This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gleaner 226 Not A Replacement Engine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TennMatt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gleaner 226 Not A Replacement Engine
    Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 3:56am
Been having a discussion with some friends about rules that have been bent over the years and this is one. I ran across a thread in another forum last year and a fellow had brought up this topic. Truthfully I agree and don't understand when it come to the rules in most pulling circuits when it says must retain stock engine or "factory replacement" that the Gleaner 226 is far from either of these. I do however understand the want for more power but per the term replacement parts for the tractor must duplicate original then how is this allowed?? All the ones I've seen the frames have to be notched amonst other parts having to be modified. One guy says that Allis sold these engines because they quit making the originals but everything Ive ever read and researched says otherwise. Replacement blocks had no stamp code at all on them is what a old timer from the dealer told me. Keeping to the rules what is yall's thoughts on this...Not looking for a argument just input from whats been discussed throughout your years of pulling.
1954 WD45
Sponsored Links

Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 5:37am
I see no issue with it. I have no idea what you would get if in 1975 you went to the dealer and wanted a engine replacement. I doubt the W226 was still available, but probably a G226 was. 

How do you enforce it? W201 block might have W226 internals

A JD A, do you go by serial number as that model about doubled in HP over the years.

Or a IH A/B with a 153 ci motor in it vs the 115 ci (iirc) 
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 6:40am
Our local rules allow any engine, of the same number of cylinders,  of the same manufacturer that bolts in with out any modifications to the tractor.  If you run into a problem take all the inside parts out of the G226 and put them into the W226 block as the others do. Sadly most restrictive rules have been made by owners of green or red tractors that are poor loosers.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 8:00am
the replacement block at one time was the same block as the D17 and Gleaner engines. You know all Farmall M's had 3-7/8" diameter pistons at a fairly low compression. IH change the replacement parts to 4-1/8" in about 1960 with "Fire Crater" high compression design. They went from a barely 36 hp tractor to about a 55 hp tractor. John Deere changed the A at least three times and then you have the after market "Power Block" that a whole lot of A's have in them and every club I've pulled at allowed them. The is a whole after market block. No sleeves in an A either and only up to a certain size bore was allowed per Deere parts book on the A but most are bored way beyond that spec and have a shaved block with high compression pistons. None of which were factory replacement parts. The block and by extension the crank used in the Gleaner 226 is the same as the factory "replacement block" to replace the original W or G series blocks when those original blocks were discontinued.

Edited by Lonn - 24 Feb 2016 at 8:07am
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
TennMatt1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TennMatt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 10:12pm
Well I have a Super C farmall and was told that if I put a 153 engine out of a combine I would be cheating. ...I know this is something that has been happening for a long time but as appearance goes your right you can swap out internals but you can't change the block code or the castings so how is this legal for one and not any of the rest. I actually have a sheet on a replacement block for these tractors and it says the casting will be the same without the tractor code stamp,wc,wd,45 and then the propane. I'm just curious as to what the real advantage to the Z code block.
1954 WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 5:59am
I see 153's in A/B/C's around here, people don't say much about it. I know they are hard to beat with a 125 ci A-C B/C, a CA has a better chance but still has tire disadvantage. 

"Z" code as a replacement motor has better oiling and higher compression. Plus they are built stronger.
A stock W engine can be built to the same specs so there is no real advantage there, but it may cost you more to attain the parts to do it rather than a drop in engine.

If you are going big stroke/High HP I would use a later style motor, but that is my opinion. The guys that have been doing this for years can tell you of the trial and error they have had.
Charlie

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 6:02am
Matt, you should look up Cliff Stughart and his Farmall C he pulls. He goes from 2700 up to 4000 lb class with it and does very well. I have no idea what is in it, but it is very healthy.
Around here a WC/WD can only pull 3500 and above typically.
Charlie

TennMatt1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TennMatt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 1:27pm
Yeah I've seen that one I believe...If it's same one it has the 153ci. I just last year bought my first wd 45 to pul but I've been around pulling most of my life. I know a stock Z code puts out some good power if tuned correctly. My tractor he till has factory block in it and it's pretty strong. I pulled 4500 super farm the other day and it didn't open the governor. Problem is in those weight classes you get into bigger the bigger tractors like 460s.
1954 WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 2:55pm
A 460 in 4500? About 5500lb class.is where they fit in here
Charlie

mf440 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mf440 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 8:15pm
cliff's C is over 200 cubes
TennMatt1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TennMatt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 8:39pm
@Charlie175 they pull 460's down in 3500 around here. It's all in how much you wanna spend. Put a 150hp 301 in it and let'r eat.We personaly don't have one that pulls in 3500 but we do 4000 cut tire classes. He's probably 200 hp and is pretty much unstoppable. Our rules are very vague when you get past super farm it's pretty much run what ya brung.LOL
My 45 right now weighs 3540 with me on it and I'm 250. I would like to pull 3500 but my tires don't hook until I can get at least 500 lb on the back of it. I have 14.9x34 michelin radials on a 16" rim. It sucks but they're all I can do right now. I've got a nice set of 16.9x30s but I can't find any rims. Those radials are very heavy with a radial tube in them. I could probably lose 200 lb or close to it getting the 30's on it and then Im hoping to pull second gear.

Edited by TennMatt1 - 25 Feb 2016 at 8:42pm
1954 WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 7:21am
Wow, they must gut the thing to lose that much weight.

Charlie

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic