This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

gleaner E3 headed for alaksa

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjkrostek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: gleaner E3 headed for alaksa
    Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 10:51pm
I'm looking for a shop to work over my E3 as I drive my way to Alaska from Glasgow Montana on highway 2 then north to the alaskan highway.   If anyone knows of a shop willing to do the work on short notice please let me know.  There are some things wrong with it and I don't beleave it is field ready.  Once I get to alaska I will loose all the expertise  of the old timeers that know how to make these things work. So please ask around and if you know of one give me a call at 907 232 3094 and send me an email too.  thanks. 
Sponsored Links

Rfdeere View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rfdeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 11:01pm
   Your not driving the combine 2500 miles, Your hauling it right ?
Randy Freshour,Member Indiana AC Partners,
http://www.rumelyallis.com
Skyhighballoon(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyhighballoon(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 11:16am
Bill bought his EIII of Ebay a few months back.  He flew down from Alaska to pick it up from around Bowling Green, KY.  I met up with Bill at Northside Salvage in Red Bud, IL this past Saturday and I went over his new Gleaner with him front to back and top to bottom.

Neil helped Bill out with some parts like an extra parts like access door covers, 21 tooth cylinder drive sprocket, separator clutch cover, extra straw walker, rock door tool and an engine oil dipstick. 

Bill has a few more generic sprockets to replace, get the right tension on his elevator and raddle chains and some auger/feeder beater fingers to replace.  He also needs to get the separator clutch adjusted right.  

But Bill's machine had a few more options than mine including the deluxe suspension seat, tilt adjust steering, hydraulic reel height and power steering.

Bill's machine also has the tilt cab optoin but someone appears to have removed the latches in the back of the cab.  Anyone have an early Gleaner with a tilt-forward Stolper cab that has any pics of the inside latches?

Bill will be using this to do 20 acres of oats each year back on Alaska.  Good luck Bill and I'm here to help any way I can!

Here's a couple pics and a link to the rest.  Mike

http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e176/Skyhighballoon/Bill%20Krostek%20Gleaner%20EIII/

1981 Gleaner F2 Corn Plus w 13' flex
1968 Gleaner EIII w 10' & 330
1969 180 gas
1965 D17 S-IV gas
1963 D17 S-III gas
1956 WD45 gas NF PS
1956 All-Crop 66 Big Bin
303 wire baler, 716H, 712H mowers
Jim Lindemood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Lindemood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 11:29am
Wow, that is quite a haul -- KY to Alaska. Sorry I can't be of any help, but am interested
to see how it all works out. Have a safe trip.
Eric[IL] View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric[IL] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 11:49am

Bill,  If you have internet in Alaska, which I imagine you do.  Then, you are not without old timers expertise like the kind you will find on this site.  For the most indepth combine forum, you can visit: http://www.harvesting.com/cgi-local/gleaner_general_board_more.pl  If someone here does not know the answer, then someone over there will.  Both sites are good.

SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 12:24pm
back in the 1980's, when i bought my 7010 new, the owner of king impl in tekamah,ne had a relitive in alaska that also had an AC dealership up there, i don't remember the name of the town it was in, but at that time, he said it was the only farm impl dealer of any brand in the whole state! i remember that mr. king had got some flatbed rail cars put on a UPRR siding in blair,ne. and had them loaded with alot of older AC equipment to be railed up to that dealer in alaska. there were disks and plows and old #60 and #66 combines, and other farm equip. they were really loaded! i remember him telling me that for any piece of new equipment shipped up to alaska from the states, there was an automatic $2000. added to the price just for shipping! since then i think other brands of dealers have been added up there!
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 12:25pm
WJ...good luck on your trip! looks like a nice machine!
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 3:19pm
Just curious, how high is that load? Over 13'6"? How heavy?
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyhighballoon(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 3:31pm
Brian - he's just under 13 feet.  If he figures out how to tilt the cab, he'll drop a foot as the bin will be the highest point. And right around 10K in load.  Mike
1969 180 gas
1965 D17 S-IV gas
1963 D17 S-III gas
1956 WD45 gas NF PS
1956 All-Crop 66 Big Bin
Orange Blood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 3:47pm
WOW, 10K (assuming that is with the trailer) with the 6.5L Turbo Diesel, ouch,  I just went 400 miles at a gcw of 18K, so about the same load, and while it pulled it decent, it wasn't that far, and not over the cont. divide.  WOW
Still in use:
HD7 WC C CA WD 2-WD45 WD45LP WD45D D14 3-D17 D17LP 2-D19D D19LP 190XTD 190XTLP 720 D21 220 7020 7030 7040 7045 3-7060
Projects: 3-U UC 2-G 2-B 2-C CA 7-WC RC WDLP WF D14 D21 210 7045 N7
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyhighballoon(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 8:02pm
Bill's trailer I think was rated for 22k - tandem dually.   That 10K estimate is for the load only:  combine, header, extra reel & cab.  Mike
1969 180 gas
1965 D17 S-IV gas
1963 D17 S-III gas
1956 WD45 gas NF PS
1956 All-Crop 66 Big Bin
Orange Blood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by Skyhighballoon(MO) Skyhighballoon(MO) wrote:

Bill's trailer I think was rated for 22k - tandem dually.   That 10K estimate is for the load only:  combine, header, extra reel & cab.  Mike
It's not the rating I am concerned about, it looks legal, assuming it is plated for the load, it is the engine, the 6.5L TD GM put out was never very strong, and had overheating problems, I run two of them, and know them like the back of my hand, and I was just saying, he is more brave than I.  I have mine mildly modified, and I wouldn't pull that load, cause it would kill that engine.  Just sayin!
Still in use:
HD7 WC C CA WD 2-WD45 WD45LP WD45D D14 3-D17 D17LP 2-D19D D19LP 190XTD 190XTLP 720 D21 220 7020 7030 7040 7045 3-7060
Projects: 3-U UC 2-G 2-B 2-C CA 7-WC RC WDLP WF D14 D21 210 7045 N7
Jeff(WD45-SATX-TN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(WD45-SATX-TN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 9:22pm
A question for my own knowledge, what crops can you grow up in Alaska that make use of a combine? Just curious. What is the growing season like?

Jeff
1954 WD45 NF "Iron Tater"
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2011 at 9:55am
When we were there in '88 we stopped and visited with a guy that was harvesting potatoes in some valley. I think the name started with M.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyhighballoon(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2011 at 10:18am
Dusty, if I remember right what Bill told me, hel rents his 20 acres from a guy that does harvest potatoes on part of his land along with other vegetables.   I believe he told me that the landowner doesn't like to follow his potato crops with anything else the next year and that's how Bill gets the 20 acres for oats.  The specific 20 acres rotates around each year.  Mike
1969 180 gas
1965 D17 S-IV gas
1963 D17 S-III gas
1956 WD45 gas NF PS
1956 All-Crop 66 Big Bin
Loren View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2011 at 10:25am
   You have to remembler that if he worked sunrise to sunset he would not get much sleep.  I was station at Gleely in 65 to 66 short nites
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2011 at 10:31am
I think the valley I was remembering is the Malanuska-Susitna Valley.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
wjkrostek View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjkrostek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 12:12am
just to let you know I made it to Alaska.  The total load was 26000 lbs and I couldn't stop her very well so I had to go down the hills the same gear I went up to keep her from running away. Mostly in second gear.  Had some long 10% grades so it was a little scary on Ice and snow.  The good thing was it was still frozen so I didn't have to deal with mud.  My truck pulled as I expected just had to go slow but not much traffic in April and most of the lodges are closed so fuel was far away.  6.5 L diesel only got at best 7 MPG and at worst 4MPG. Sheared all 8 lugs of the rear of the dully and thats when you know your on your own.  Not much help no one wanted to stop, had to go back 60 miles to FT Nelson from the top of the mountain to pound new lugs into the hub that took a day and half but I got her done.  Very costly trip, over 7 thousand on my credit card and I only stayed maybe 3 days in a hotel. most was repairs and diesel fuel.  The only hassles I got where when I got to Alaska the US customs gave me a hard time.  Nothing to fix there just an ass bureaucrat.  We are out of control with Bureaucrats and regulations.   Then 300 miles from my place the DOT truck police stopped me and took me for inspection.  They determined I was a commercial driver.  got over a thousand dollars worth of violations but no safety problems.  Had to stop driving for 10 hours becasue I had no record of my  breaks and down time, then I had to go to town and get a drivers log to continue.  I'll try fighting it but again the regulations are out of control and there is no way to fight it because they get to make all the rules and determinations of what they mean.  You can't even go to court and see a judge.  It's all done administratively and there is nothing you can do about it.  Never except more regulations if you are given a choice.  You all remember when your out there moving your junk to lie when you get stopped don't tell them you a farmer unless your within your 100 mile circle of your farm. (DOT reg) Your getting this equipment to restore it and will never sell it.  It's your hobby. No money made ever.  I'm home now and I will not do it again.

jhid View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 12:34am
sounds like you had a fun trip!
red and green are nice for christmas, but orange is all year round
http://www.canadianantiquetractor.com/tractorforum/
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 8:48am
I think that valley outside of Anchorage and towards Palmer is the Matanuska valley.  Locals call it the Matt valley?
Local legend had it that it grows great weed also.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 11:38pm
When I was in Jr. High I got the wild idea to move up there and homestead some land and raise Musk Ox.   Did a lot of research, used some for a report for school.  That was nearly 50 years ago.  Never made it up there, finally realized I didn't like the short winter days here in Colorado, would go crazy with 3 hr of daylight in Alaska.
I believe I read there was some barley, along with oats grown near Fairbanks.  The growing season isn't all that long but with 20+ hours of daylight, things grow fast.  A lot of hay is made there and some is chopped for silage. 
Thanks for telling us about your adventure, doesn't sound like the last frontier is quite as wild and free as it used to be.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
wjkrostek View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjkrostek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 12:53am
Well your right I've been here over 30 years and it has changed a lot.  To Many city people moving up and no one has common sense anymore.  Some barley and oats grown but not enough to even supply Alaska's needs.  It's not the short season it's the weather that get you. dry most of the spring then rains all fall until snow fall in sept or oct.  Most of the farms near Fairbanks are farming the government.  When the free money dries up so will they.  I do 50 acres of hay but most years can only get one cutting and it's hard to get it to 20 % to bale.  Most of all the dairy's have failed.  much of the farmland that the government cleared is back to trees where it belongs. But you got to do what you got to do.  If I had any brains I'd quit farming but I love the challenge.
Jim Lindemood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Lindemood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 4:31pm
Wow - that was some trip. What an adventure -- that's why you folks live up there, right? Beautiful country - to visit. Best of luck with your farming.
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 9:06pm

If you flew down, did you also buy the truck and trailer down here to drive back?

wjkrostek View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjkrostek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 10:04pm
yes I did have to buy everything including tools and chains.  This is one expensive combine.  But no matter how I did it, it wasn't going to be worth it.  Smart thing to do was to quit the oats but I like doing the farming thing.  I could of bought a big boat and that wouldn't pay either would it?  I just hope I can get it to work for me.  It's still on the trailer because I can't pull into my yard because of the break up. I have to wait for the frost to go out of the ground so it can dry up.  
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 10:26pm
whew! glad you made it home safe! that combine is going to a good home!!
Byron WC in SW Wi View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Byron WC in SW Wi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 7:12am
Do you do baleage?
John (C-IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John (C-IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 9:14am
What an adventure. With the views that you had going at slower speeds shouldn't have been too bad. Good luck with the new combine.
wjkrostek View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjkrostek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 9:47am
no baleage.  There are a few that do but that my market and I don't have my own animals. 
NEJim View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEJim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 11:41am
I really like it up there, was up there in the mid 60's for 3 summers and again 2 years ago.  You have the best country ever.  If I was younger I'd move up there.  Have a friend in Palmer and talk to him often.  He moved there in the late 60's from Nebraska and never looked back.  Just loves it.  Thanks for the pictures, makes me want to come back up there.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic