This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gleaner L4 Video

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gleaner L4 Video
    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 9:54am
Really neat to actually see one in action. Wonder where it's at? 

Edited by CrestonM - 07 Aug 2020 at 9:54am
Sponsored Links

Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 6:50pm
Neat video. Thanks Creston. After watching the video I did some research. Turns out this was by a farm equipment dealership just north of Alma, Ontario, Canada. About an hour from my place. Was just by there a couple days ago.  Maybe Calvin Schmidt knows something more about it. He is down in that area.  😀
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 7:11pm
Any guess as to the width of the header on the machine in the video? Seemed kind of narrow for an "L" machine Ouch . Looks might be deceiving though Smile . Great photography/video work, and an awesome looking harvest set up in the field Wink !! Thanks for the link !!

Edited by FREEDGUY - 07 Aug 2020 at 7:12pm
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 7:14pm
15 or 16 ft.
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 7:32pm
That part of Ont is really good farm country as you can see. Expensive land and high yields.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 8:51pm
I was surprised to find a video of one. I've seen a few photos of them floating around the internet, but never a video. I was fortunate enough to get a sales brochure for them on eBay (last I checked I think they still have some). Hopefully someday I'll get to see one in person. 
Darold Swenson was one of the big pushers of the L4, and he was out of Saskatchewan. Would be really neat to talk to him or some of the other people involved with the machine. 
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 9:07pm
My opinion of what the "L-4" actually is, is nothing more than an L-3 with a small block Cummins engine in it. No changes to the machine worth mentioning. Same old model. Same capacity.
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 10:01pm
Ok school us that don't know the significance of this combine. Thanks
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 10:02pm
The L4's that were produced triggered an infringement of product patents .  Parts were being shipped with no knowledge of the development of the L4.  Gleaners were being test run with different engines as there was a movement of the plant going independent of AC ….  The curved front glass was the trigger as the cab came from the Independence plant.  The "Taco L's " had straight glass, square fuel tanks and ALUMINUM RIVETS. Most components came from the Gleaner US plant, the sheet metal and cabs were built at the SA plant. At the end of the plant run a bunch of Taco L 's were rail shipped to the US.  Dealers ordered the hydro units readily only to find standard drive machines  on the rail cars. The units ran fine but when choppers were added the sheet metal fell off due to aluminum rivets. the SA plant did not have power riveters so the steel rivets were too hard to install. The glass in the front was flat with a 30 degree joint  where the curve in the us glass was.  They could not cast a curved glass.   Swenson gambled (he had a history of gambles) that Deutz Allis would mutiny or that the company was so weak and disenfranchised they would not fight his new endeavor.  He was wrong.
The machines built in Mexico were basic wheat machines.  Most had no AC, had ag link non roller chain elevator chains and standard non hd feeder beaters and non header height controls.  They were wheat machines.   The 80's were not stable times....
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 6:31am
CrestonM, it great to see older gleaners still harvesting - thanks for sharing. I’ve never seen an L4.
Tbran, interesting follow-up story. So what exactly was Swenson’s relationship with Duez/Allis - employee, dealership, or farmer? Am I not seeing correctly or does it appear this L4’s windshield has been replaced with a curved style?

The other gleaner in the video looks like a 1978 K2 gas wheat plot combine. It’s vertical weigh bucket is located in front left corner of it’s grain tank & it has a hydraulic cooler behind its fuel tank(hydro-trans/spout auger?). At the beginning of video in the background, I see where the wheat plot strips end.

Edited by AC7060IL - 08 Aug 2020 at 6:38am
gleaner1 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gleaner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 8:25am
All the L4’s had the curved glass, infact the later ones even had the light grey interior like the 90-91 Independence built machines.
The two piece glass units were on L2’s that gleaner had built there when they could not keep up production in Independence, that was the rumour I heard.
Personally seen two L4’s, at the Minot and WCFPS shows back in the day.
ALLIS CHALMERS "The color is orange"
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 8:31am
The reason for the Mexican L's was price. They had to source product locally.  If they shipped all the parts from Independence plant the freight would offset the labor and overhead trying to be saved and the unit would be the same price. Square tanks and flat glass they could do there..  this was a 'plant' that had a lot of dirt floors...

When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 7:53pm
My sales brochure shows curved glass and grey interior. I thought I read they had heavier sheet metal and main shaft and that they were only available as wheat machines. Let me go take a look.....................

The brochure says air conditioning was standard equipment. Also hydrostatic transmission was standard equipment. It lists as improvements over the L3: Cummins 5.9, Heavier finals, heavier and reinforced rear axle and spindles, heavier front axle assembly, heavier gauged steel thresher housing assembly, heavier rear deck and ladder, 100% heavier main threshing clutch shaft, heavier engine drive.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 7:58pm
Now I'd like to see a video of the all green gleaner R50. I sat in one a few years ago. Ugly but rare to see one. I bet there are more L4 gleaners than all green R50 combines.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 7:13am
I have seen the L4 in the video in person about ten years ago when it was for sale by a farmer very close to Shantz Equipment. It originally came from Saskatchewan. The owner is driving. A former A-C dealer now Agco and strong with Gleaner 
I'm about 20 minutes south of the dealership.   

Edited by Calvin Schmidt - 10 Aug 2020 at 7:17am
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 9:00am
I've heard about the Mexican built L2s, but have not seen a photo of one with the straight glass. That's something else I think would be neat to see. 

My custom harvest boss said the N6s they had also had aluminum rivets in them, and they had to replace them with steel rivets when they shook loose. 
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by Calvin Schmidt Calvin Schmidt wrote:

I have seen the L4 in the video in person about ten years ago when it was for sale by a farmer very close to Shantz Equipment. It originally came from Saskatchewan. The owner is driving. A former A-C dealer now Agco and strong with Gleaner 
Thanks for your reply Calvin. Is the reason for the narrow header to make a "baleable" windrow behind the combine ?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

Thanks for your reply Calvin. Is the reason for the narrow header to make a "baleable" windrow behind the combine ?
Narrow head could be for baling straw but 100 bu wheat is also common around here . The dealer also has a combine salvage yard so could have been what was available with a straight cut. 10 years ago it had a pickup for windrows

Edited by Calvin Schmidt - 10 Aug 2020 at 7:41pm
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 7:33pm
I've never had the opportunity to run wheat, does it take a lot of power to run wheat being clipped 4-5 inches down from the heads ? We run a 15' header on an F2 in 60 bushel beans, but perhaps this is not a fair comparison Embarrassed . Thanks again for all of your replies !!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 7:35pm
He are a few pictures from 2010 when the farmer had it for sale only a few miles from the current owner. I assume it is the same combine.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 7:38pm

I've never had the opportunity to run wheat, does it take a lot of power to run wheat being clipped 4-5 inches down from the heads ? We run a 15' header on an F2 in 60 bushel beans, but perhaps this is not a fair comparison Embarrassed . Thanks again for all of your replies !!

Combine capacity in wheat is more about cleaning capacity. Corn it's power 
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 7:59pm
Thanks.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 8:14pm
Calvin, or  others, seems like Gleaner put out a C 62 ?? Was this primarily for wheat growers or did "row croppers" utilize them ?
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 8:30pm
From what I understand the C62 was a shelved design by Gleaner, maybe under Allis Chalmers and then it was revived and produced under AGCO. I'd guess an R62 could do almost anything a C62 could but do it better with proably the exception of Canola........ purely a guess on my part gleaned from lots of reading about each machine. I have no experience with the C62 or canola. Seemed the C62 was mostly sold in wheat country but I'm sure some went into the corn belt. I say that based on seeing them for sale in wheat country and never having seen any for sale in my area of the corn belt.

Edited by Lonn - 10 Aug 2020 at 8:33pm
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
VAfarmboy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VAfarmboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 9:42pm

Years ago I got into some 80-100 bushel wheat with dad's old Deere 4400 with a 13' header once and the biggest problem was elevator capacity.  It was just more wheat than that machine (designed when 40 bushels of wheat was a bumper crop) could handle. 
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 10:18pm

He are a few pictures from 2010 when the farmer had it for sale only a few miles from the current owner. I assume it is the same combine.

I’m not sure it is...it has “Allis-Chalmers” on the cab and the Cummins emblem under the L4 on the bin. The one in the video doesn’t have either of those characteristics.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 7:45am
From what I remember on Gleaner forum,the C62 is a Walker machine with a rubber belt under Walkers instead of shaker pan like M-L. Was not a Gleaner design. Massy?
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 8:18am
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

From what I remember on Gleaner forum,the C62 is a Walker machine with a rubber belt under Walkers instead of shaker pan like M-L. Was not a Gleaner design. Massy?
From what I understand it was a Gleaner design, not a Massey but was sold in red paint too. The design was developed and then shelved until.... 1998? I believe this has been discussed on this forum a while ago.
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 8:25am
Gleaner design that utilized many R-62 parts as well.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 11:07am
If I remember correctly the C62 was basically a M-F and as the Doc said a lot of other Gleaner parts. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic