This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Glass packs,,,,,??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Glass packs,,,,,??
    Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 5:42am

Don't know if ya'll remember some time back I posted bout a nice 1982 Silverado I had bought from a dude on the Marketplace. Now,,this is one of the nicest 82 Silverado's I've seen in a long time and if you like black trks,,,this one's for you,,chit,,even the dash is black,,,,,!!!
  I bought it ,,,"economical",,,(ole Shameless will like thet word),,,,,,LOL and it was well priced as somebody had taken a hammer to the steering column when tryin to steal it. It has a 305 with 4 barrel quadrajet and dual exhaust all the way back and I want to install some glass packs to get thet smooth deep sound them glass packs of old used to sound like,,,,Clap I remember some people used to call em Smittys also. Loved the deep throaty sound they used to sound like,,,,,,
 Anyway,,,the only'ist ones that look like them, that  I can find are "no Names" painted red and shaped like the old timers but the dude at O'reillys could not tell me if they were the real thing or not and at $36 each I wasn't ready to experiment,,just yet,,,
 Anybody bought any of these lately,,???

OH and before I forget,,does anybody know what the casting numbers are at the back of the chevy blocks are for the 305's,? I remember the last three numbers on the 327's were 870. The dude told me it was a 305 but it having a 4 barrel quadrajet don't make sense on a 305,,,???
Sponsored Links

truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 7:17am
Are you possibly thinking of Cherry Bomb glass packs? I prefer the sound of 'turbo' mufflers or if you can afford then Flowmaster mufflers sound awesome in my opinion. Glass packs have more is a tinny crackle.
Isn't that 870 number a heads casting. Seams to me that 870 is a medium chamber head.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 7:25am
Go ahead and experiment, it's only money! Check with a good muffler and exhaust shop and see what they have. At $36 I wouldn't think they are the real thing. They were also called Cherry Bombs.  That reminds me, I need to take my '99 F150 to the exhaust shop and get new pipes installed from the catalytic converter back, no mufflers on it though and it has a pretty decent sound.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 7:29am
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 1:48pm
Back in the day,you could be Corvair turbo mufflers from Walker. They would talk at full throttle but were deep and throaty just cruising around. Then one day...NLA. Much better than a blatty old glass pack.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 3:30pm
Google Glass packs. Speedway sells real smithy’s
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 5:58pm
I went to the muffler shop they put magna flow glass packs and full header back 3.5" duals on my 88 suburban. The magna flows are stainless and sound great. The red cherry bombs you had to put gas in them and burn the glass out before installing to get a good sound out of them.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 7:32pm
My first AC, my D14, had a cherry bomb on it when I bought it.  Didn't sound too bad, but I eventually changed it to a Stanley.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 8:02pm
LOL! Haven’t seen a cherry bomb in years, still think part of my hearing loss is from my high school Jeep with fender dump headers and cherry bombs!, man that sucker was LOUD. I like the deep sound you get with “Hush Thrush’s”
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 8:03pm
Had Thursh header mufflers on my SS Chevelle . Got a ticket for excessive noise from SC State Patrol . Put apair of covair turbos on after that . Many years ago
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 9:02pm

Well,,I do agree that when them glass packs cherry bombs of old did burn out they developed a very agravating tinny sound and you knew it was time to get new ones,,,I always loved thet deep mellow sound the new ones put out,,,wasn't agaravatin,,just so smooth,,ClapClap
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 7:54am
The hay monster I've mentioned in other threads is powered by a 318 Chrysler engine.....duel exhaust with glass packs. Not much different that straight pipes. I added some turnouts to keep the exhaust from the ends from hitting the rear axle dead on.

What I notice is at idle, how much variation there is in the sound.....it rumbles, pops and cracks down there. Don't know if that is normal, but if it is, why that would be. Most other gas engines, like the D15, have a more even sound.......they purr vs. growl and rumble.
jorstad brothers View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jorstad brothers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 10:34am
It’s hard to to beat the sound of a flowmaster, I have several sets on bb mopars
remember plunder than burn
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 5:05pm
Myself I find it hard to beat the sound of 36” glass packs.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 5:15pm
well, in the day, I put cherry bombs on my ride because they were cheap. sounded pretty good, new, but it didn't take long at all to burn out the glass, and then they were just cop bait.

but you guys sure are bringing back memories!

Edited by LouSWPA - 04 Aug 2019 at 5:16pm
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 5:19pm
[QUOTE=modirt]
The hay monster I've mentioned in other threads is powered by a 318 Chrysler engine.....duel exhaust with glass packs. Not much different that straight pipes. I added some turnouts to keep the exhaust from the ends from hitting the rear axle dead on.

What I notice is at idle, how much variation there is in the sound.....it rumbles, pops and cracks down there. Don't know if that is normal, but if it is, why that would be. Most other gas engines, like the D15, have a more even sound.......they purr vs. growl and rumble.
[/QUOTE

lot of variables, cam, cam timing, ignition timing, carb set up, even the overall 'tuning' of the exhaust system
Wait for the Lord;
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2019 at 11:34am
I have a cherry bomb muffler on my D-17.  A bit loud but I wear hearing protection.
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2019 at 12:37pm
Brings back memories of installing the Cherry Bombs, get some miles on em' and while hot, shovin a garden hose in em' to "make em' sound cool" as we would blow out some of the guts to change the tone and make em' louder.
Yeah, I know but when your 17 or 18 you wanted em' louder to pi$$ the cops off.
Then we found the "throaty" oval turbo mufflers and they became the rage.

Anyone remember the days when your goal was saving up enough money for Cherry Bombs, chrome reverse wheels, or air shocks?
weiner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2019 at 12:53pm
I just bought a cheap glass pack from O-Reilly on line free S&H for $15.00.  It is for my Ford Ranger and it`s been in the back of the truck for 6 months waiting for me to put it on.  It will probably be worth just that too.   I always loved the sound of a nice dual exhaust.
Real heros wear dogtags, not capes.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2019 at 1:58pm
Tim, yep on a 70 Pontiac Formula 400. Loved that car. Evidently so did my ex as she bought one a couple years after our divorce. She crashed it of course.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2019 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by TimNearFortWorth TimNearFortWorth wrote:

Brings back memories of installing the Cherry Bombs, get some miles on em' and while hot, shovin a garden hose in em' to "make em' sound cool" as we would blow out some of the guts to change the tone and make em' louder.

Anyone remember the days when your goal was saving up enough money for Cherry Bombs, chrome reverse wheels, or air shocks?

I remember all those things. And I remember going down planer hill (main st) hold it to the floor til ya reach the bottom let off and get a POW pa pow pow pow pa pow pow pa pow pow pow. I still do it on my motorcycle with long straights.👍
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2019 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

Originally posted by TimNearFortWorth TimNearFortWorth wrote:

I remember all those things. And I remember going down planer hill (main st) hold it to the floor til ya reach the bottom let off and get a POW pa pow pow pow pa pow pow pa pow pow pow. I still do it on my motorcycle with long straights.👍

Yep Thad, and that right there is where all the 'glass' went! LOL
Wait for the Lord;
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2019 at 8:08pm

Well,,I'm gonna share one with ya'll that cost me an honest to goodnes a$$ whuppin when I was just a learner ,,don't think I even had a drivers license,,,but back then,,,who did??LOL
  My dda had just bought a 1946 plymouth humpback,,looked like one of them chit rollers goin down the street,,,,,Wink
 Anyways it had the gol-darned awfull'ist soundin mufflers,,thet thing sounded like an older person "wheezing" when you got on thet little ole 6 cylinder and a one barrel carb,,,Oh my,,,LOL anyway on Fridays most of the parents would let their kids drive the family car to school but we had to park em 3-4 blocks from school so the principle would not see us. Well,thet Friday mornin,I convinced my Mom that I had to work on Dad's car as it was just not runnin right. I go and borrow the neighbor's drill and some bits and I drilled a few ( maybe 20-30) holes in the muffler and I go and start it up and GOSH Dang was it puttin out the horsepower,,,!!!!Clap Chit,,it sounded like them big V8's it did,,,,,Chit,,I was the talk of the school when I flash by the front of the school and let her rapp when I let off the gas,,,chit I think we even broke a few windows too,,,,, I was in 7th heaven as even the girls like'ed it!!!
 When I finally make it home,,,,my Dad and Mon was waitin to go to town so I cruised it in ,,,in neutral with engine shut off,,,,,My Dad helped Mom in the car as he was always a gentleman,,,,while I haul azz into the back room,,,I hear that BEAST start up and within a pair of minutes,,,here comes Dad,,and he is PISSED beyond words,,, After the a$$ whippin,,,in so many words he tells me,,,"You cannot take the car to school for 3 months.  The end of school was comin up and was the biggest day of the year,,,,,I still had to bum a ride for 3 months,,,Thas the reason I still hate them dang PlymouthsWinkWink
and I ain't ever forgot that lesson,,,,LOL
TMiller/NC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMiller/NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2019 at 8:52pm
Had a 60 Chevy with gutted mufflers (inside cut loose both ends) my wife (then girl friend) had gone with her mother in the family Ford to get her drivers license, she was asked to sound horn, didn't work, wouldn't give license.  So I volunteered to go with her in my Chevy, get there I tell her don't rev the engine, as I was waiting inside the office I hear the roar of a gutted muffler Chevy, almost immediately girlfriend appears ready to go, she said the inspector said when you get a legal car come back.  This happened sometime in first part of '66, guess she wasn't to mad, coming up on 52 year anniversary in Dec.
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2019 at 9:19pm
Had a '55 Merc with standard trans and floor shift.  Had duals with gutted glass packs but also had chrome "lakes pipes" along each rocker panel and mine were hooked up.  Drag raced this car several times as it was fast!! Girlfriend at the time used to love to open up those lakers and run through the local road tunnel under the rail yard as fast as she'd go. Man, that thing would rap!!

Anybody remember those lakes pipes from back then?

Edited by Alberta Phil - 07 Aug 2019 at 9:19pm
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 2:03pm
My 94 Chevy's stock muffler lasted 10 years so I installed a Gibson cat back system. Little higher flow and a little higher sound but not too much to drive you nuts on a long road trip. That one lasted 10 years so the last one is also a Gibson but this time it is a stainless steel system.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by Alberta Phil Alberta Phil wrote:

Had a '55 Merc with standard trans and floor shift.  Had duals with gutted glass packs but also had chrome "lakes pipes" along each rocker panel and mine were hooked up.  Drag raced this car several times as it was fast!! Girlfriend at the time used to love to open up those lakers and run through the local road tunnel under the rail yard as fast as she'd go. Man, that thing would rap!!

Anybody remember those lakes pipes from back then?

almost every old 60's Vette around here has them, My first dually was a Chevy
with a 454 and a granny low 4 speed, (ex DOT truck) I put headers on it and those cast iron cable operated bypasses that J.C. Whitney's used to sell on it, it was a blast in the mountain tunnels and underpasses, man those were the redneck days!!!
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic