This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gleaner E 226 into a One Seventy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlenB(IA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gleaner E 226 into a One Seventy
    Posted: 06 Feb 2024 at 10:08am
My One Seventy engine is burning oil and has a cracked head.  I am considering swapping a Gleaner E 226 engine into it.  Are there any major complications or modifications that need to be made?  Thank you for your any advice!

Sponsored Links

Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2024 at 11:37am
What would the cost of overhaul for the 170?
Who much cost to swap/retrofit the 226?
How many hours on the 226?
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2024 at 12:25pm
The 226 will bolt in/onto the adaptor. Front crank may need to be cut off - fuel pump blocked off and 170 governor system put in or swapped from tractor to combine.  Carb throttle shaft swapped or use 170 carb. IF the engine is in good shape, that is what I would do. 
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2024 at 7:34am
I know it's expensive to rebuild an engine, but when you are done, you know what you have. You are pretty much depending on what someone is telling you, when you put in a used engine.

You say the head is cracked. Was this verified by inspection or are you getting coolant in the oil? I've heard many people say they have a bad head gasket or cracked head, only to find the problem is with wet sleeves (O rings or holes in a sleeve).
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2024 at 7:43am
A cracked head on a 170??   Kind of like finding a unicorn. Don't know how you'd know there was a crack unless the head was removed from the engine and a spark plug hole crack hurts nothing unless there is a coolant leak issue.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic