This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Going to look at a Fiat-Allis 11b

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD11 owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Going to look at a Fiat-Allis 11b
    Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 5:07pm
to possibly purchase. I sent my 1957 11b down to the scrap yard. It just needed too much to spend on it. Main thing was the undercarriage was wore completely out. 
The 11b I'm going to look at is a 76 model. 
 I know undercarriage parts are hard to come by and have seen on here you can convert them to the cat D5 rails, rollers and sprocket segments. How much should that cost? Or were these changed on the fiat models a different undercarriage? 
The 11000 motor is hard to get parts for also. What is the best for a conversion motor? I did find a reman motor on line and seems I can find most kits, but just wonder if I'm incorrect on the availability of these parts?
I think this machine I'm going to look at is pretty sound mechanically. I really just want an idea of things that I may need to be do in the future. I probably will only do 50-100 hours of work a year with it and probably closer to the 50.

Edited by HD11 owner - 15 Feb 2021 at 5:27pm
Sponsored Links

HD11 owner View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD11 owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 5:23pm
I have another question on the 11b. The dealer said the engine hours were messed up because the guy left the battery switch on and the hour meter keeps running if you don't shut the battery switch off. The fellow that had it also kept a battery tender on it too so the batteries stay charged and it was in the shed for several years this way. I think he's honest about it. The were an allis chalmers farm equipment dealer and new holland equipment is now their main line. Hoping to go see it at the end of the week weather permitting and its in shed.

I believe these are a wet clutch or am I wrong? What were the weak points on the fiat made machines or are they same exact machine as the last Allis Calmers models.  
 I saw a 16b for sale in indiana but it's probably bigger than  I need for what I need to do such as fixing water ways and cleaning up some more trees. I got most of it done with the old 11 and my eyes watered a little when I loaded it up.

Edited by HD11 owner - 15 Feb 2021 at 5:35pm
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 6:48pm
My memory is getting old, but i though all the 11B tractors were built to original spec in the Springfield Illinois Plant.. When FIAT and ALLIS got together, FIAT had a FD14 tractor of similar size.. within a few years they upgraded it to a 14C tractor and phased out the 11B about that time........... at least thats the way i remember it.. 11B= USA , 14C= FIAT.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 8:11pm
If the undercarriage is in usable condition and it runs well, being 50 years old not a lot more to know without a honest owner or operator that knows said machine. If there is room to operate and warm transmission and do some pushing (assuming power shift) and see if it slips  or has other abnormities (I don't operate anything but old gear drive, so I don't know all the test tricks) not much else you can do.

Another old time trick is look at wear on pedals,  deck plates, and levers. But you need a reference point of having seen other equipment to gauge use. 

Why AC and IH equipment needs to be priced much cheaper than Cat in my option. Cat is still making parts or has them for most 50's,60's and 70's dozers. Not so much for AC and IH. Not that the dozers are not capable, just one part breaking can put you out of business.

Edited by Ray54 - 15 Feb 2021 at 8:14pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic