This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Turbos, A What If Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turbos, A What If Question
    Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 10:03pm
I know that a turbo has to spool up and build boost pressure and that is done with exhaust gas pressure. So to help out, WHAT IF, there was a tank of compressed air on the tractor that could be released into the turbo on the exhaust side to get it to spin faster, quicker. Would this, could this work to build boost pressure?
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
Sponsored Links

Zaddison View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zaddison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 11:10pm
On are trucks We just run nitrous if we have one that's slow to light. Hit the switch and instant boost.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 9:07am
First of all, I am by far no expert on turbos (or anything else for that matter!), but think of your engine as an air compressor (which it is). How much air does it produce to run through the turbo. Think of how much exhaust comes from the pipe. I doubt you could ever supply enough air to run the turbo from a tank. You would need a huge tank and huge supply lines.

The other problem I see is that you would be injecting air into the exhaust, which would increase back pressure in the cylinders considerably. I don't know of any way you could inject a lot of air into the turbo, without increasing exhaust pressure.
bobkyllo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobkyllo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2014 at 8:30pm
how about two small turbos. they call it a compound turbo set up. they spool up faster and having the two you will still put out the same amount.

the other thing you could think about is a variable geometry turbo (v.g.t) ford i believe is using them on thier pickups.
dashingrampallian View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dashingrampallian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2015 at 8:11am
Clap Censored
bsallis180 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsallis180 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2015 at 11:21pm
vGT turbos are not practical on a tractor less the electronics are there as in the newer tractors with emission controls. Ford used them in 03+ along with dosge and there cummins power plant, Chevy in 04.5. Uses electroics to control vains in turbo to make the exhaust housing area bigger or smaller for quicker response and over all performance. But with tractors the manufacture already did the work for you by calling your nearest dealer. Pulling tractors With the right set up as in changing housings and wheel diameters for your needs.
MATPA47 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MATPA47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 6:50pm
Heat drives a turbo not air pressure. If you need more air and can't get more heat, put a bigger turbo under the small one.. Aka compound turbos.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by MATPA47 MATPA47 wrote:

Heat drives a turbo not air pressure. If you need more air and can't get more heat, put a bigger turbo under the small one.. Aka compound turbos.

I respectfully disagree.

A turbo is driven by the pressure of the exhaust turning a turbine in the turbo, which is connected to another turbine on the intake side. The turbine on the inside blows air into the intake, which results in boost (pressurized intake air) verses the engine needing to suck the air in on a naturally aspirated engine.

Heat has nothing to do with how a turbo makes boost, except the turbo gets hot (because it is driven by hot exhaust) The exhaust heat tends to heat the intake air, which makes it less dense. Some engines push the "boost" through an innercooler, which lowers the density and makes it burn better.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 7:12pm
MATPA47 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MATPA47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 8:37pm
Ok if air pressure drives a turbo, then explain this. I'm driving up a hill with my trailer on my semi, I mat it and it's smoking like crazy, it's makimg 50psi of boost, then I get to the top of the hill and don't let off the throttle, I start going down the hill with my foot to the floor, boost falls to 5 psi, it's not making boost because there is no heat coming out of the engine! if air drives turbos then you would make the same amount of boost by revving your engine in neutral as you would fully loaded. Air pressure does not drive a turbo, heat does.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 9:03pm
You forgot one thing. You are not injecting as much fuel. There are variables like the governor in a mechanical fuel injection pump and fuel metering in an electronic injection engine.

The reason the engine smokes like crazy is because you do not have enough air in your air/fuel mixture your engine is burning. You are injecting the maximum amount of fuel at wide open throttle, but the engine load is too high for it to maintain full rpm, even with the boost from the turbo. You are injecting too much fuel and exhaust gas temperature skyrockets, but boost actually drops as rpm's drop.

There are other variables like waste gates that affect turbo boost (actually prevent it from "over boosting").

This is my last post on this issue. Hopefully, someone will chime in that can explain it a lot better than I can. I have explained how a turbocharger works. HEAT IS A BYPRODUCT OF THE ENGINE MAKING POWER AND DOES NOT DRIVE A TURBOCHARGER!!!

Please tell me your theory of how heat mechanically drives a turbocharger. I am dying to hear!

By the way, I see you are new to the forum. Welcome to a great forum. One bit of advice; A lot of people are here to seek advice and help others. If you aren't sure of something, ask someone for an explanation!

Edited by WF owner - 26 Feb 2015 at 9:28pm
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 9:45pm
It's a combination of air volume thru the engine AND very hot expanding exhaust gases escaping the engine. Connect an A-C 185 non-turbo tractor to a PTO dyno and run the engine at full throttle, no load. Get yourself up on a step ladder and hold your bare hand directly above the muffler outlet and into the exhaust gas stream. I don't know how close you'll be, but probably 2 or 3 feet above the exhaust pipe I'd guess. Now, while your bare hand is comfortable at that location and with the exhaust temperature, I'm going to suddenly load that engine. Remember, a diesel engines air volume will be nearly the same from no load to full load (2400 RPM down to 2200 RPM) because there is no throttle butterfly like a gasoline engine. I wonder how many seconds it will take you to move your hand up much higher, or more likely move it clear away from the exhaust gas stream...???? The total air volume is almost exactly the same, less 200 RPM, but your flesh is now burned.......hot expanding exhaust gases drive the turbo. That is why the same tractor with a turbocharger has very little turbo boost at no load, but as soon as it is loaded may have 10 to 20 psi of boost.....the same thing that caused you to pull your hand away is driving and creating that turbo boost. Let's schedule a dyno date and set this demonstration up. I'll bring the ladder.
O.P.S. Heads View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 10:56pm
The Doctors example is a good one.

I agree that it is heat and air, but the bigger factor is the amount of heat being generated at least in a diesel. Yes, there is a compound affect when the exhaust gasses are hotter (due to increased fuel delivery)the turbo spins harder which in turn supplies more air to the engine. None of that would happen however without an increase in the exhaust temps happening first.

With a turbo in a diesel pulling application, the EGT and boost readings are the highest at the end of a good run. If you track the boost numbers with the EGT numbers you will see they increase together.

If you reduce the amount of water injection from one pull to the next with all other adjustments remaining the same, the EGT and boost numbers will most likely increase together. Add water, EGT's and boost will both decrease.

MATPA47 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MATPA47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 8:33am
We must all be crazy.. I guess il go make boost with my special turbo that uses heat and air..
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 12:55pm
You are both correct, and both wrong, well, "incomplete". The correct term for turbomachinery and what drives it is called enthalpy. It is the combination of temperature, pressure, and the physical properties of the media flowing through the turbine.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 9:52pm
A turbo is like a jet engine. What makes the turbin turn in a jet engine? HEAT from the fuel being burned. There are no pistons or fan to push air HEAT from fire.  MACK
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 7:15am
I'm thinking a bigger plasma powered flux capacitor would help spool things up better ?? maybe not.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 8:07am
Mack, yep, heat, there is a temperature drop across a turbine as heat flows from hot to cold. There is also a pressure drop across a turbine as the flowing media moves from high pressure to low pressure (it has too!) Also, the density of the media has a role. Enthalpy is a term that basically means the total of a all forms of energy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic