This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grading scraper

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m16ty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grading scraper
    Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 11:06pm
I think Grading scraper is the correct term. It's these driveway graders you see, with 2 short cutting edges on a angle that let the gravel flow over the top of the cutting edges. Anyway, has anybody around here used one and can tell me if they are any good?

I've watched several Youtube videos of them and people talk like they are a miracle implement for your gravel drive. The problem is, when I watch the videos, it looks like the grading scraper is just flattening everything out. I've got close to 1/2 mile of gravel drive to maintain, and it would be nice to just make a couple of passes with something every now and then, but I don't want a flat drive. You need a crown in the driveway to shed the water, because if you don't, water will just pool on it and make more potholes. 

If anybody has used one of these things, can you make or maintain your driveway crown with them?
Sponsored Links

Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 11:20pm
We use one on the farm I dont see how you could build a crown in the road with one.it works great for leveling the one we use its borrowed has ripping teeth infront box ends and two grader blades angled in opposite directions it tears the hard dirt moves it left than right and levels at the back the end skids stay on the ground and the box ends keep the dirt from spreading out. It takes a 130 hp tractor to be effective with a 9ft wide one
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 5:40am
The late, old farmer cross the street used to drag some heavy chains, EVERY Sunday after church...before brunch was ready. He had the BEST gravel driveway in the county ! 600-700 feet long and smooth.....
Maybe 5-6  round trips, in 1st gear.
I'm thinking the 'trick' was he did it EVERY sunday...not once a year like the new owner does, maybe....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 6:13am
I made one for my skid steer. I'm familiar with what you are talking about and it looked to aggressive adjustment not. Most of it is 2" angle iron. The side edges are some POS clamp on bucket pallet forks I got from Titan.

I just pull the gravel up out of the sides of the drive with the tractor blade then level it with
the 'land plane'. Works very slick and quick. 3 point would work just as well I think I don't know if you would have to weigh it down or just go off your top link adjustment.

I have a 1/2 mile drive and it can be a PITA sometimes. Been dragging this drive way for close to 30 years and this is by far the best and easiest.
Have $200 in it.
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 6:30am
About 25 years ago I extended the frame on a WD with some old WD frame channels about 4 ft. Moved the wide front to the end useing holes in the added on frame, then I built a ten foot grader blade.   The blade has hydraulic up and down plus swing 45* left and right.  Tractor has power steering.   All hyd run off original WD pump routed thru three spool control valve.   Works like real road grader so you can keep a crown to shed water.
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 6:36am
I would say that if your grader is the same width as your driveway and you make one pass; yes you'll flatten it out and not have a crown. But if you can make a pass on each side of the driveway, you should be able to retain a crown in the middle. Darrel
Ross D. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 8:47am
Good morning.
    Having been in and out of a lot of laneways in the forty years of constructing farm buildings, I believe that the second best grading system is the A C scraper blade. Here is the Georgetown farmer George Bird, doing his newly acquired farm lane in Rockwood, Ontario.

The drag behind boxes, upside down spike harrows, 6ft. wide fencing, etc., seem to make a mess by taking off the centre ridge and flipping the larger stones to the top. Larger stones do not appear to be friendly to car and truck tires.

The best way to grade is with the 'D Special' grader. Here is my grader doing a 1/2 mile laneway in Georgetown, Ont.. You can control the gravel for side ditch clean out, slope grading for the sides and centre crowning.

Here is a picture of Calvin Schmidt, using my 'D Special' to place gravel in a laneway of a house that is now owned by Justine Bieber, near Stratford, Ont..

Ross D. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 8:51am
Sorry about the picture sizing. (Oh, Justin, not Justine). I am trouble loading the picture of Calvin.
   Ross.

JoeO(CMO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeO(CMO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 9:32am
Boy! I sure like the looks of that "D" grader!

I recall dad using a chain on the drive, he had it hooked on each end.
I was watching the action of the dirt/gravel pulling at a good angle at the ends and depositing it at the "U" portion of the chain would give it a crown just like the fella above mentioned, going slow will let the chain do a better job, as opposed to bouncing. I watched many things, looking back, such as this as I was too small/young to be in control.

Edited by JoeO(CMO) - 09 Apr 2020 at 9:34am

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 1:08am
drag an old spike tooth harrow section back and forth.
Wes (VA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wes (VA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 6:41am
Ive got 3 project D graders, let me sell ya one of those!
Ross D. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 8:01am
Hi. Here is the picture of Calvin that I tried to send yesterday. Again, sorry for the sizing.   Ross D.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic