This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

gleaner E3 headed for alaksa

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjkrostek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 12:35pm
the hight was 13.5ft and the total wt was 26000 lbs including the truck when I wt it at the dump up here on the way home. 13.5 is the hight of the big trucks on the interstates. but when off you have to look out for the low stuff.  I have to wt the trailer, I thought it might be 4500 lbs but it must be much heavier.  The book said the combine and header was less than 10,000 the truck is less than 10000 so the trailer must be over well over 6000 lbs.  Just glad to be home.  Now I wait to see what happens with DOT.  From what I seen in the pictures I've seen how you all haul your stuff.  Be careful of the DOT Cops they will make you life miserable believe me! Total mileage was 4,600. so with the total cost I figure it was less than $2 a mile.  I just hope the machine works for me.
Sponsored Links

Ploughman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ploughman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 1:07pm
I want to know how on earth you fixed your wheel studs.  Did you manage to get a ride or did you drive it on three corners back to town?

And what were the exact violations and fines from the DOT?
wjkrostek View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjkrostek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 2:11pm
I took off the hub and hitch hiked back 60 miles to town.  of course it was Sunday so nothing was opened.  But I lucked out and found a man that knew a man who could help.  It's a long story.  I paid 10 times more than it was at normal price but then I needed a ride back up so I gave a young man 100 dollars for a ride back up to my truck and I but it back together. Good thing to bought some tools before I left or I'd still be there.  no much help out there you really are on your own.  That part of the old west is still in effect. Your on your own except for the goodness of someone that comes along.

To many violations to write it all down but all the fluff stuff.  no doctors card, no log book, no inspection record, no dot numbers, and on and on.  I would recommend you be a farmer and stay in your 150 mile circle so you can be exempt from the dot commercial rules if your in the business of farming when your traveling.  But read the rules in your own state (these where fed regs because I guess people go between states and countries up here all the time they adopt the federal regs) that should wise you up enough to say home or at lease you know what you could face if you don't. What it all boils down to in my mind is what is "in Commerce"? They  make the Regs so they get to decide what they mean.   Depends how you read it, it could mean most anything that you buy or receive with money or trade. then you move it and your in Commerce and driving. Now your a commercial driver. 
Harvey/pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harvey/pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 10:19pm
Have a very good friend that cleared & farmed several hundred acres in Delta Jct. south of Fairbanks in the 70's & 80's. He bought all new equipt, trucks & tractors, farmed a few years & quit due to no market and/or high cost of trucking to market (wheat). He made hay after that to sell & for his own stock. He finally sold everything, low hrs, low miles & lost a lot of money, maybe 10 years ago. He retired to Montana "Where it is warm" ?? I should have stayed with him in 73 when he wanted to get me a job with the pipeline, but I was young & thought I was in love & came back to Penna...Harvey
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 10:21pm
Even when you watch the show iceroad truckers from alaska it seems like the dot keeps a pretty tight rein on the guys up there, not that they are alot less any where else, but you would think up there in the wilderness if you were doing your own thing in a resonable fashion they wouldn't have to throw the book at a guy. I see in your other post you got off with warnings, luck day.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic