2024 at 8:38pm
CA13414 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CA13414 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2024 at 8:19pm
A bit more done today.  Took apart the left wheel and seperated the rim and hub.  Will take this to the shop to take off the tire.  Will plan to sand blast these in the next weeks. Then paint the rims black and the hubs orange. Then have the new rear tires mounted.

Used a fiber optic camera from Amazon to look and see where the oil was leaking from the left final axil.  Camera worked awesome from my iPhone and was only about $18 after the 30% discount.  

While a bit dark, despite the LED lights, was easy to see the leak on the left differential seal.  

Here are a few images.  Clearly the seal is leaking and not between the surface of the carrier and differential.  I have to think this is where the carrier was worn and the seal did not have good seat and seal. Using JB Weld would work well here as previously noted.

You see as an example there is no leakage between the carrier and differential case.

Once we have the double lip seal, we will take this apart and reassemble with the new seal and the carrier we picked up from the farm this past weekend.  

Edited by CA13414 - 18 Jun 2024 at 8:29pm
CA13414 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CA13414 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2024 at 5:49am
I want to replace the bearing race in the carrier from the farm since it has a few pits.  I am not sure if I can change out the one in the worn differential carrier with the farm carrier without damage.  I also have not yet found a new bearing race online yet

Thoughts exchanging or a place to buy an new differential bearing race/cup for the carrier

Edited by CA13414 - 19 Jun 2024 at 5:50am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2024 at 8:16am
This is an old list i used when i rebuilt my "B" ... should be the same.. I got the numbers off the bearings themselves..

Transmission & Differential:
Differential Carrier Seal - CR #11343, National #410163R
Differential Carrier/Bull Pinion Speedi-Sleeve - CR #99125
Differential Carrier Cup - Timken #25520
Differential Carrier Cone - Timken #25580

Input Shaft Cup - Timken #15250
Input Shaft Cone - Timken #15120
Input Shaft Seal - CR #11800, National #450162 (471765)

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2024 at 8:20am
You can buy CHINA versions about half the price of this......you can install a cup / cone from two different manufactures as a NOT MATCHED SET.... Can work, but can also get a little "whine" when running.. I always MATCH the cup / cone.  Check size below

• Part Number: 25580/25520
  • ID: 1-3/4 inch , OD: 3-17/64 inch, Width: 15/16 inch

Edited by steve(ill) - 19 Jun 2024 at 8:22am
CA13414 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CA13414 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2024 at 7:22pm

You can buy CHINA versions about half the price of this......you can install a cup / cone from two different manufactures as a NOT MATCHED SET.... Can work, but can also get a little "whine" when running.. I always MATCH the cup / cone.  Check size below

• Part Number: 25580/25520
  • ID: 1-3/4 inch , OD: 3-17/64 inch, Width: 15/16 inch

Outstanding and thanks Steve!!!  Just ordered this unit and will plan to use the race/cup so they match.

Much appreciated.!!

Edited by CA13414 - 19 Jun 2024 at 7:22pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic