This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gleaner 2/3 series ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gleaner 2/3 series ??
    Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 5:36pm
Other than the new number, were there any "capacity" advantages to a "3" series over the latest "2" series??  I'm asking about the F/M/L series because I've not heard of a K3. Thanks
Sponsored Links

Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 6:48pm
Not much if any capacity difference.... wide spaced cylinder bars may have been offered first in the 3 series but that is about it that could possible increase capacity in certain crops I think.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 7:28pm
No such thing as a K3.  Farmers did not want small combines at that time - they were going bigger.  Price would have been a factor too.  A brand new F3 cost $50,000 back in the day.  Even K2s are not very common around here.  Tons of F2s, but no K2s.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
Adam Stratton View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Stratton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 8:26pm
At least on the Ls and I think Ms also, there were lots of differences that made quite a change between early and late 2 series even, let alone by the time you got to a late series 3. Some affected capacity more than others, like long vs short shoe, but made things nicer in my opinion.
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 1:05am
Like other said already, Gleaner added more comfort features in the later version series 2(1982 Golden Harvest Edition) which continued into the series 3(1983). So it was more of a transitional period than a specific series, per say?? The L & M combines usually lead with the most updated features. The F & K combines seemed to be secondary for feature updates, so they may or may not have been offered the L/M features?

Gleaners received a saddle tan cab interior instead of the older black color. They also added electric over hydraulics which meant that the operator could flip an electric console switch to move unloading auger out/in. If a late F2/F3 hydro trans was ordered, they conveniently added an electric thumb switch on the hydro lever for raising/lowering the header. For the F2/F3, gleaner also moved it's hydro trans reservoir from under the lefthand side of grain tank by unloading auger swivel, to back behind the hydraulic valve stack.
Gleaner also added electric cab switches for magnetic separator clutch assemblies in place of the older manual cab levers. The K2 only received a header electric switch clutch(optional). It's separator clutch was always a manual cab lever.  
Gleaner upgraded it's tattletale monitoring systems too.
Digital tach, digital clock, & power fold ladder were options too.
The 1982 F2 & F3's were offered with the standard 433I 200cu in AC diesel engine. It's previous standard GM292 gas engine was discontinued. Gleaner K2 was discontinued after 1981, so there were never any K2 Golden Harvest Editions. :(   But, from 1978-1981, a K2 was offered with either the optional 433T 200cu in diesel or standard GM250 gasoline engines & optional hydraulic swing out unloading auger & grain tank extensions. 
The 1983 M3 offered either 130hp 649T 301 or 145hp 649I 301 diesel engines. The 1982 M2 only offered the 130hp 649T 301 diesel engine. 
And,...Maybe a few other items I may have omitted??  
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 6:53am
My 1981 L2 is not a Golden Harvest edition and it has the saddle tan interior. I've never seen a black interior in any 1981 Gleaner.

Also my reference to no real capacity advantage refers to the question ""were there any "capacity" advantages to a "3" series over the latest "2" series??"".

Going from the latest 2 series to the 3 series, as far as I know, gave no capacity increase except for the possibility of wide spaced cylinder bars of which I am not sure what year Gleaner introduced.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 7:19am
Originally posted by Lonn Lonn wrote:

My 1981 L2 is not a Golden Harvest edition and it has the saddle tan interior. I've never seen a black interior in any 1981 Gleaner.

Well as I said the L2/M2 combines Usually lead the way in updated features. So obviously I’m wrong about the timing of the saddle tan cabs? But I dont think the whole L2/M2 series 1977-1982 came with saddle tan cabs.

Edited by AC7060IL - 25 Feb 2020 at 7:27am
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 7:20am
1980 and newer L-2/M2's got the 9 inch longer cleaning shoe !!!
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 7:39am
Originally posted by AC7060IL AC7060IL wrote:

Originally posted by Lonn Lonn wrote:

Well as I said the L2/M2 combines Usually lead the way in updated features. So obviously I’m wrong about the timing of the saddle tan cabs? But I dont think the whole L2/M2 series 1977-1982 came with saddle tan cabs.
I think the saddle tan came in 1980 at the same time as the longer shoe as DrAllis mentioned. I briefly had a 1979 M2 which had just about every feature my L2 had except the saddle tan and probably had the short shoe. It did have the larger grain tank vs the earlier M2 combines. I never used the M2 because that same year I bought the L2 and sold the M2 to the neighbor. That M2 was a very good machine but it was not hydro.
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 7:40am
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

1980 and newer L-2/M2's got the 9 inch longer cleaning shoe !!!
What year was the M2 out of production? I thought it was 1980 or 1981.
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 8:03am
1980.  brought back in 81.
Daehler View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daehler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 8:14am
1981 is when the saddle tan interior hit the market. A lot of research in brochures and literature has made this conclusion. I always thought 1982 for it since the 8000s debut with it but certain 1981 brochures show combines a few combines with tan.
8070FWA,7080 BlackBelly, 7045,2 200s,D19,D17,G, WD,45,UC,7 AC mowers and lots more!
"IT TAKES 3 JD's TO OUT DO AN ALLIS, 2 TO MATCH IT IN THE FIELD AND 1 FOR PARTS!"
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 9:35am

Lonn & Daehler, Thanks for your 1981 tan cab input info. I learned something new today. I had been going off Norm's 1914-1985 farm equipment book, which states 1982. Anyway here's a photo taken from page 12 of a January 1982 L2 M2 F2 Gleaner sales brochure. The black cab didn't offer much operator eye glare in day or night. Come to think of it, in my 15 years operating the F3, It's saddle tan cab didn't glare either. Their curved windshields helped reduce/eliminate most night lighting glare. Sometimes the flat side glass could reflect outside lights and/or console lights though.  I always thought gleaner did a great job of choosing a flat painted surface for the inside cab consoles & inner cab frames. The flat paint helped cut the glare. The saddle tan cab color was a nice improvement. 
The F3's floor carpet was great too. Most days, I'd take off my boots and be stocked footed in the cab. It had a hydro, so didn't need to foot a clutch peddle & I rarely used the brakes. 

Edited by AC7060IL - 25 Feb 2020 at 9:45am
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 10:25am
technically the 8000 started in December of 1981
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 4:44pm
As Lonn eluded to, my question was more toward the "capacity" aspect of the machines, NOT the color of the cab interior ?? Does/did a brown/tan colored cab liner improve the through-put of the machine :-) ?
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

As Lonn eluded to, my question was more toward the "capacity" aspect of the machines, NOT the color of the cab interior ?? Does/did a brown/tan colored cab liner improve the through-put of the machine :-) ?
When I first read your reply, I thought, well - he's poking fun at the cab conversations. Ok - Thats cool. But then you ended it with a more detailed question. So I'm curious. Please - share your answer to your own question. "Does/did a brown/tan colored cab liner improve the through-put of these machines?"
wekracer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wekracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 9:40pm
My understanding is that on the tan cab machines the clean grain was sped up to help in high bpa corn.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 7:26am
Well now, I guess being the tan interior is supposed to make you more comfortable due to less radiated heat I guess you could say the tan interior alone increases efficiency and by that then capacity due to less operator fatigue........ I think we can move on from here. Wink
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 6:15pm
As per AC 7060's comment did the L and M not start with the electric over hydraulic? Also what was the first year of the L and M?

The oldest Gleaner I operated was a 75 MH. I realize the sidehills where all somewhat of a deluxe machine in that hydro-traction drive was standard.  The only control that was not electric over hydraulic was unloading auger drive. The belt tightener was a lever,by 78 changed to a over center lever. But I believe a small hydraulic cylinder with electric control was a option from the beginning.

Been to many years, but remember servicing in the morning you could tell the different years by the changes in the different ways of driving the major parts. Worked for 2 different owners of Gleaner MH combines that at times put there machines in the same field.  I had a picture pre computer of a 78,  79 , 80 and 82 MH2 all in my safflower field in the fall of 82 I think.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by Ray54 Ray54 wrote:

As per AC 7060's comment did the L and M not start with the electric over hydraulic? Also what was the first year of the L and M?

The oldest Gleaner I operated was a 75 MH. I realize the sidehills where all somewhat of a deluxe machine in that hydro-traction drive was standard.  The only control that was not electric over hydraulic was unloading auger drive. The belt tightener was a lever,by 78 changed to a over center lever. But I believe a small hydraulic cylinder with electric control was a option from the beginning.

Been to many years, but remember servicing in the morning you could tell the different years by the changes in the different ways of driving the major parts. Worked for 2 different owners of Gleaner MH combines that at times put there machines in the same field.  I had a picture pre computer of a 78,  79 , 80 and 82 MH2 all in my safflower field in the fall of 82 I think.

Funny you should mention the "changes", I will never forget the statement that my dad made years ago when he retired an A(straight) for an early F(straight). His comment was "I can't believe how much the machines have in common other than size after all of these years" LOL!!!
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by Ray54 Ray54 wrote:

You are correct. And thanks for sharing your great Gleaner memories. If you would like your safflower field with gleaners photo loaded here on the forum, l’d love to see it. If you do & need help, pm me for my email & I’ll load it to forum for you. Per your Gleaner question, I will try my best to explain.

The Gleaner L(48” cylinder)debuted in 1972 along with it’s new electric-over-hydraulic controls. The gleaner M(40”) debuted in 1973, replacing the G, and had mostly same features as L, except it got a smaller cylinder & cleaning etc.

The Gleaner EIII(27”) F(37”), & G(44”) models debuted in 1968. During 1969, their hydrostatic transmission debuted for Gleaner as the F-Hy & G-Hy models. Also in 1971, the new header hooks feature enabled the operator to mount/unmount platform or cornhead from the cab seat by levering the hydraulics to lift the combine’s thresher throat up & under the headers top hooks, and then down on the ground on foot, the operator could engage lower spring loaded wedge pins & connect drives. So for the hydro”, & perhaps the header-attaching feature, they were initiated in the F & G, then later offered on the L & M. Keep in mind, the L&M had more of a “notched frame” instead of pair of hooks on headers.

But for the electric-over-hydraulics, traverse flow fan, & most newer cab features(tattletale monitors, rocker switches, curved windshield cab) they mostly initiated on the L & M and later were then added to the 1977 F2. 1977 K2 only received traverse flow fan, newer tattletail monitors, cab lights’ rocker switches, & curved windshield cab.

Edited by AC7060IL - 27 Feb 2020 at 12:04am
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 11:29am
Wink That 75 MH I ran in summer of 79 was real luxury after running totaly wore out Massy Harris 92 to cut about 150 acres in 78.

It has been some time since I have seen the picture,but will do some looking.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic