This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GM Mechanics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GM Mechanics
    Posted: 31 Jan 2022 at 12:04pm
Hi Guys,
    I was driving my 2004 Silverado pickup the other day and it just quit.    It was overnight temps of -20 or more and I started it up (grudgingly) for about 5 minutes and started down the road.  I got about a quarter mile down the road and it just died.  No warning or anything, just quit running.
    At first I was thinking fuel line freeze, but I don't think that's it.  I dumped in 2 bottles of heat and it didn't help.
    It's got 180,000 miles on it and had a previous codes:
Trouble Codes
1    P0304 Chevy Silverado
        Chevy Silverado P0304: Cylinder 4  Misfire Detected
2    P0446 Chevy Silverado
        P0446: Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Control Circuit Malfunction

Got any ideas where I should start to get it running again?  It's just TOO damn cold out to work on it for any length of time....  Would a coil pack just up and quit?

TAT guys

"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Sponsored Links

Ron(AB) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron(AB) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2022 at 12:13pm
fuel pump would be the next guess...can you hear it purr when you turn the key on?

Then fuses...

Are you sure it wasn't frozen water in tank?
405, 7000, 7050, 8050, 8070, L3, 2300 & 2600 disk
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2022 at 12:34pm
Whoop the gas tank with a 2x4 and seee if the fuel pump kicks in.
Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2022 at 1:49pm
Ted you didn't say what engine but I drove vy at work for over 20 years and had 4 of them do the same thing all 4 where the fuel pump, you can try doing what Thad said it may or mayn't work but it's just a short time fix if it works. Just had the same thing on grandson blazer.

Edited by Kenny L. - 31 Jan 2022 at 1:51pm
dee_veloper View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dee_veloper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2022 at 2:40pm
Check for fuel pressure.
Don't confuse my personality with my attitude.
My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2022 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by dee_veloper dee_veloper wrote:

Check for fuel pressure.
How do I go about doing that? Where is the line to do this at?
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2022 at 4:37pm
My 2002 F150 had a schrader valve on the fuel line to test.. ( My 2013 Does NOT).... You dont even need a guage, just push the center button and see if it SQUIRTS.. should have about 40 psi stored up if the pump is working..

Like them all, but love the "B"s.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2022 at 7:25pm
how do you you know if you have 20 psi or 40 psi pushing the valve core with your fingernail or screwdriver?  cause it wont run at 20      
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2022 at 8:48pm
Pushing the pin is just a way to see if the pump is working... If you relieve the pressure, and then cycle the key a couple times and the pressure comes back, then the pump is working.... but your right, you dont know the pressure... just the pump is running.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2022 at 10:20pm
ive had that happen one both suburbans and both vans all around the 200K mile mark turned out to be the fuel pump every time. it should run for 3 sec when you turn the key. usually you can hear it run. sometimes wacking the bottom of the tank will get it going one more time. there is a pressure port on the fuel line usually near the manifold it should have 55 to 60 psi and hold after pump shuts off. the pump is inside the tank but not realy that hard to change assuming you have a warm place and concrete floor. i put mine up on ramps and use a tranny jack. the on i changed last month took 1 1/2 hours most of that was draing as much fuel as possiable. i take the fill hose off at tank and put a shypon hose with a 1/2' nut on the end in and start with a simple hand pump.
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2022 at 6:28am
I had a Chevy pickup,,once
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2022 at 7:49am
I did too. You could hear it rusting away from a pretty good distance so always knew where it was.

Actually was a pretty good truck. I drove almost 300K before putting it down and purchased my Dodge which is doing much the same at 252K currently.  
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 1:03am
fuel pump
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic