This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GM pulling out of Oshawa

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GM pulling out of Oshawa
    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 6:22am
Well that's the big news this week...sigh, 2500 great paying jobs lost, another 2500 lesser ones like resaurants, coffee shop, corner stores... The 'domino' effect will be huge.
What really hurts is that we, Canadian taxpayers GAVE GM millions and millions to them, and now they leave !! Course the head idiot here 'forgave' the BILLION buck load to Chyrsler last month.
GM said they're going to toolup for e-cars, I assume in Mexico ? though you've got a mnor boarder problem at the moment.
I remember when Butler Buildings the same thing, closed down Cdn bldg systems. That has cost me $1,000/month.

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Sponsored Links

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 7:48am
Oshawa; Lordstown, OH; Hamtramck, MI; Warren, MI, and Baltimore, MD.

Expected to save $6B in overhead costs, 25% reduction in executives, while adding much more entry level engineers.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 9:47am
Thought Fiat had paid back everything on the Chrysler bailout . 
Seems GM is giving the SHAFT to many again after the Obama saving jobs deal 
First GM stockholders and bond holders got taken with the Old Stock bankruptcy - now GM again says OOPS we are going to change direction and drop the cars we said were the future . 
 Almost looks like GM is saying hay Obama gave us CASH and we are going to play politics now with peoples lives and make Trump and Conservatives bad looking 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 9:50am
What i still see as the ODD thing is pickups which use to be the low end vehicle sold to working stiffs to carry their tools of the trade are now the LUXURY platform demanding $50,000 + starting prices .
 Also the SUV  is the next line or a CADILLAC Suburban ...A STATUS symbol of owning a name plate in a unit that was a heavy haul station wagon years back and built on truck platform   
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 10:33am
Shameless, a high falutin hillbilly??? LOLLOLWink

Hillbilly | Definition of Hillbilly by Merriam-Webster

Hillbilly definition is - a person from a backwoods area

I know snow, but I couldn't resist.

Edited by chaskaduo - 27 Nov 2018 at 10:37am
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 10:50am
No Coke, &^&*& Trudeau 'forgave' the one BILLION dollar loan.... maybe 2 months ago(?) No wonder we can't afford 100,000 migrants a year that HE says we have to allow....
Also found out most( a LOT) of GM cars being built in Korea and Caddies are Made in China ! Ford sells 8X more Fseries trucks than ALL combined car sales.
What 'irks' me the most is the one sided deals the guv makes. Here, take our money..no that's OK, no 'strings' attached.... I'd have said ,'for every million Canada invests in you, you will STAY in Canada for 1 calendar year'.

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 10:54am
hurray for Government Motors!
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 10:57am
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

Expected to save $6B in overhead costs, 25% reduction in executives, while adding much more entry level engineers.

any bets on who the 25% reduction in executives will be? could it be the ones Obama didn't get in the first round?
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 11:08am
Originally posted by LouSWPA LouSWPA wrote:

Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

any bets on who the 25% reduction in executives will be? could it be the ones Obama didn't get in the first round?
Don't know.....

A young man who I used to supervise works for GM, he texted me yesterday what I just wrote here.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 11:12am
Originally posted by LouSWPA LouSWPA wrote:

hurray for Government Motors!

ClapClapClap
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 11:18am
What saddens me about these kinds of things is they always seem to happen at this time of year.  People are trying to celebrate the holidays and then find out they won't have a job.  Lowes is closing a lot of stores right now.  Kmart/Sears are closing stores on a regular basis.  But, here in the U.S.A. they can always get one of the multitude of new jobs that are currently available . . . somewhere!!!

I did hear a while back that GM told the employees, if they didn't take the profit sharing checks this wouldn't happen.  The employees took the checks.  But GM probably would have done it anyway, anyway.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 11:20am
Originally posted by john(MI) john(MI) wrote:

I did hear a while back that GM told the employees, if they didn't take the profit sharing checks this wouldn't happen.  The employees took the checks.  But GM probably would have done it anyway, anyway.
If that's true......well that's some seriously jacked up thinking on GM's part, and heck no I wouldn't trust they'd keep their word!!!Angry 
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 1:51pm
So much for a UNION contract then, HUH?
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 2:00pm
Union has not meant much for quite a few years, the younger generations have taken the seat as to negotiations and cower against the well seasoned HR people. That is happening at where I used to work currently and see it ever more other locations. Old guys are bailing as fast as can retire before pensions die off.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic