This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gordon Lightfoot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gordon Lightfoot
    Posted: 02 Jun 2022 at 8:03pm
The wife and I had a great Saturday evening at the LERNER THEATRE to the Lighfoot concert. I did NOT realize how tall he is or that he's 83 years old Embarrassed !! Other than he no longer has his "bassy" voice from years past, he performed for pretty much 2 hours  and used 3 different guitars during the "set". The last live concert I was at was at ND with Alan Jackson performing, I enjoyed the Lightfoot concert better Smile .
Sponsored Links

AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2022 at 8:27pm
He's a living legend. 
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2022 at 10:01pm
The last live concert I attended was The Steve Miller Band. A year or two after graduation from HS, Dane County Coliseum, Madison WI. Steve Miller was so intoxicated, he could barely sing. Horrible performance, since that night, any time a Steve Miller song comes on the radio, if possible I switch stations.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2022 at 10:50pm
I saw Sha Na Na in College... about 1974 !
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 1:01am
Gordon is a really nice guy, and as a result, he's always been able to get really great musicians to come up with the right sounds and textures to fill out his compositions.  A perfect example is pedal-steel virtuoso Pee Wee Charles' work on Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, and Spanish Moss.  Anyone who's heard those songs played by cover acts, will recognize that something very, very necessary is missing, if Charles' pedal-steel part isn't there.

Gord has had some close calls, and many challenges, but he's not only pleasant to everyone he meets, there was a time when he seemed to remember every face, and every story of anyone he met.  I've been to many of his shows, the first was with my uncle who shared a stage with him at a bluegrass/folk festival in the mid-late '70's... and he recognized and remembered me at the show I saw about 8 years ago...

Fast forward to August of '19, these anonymously showed up in my mailbox:

There was several reschedules due to an injury, flu, and COVID, but he finally got back here in March, for another great show.  I totally doubt that when I'm 80, I'll be able to stand and play a 2 hour concert... this gettin' old $#it ain't for sissies...
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 6:06am
Speaking of intoxicated performers: Back in the early 60s I saw Johnny Cash perform at the county fair. The Stage was a flat trailer with a van trailer behind it with a big side door on the ball field in front of the bleachers. Johnny Cash was so messed up he had to be turned around multiple times to be facing the crowd and almost fell off the trailer a couple of times. Although after he started to play, he really played for the next couple of hours. This was a free show for the fairs goers. 
  I also remember seeing Kenny Rogers and the First Edition play a free show on the Atlantic City Steel Pier Back in the 60s when they first started touring. They were wearing suits and ties before they started wearing those wild costumes.

Edited by PaulB - 03 Jun 2022 at 6:06am
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 6:56am
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

I saw Sha Na Na in College... about 1974 !
Hahaha!  Nice.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 7:01am
Y'all probably wouldn't be too impressed with my taste in music.  I enjoy concerts and have been to several, but it has been a few years.  Alice Cooper at a city park maybe 8 years ago was the last.  He would be way down on the "mild" side of what I like.  Got a real doozy coming up in October, and I can't friggin' wait!!!
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 8:17am
I listen to the church choir.
It's free, and pretty darn good music. Not putting any drug money in over paid celebrities pockets
Darrel
Wayne180d View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne180d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 9:44am
I have never paid for a live concert other than the Statler Brothers.  I have won tickets to see Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, George Strait and Dierks Bently.  I;m biased Willie put on the best concert followed by George Strait.
Morpar55 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morpar55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 10:12am
I have tickets to go see Sammy Hagar and the Circle with George Thorogood in a couple of weeks, plus ZZ Top, and the Motley Crue/ Poison/ Def Leppard/ Joan Jett show. My last show was Megadeth last summer.
1959 AC D17 Gas with some updates
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 10:38am
Originally posted by Morpar55 Morpar55 wrote:

I have tickets to go see Sammy Hagar and the Circle with George Thorogood in a couple of weeks, plus ZZ Top, and the Motley Crue/ Poison/ Def Leppard/ Joan Jett show. My last show was Megadeth last summer.
There ya' go!!! (for the most partWinkLOL)
JimIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 11:48am
Originally posted by DaveKamp DaveKamp wrote:

Gordon is a really nice guy, and as a result, he's always been able to get really great musicians to come up with the right sounds and textures to fill out his compositions.  A perfect example is pedal-steel virtuoso Pee Wee Charles' work on Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, and Spanish Moss.  Anyone who's heard those songs played by cover acts, will recognize that something very, very necessary is missing, if Charles' pedal-steel part isn't there.

Gord has had some close calls, and many challenges, but he's not only pleasant to everyone he meets, there was a time when he seemed to remember every face, and every story of anyone he met.  I've been to many of his shows, the first was with my uncle who shared a stage with him at a bluegrass/folk festival in the mid-late '70's... and he recognized and remembered me at the show I saw about 8 years ago...

Fast forward to August of '19, these anonymously showed up in my mailbox:

There was several reschedules due to an injury, flu, and COVID, but he finally got back here in March, for another great show.  I totally doubt that when I'm 80, I'll be able to stand and play a 2 hour concert... this gettin' old $#it ain't for sissies...

Thats really cool.  I saw John Prine at the Adler about ten years ago.  Great venue, great show.  John and Gordon were good friends and Gordon was a hero of John's.

Jim
An open eye is much more observant than an open mouth
JimIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 12:07pm
Im a big music fan and have been to a lot of great musicians but in my mind if you want to see talent go to the "underground or outlaw" artists.  They do the music they want to do and are there because they are passionate about it.  

One of my favorites is retiring this year-Robert Earl Keen. Unfortunately I dont think I will catch one of his shows this year.  Ive seen him three times and loved each show.  Last one was with him and his old college buddy Lyle Lovette.  The two sat on stage, sang songs and told stories, it was like hanging out in their living room.

Few others I have been lucky to see, Willie Nelson, John Prine, Dwight Yokum, Shooter Jennings, The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Cross Canadian Ragweed, Cody Canada and the departed, Corb Lund, Steve Earle, Miranda Lambert, Creedence Clearwater Revisited, Kathy Mattea, Roseanne Cash, Ricky Skags, Jim and Jessie, Lee Greenwood, The Judds, Sha Na Na, James McMurtry, The Bottle Rockets and Im sure theres some Im forgetting at the moment.  

Jim
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 12:14pm
Not one, but  2 Sha Na Na attendees!!!!  LOL
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 1:06pm
In the 80's local fair was getting the really big names in  many types of music and comedy.  One I remember best is Red Shenton. He was way up in years and surprised many good he was still that good. But several top country acts where having a bad day and not worth the effort to go. But also several on their way up as opening acts, that several years latter where the head liners. 

Oh to be young again. Shute the combine down at 8 rush home clean up drive a 1/2 hour to town. Go to the 9 pm show that was the 10 pm show most times. Maybe in bed by 1 by pm and be back at the combine at 8 the next morning.  
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 1:31pm
I like Gordy's music!
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by JimIA JimIA wrote:

Thats really cool.  I saw John Prine at the Adler about ten years ago.  Great venue, great show.  John and Gordon were good friends and Gordon was a hero of John's.

Please don't bury me in that cold, cold ground... Wink  
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
JimIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 8:52am
Originally posted by DaveKamp DaveKamp wrote:

Please don't bury me in that cold, cold ground... Wink  

Sell my heart to the junk man and give my love to Rose Smile

If there was ever a guy who truly enjoyed life it was John.  Miss him a lot.  
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 7:59pm
If you smile to verify you've only one tooth it will get you front row at most Willie Nelson concerts. Best done with thumbs hooked into your Oshkosh by gosh Bibs.

Edited by Walker - 04 Jun 2022 at 8:21pm
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by Walker Walker wrote:

Best done with thumbs hooked into your Oshkosh by gosh Bibs.

I don't wear junk... KEY Imperials, or NOTHING!  Wink
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 11:44pm
Oshkosh quit making big boy clothes years ago...gotta be a toddler.
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2022 at 12:00am
I hate to see a catchy slogan go to waste.
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2022 at 7:33am

Im a big music fan and have been to a lot of great musicians but in my mind if you want to see talent go to the "underground or outlaw" artists.  They do the music they want to do and are there because they are passionate about it.  

One of my favorites is retiring this year-Robert Earl Keen. Unfortunately I dont think I will catch one of his shows this year.  Ive seen him three times and loved each show.  Last one was with him and his old college buddy Lyle Lovette.  The two sat on stage, sang songs and told stories, it was like hanging out in their living room.

Few others I have been lucky to see, Willie Nelson, John Prine, Dwight Yokum, Shooter Jennings, The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Cross Canadian Ragweed, Cody Canada and the departed, Corb Lund, Steve Earle, Miranda Lambert, Creedence Clearwater Revisited, Kathy Mattea, Roseanne Cash, Ricky Skags, Jim and Jessie, Lee Greenwood, The Judds, Sha Na Na, James McMurtry, The Bottle Rockets and Im sure theres some Im forgetting at the moment.  

Jim

You're talking My kind of music. Used to have satellite radio when I was driving truck. Was on Outlaw Country most of the day. Now I use YouTube Music on my phone to stream my favorite artists.
If you haven't already, you should check out Tyler Childers' Little Feathered Indians and Whitehouse Road. Buddy at work turned me onto Billy Strings. His song Dust In A Baggie is reminiscent of a Johnny Cash storyline song.
I recently found another artist by the name of Warren Zeiders. He couldn't work due to the COVID lockdowns, so he he started putting out YouTube videos of him singing and playing his guitar. Ended up putting out a couple albums.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
JimIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2022 at 8:53am
Originally posted by truckerfarmer truckerfarmer wrote:

Jim

You're talking My kind of music. Used to have satellite radio when I was driving truck. Was on Outlaw Country most of the day. Now I use YouTube Music on my phone to stream my favorite artists.
If you haven't already, you should check out Tyler Childers' Little Feathered Indians and Whitehouse Road. Buddy at work turned me onto Billy Strings. His song Dust In A Baggie is reminiscent of a Johnny Cash storyline song.
I recently found another artist by the name of Warren Zeiders. He couldn't work due to the COVID lockdowns, so he he started putting out YouTube videos of him singing and playing his guitar. Ended up putting out a couple albums.

Have never heard of Warren Zeiders.  Will have to look him up.  Love Childers' stuff, Feathered Indians is my favorite,  Billy Strings is my list to listen to more of.  Added a few others to my seen list this weekend.  Saw the Turnpike Troubadours, Steve Earle and the Old 97s opened up for them.  Great show.  The Troubadours would be all over the radio if the company executives  didnt think country music should be crappy rap pop.  Very talented band.  

Jim
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2022 at 8:39pm
👍
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic