This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sherman step down

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zaddison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sherman step down
    Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 12:28pm
I've been looking for a Sherman step down and I've got one located. But I've been told they won't hold much more then stock horsepower is this true. Don't want to spend the $500 if it won't hold my power what little I have haha. Thanks guys, Zeb.
Sponsored Links

cms View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 1:06pm
I ran one with a 450 CID motor in 3rd high with 16.9*38 and had no problem. have to tie it in so it wont jump out.
Zaddison View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zaddison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 1:12pm
Okay thanks. My motor is about half that size in my wc with 13.6/38 so it should be fine. Is $500 about right price wise.

Edited by Zaddison - 29 Dec 2014 at 1:13pm
cms View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 1:16pm
i bought a whole tractor to get mine. 
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 2:53pm
I believe there were two brands.....Sherman and Heisler. One was better than the other for strength I was told years ago. Running in "high" is direct drive and wouldn't break anything.
Zaddison View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zaddison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 2:58pm
Well maybe I should just save my $500. Also don't know if are local pulls would allow it they may say its not stock appearing since my tractor didnt come with it from the factory.
cms View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 8:00pm
Don't shift it on track put gear at trailer  leave it. They were available as a add on just like m&w were for ihc for picking corn and other slow operations.
Larry(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 2:06pm
Thats seems about the bottom going rate for one.  Cannot shift on the go and like he said, tie it down into gear and it will be fine
'40 WC puller,'50 WD puller,'50 M puller '65 770 Ollie

*ALLIS EXPRESS contact*

I can explain it to you, BUT I cannot understand it for you!!
cms View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2015 at 9:44am
What I mean on shifting is don't hook to sled then change lever. If you ran high range change at trailer. 
Zaddison View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zaddison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2015 at 5:02pm
This could be a stupid but I can't figure this Sherman step down out. I'm not sure how to install it. It slides in the tranny is there suppose to be a shaft with it that runs from the rearend to the step down that I'm missing. I don't see any other way it would work.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2015 at 5:46pm
You have to have a new enough WC to have the "throw-out" coupler just ahead of the rearend. An old flat top WC usually doesn't have this throw-out coupler feature.
Zaddison View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zaddison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2015 at 5:57pm
Ok thank you dr guess I need a new rear end then.
Pipe View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 8:39pm
I got one on a 35 wc you don't need a new rear end. Why don't you post a few pictures of what you have and someone can help you. Also if someone is looking for a whole tractor with a step down mines for sale. In Mi.   
Zaddison View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zaddison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 12:18pm
Mine had a solid shaft no throw out coupler. I'm not sure how to post pictures. Instead of messing around with changing pinion shafts I just bought a steel rearend that had the trow out coupler for $200. The said it would be around 75lbs lighter so I can put more wieght upfront and the brakes work which mine didnt haha so I think it was worth it. Thanks for the help.
Zaddison View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zaddison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 7:45am
Can some one please tell me which way you move the lever for direct drive and what way you move it for the step down. Also is it the same pattern for the step up. I think I may have been sold a step up. The guy said he has another one but I don't want to take it apart to found out. Thanks, Zeb.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 8:38am
Well, I'd think you could tell by shifting the tranny into 4th gear and trying your Sherman in both positions while driving it down the road? I know I could sure tell which one is faster or slower.
Zaddison View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zaddison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 11:04am
Yes I've done that. And I can tell a difference however each way would be different on a step up also I'm trying to figure out if I have a step up or down. If u pull the lever back its faster and I was told forward was direct drive which makes me think it's a step up. That's why I was hoping some one on here had a stepdown and could tell me what way direct drive and step down was.
Larry(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 12:05pm
Need some tooth counts and is it a wide gear or narrow gear?

*ALLIS EXPRESS contact*

Pipe View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 1:26pm
backwards, pull lever toward you is the step down
Zaddison View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zaddison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 2:24pm
Thanks pipe that's what I needed to know when I pull the lever torwards me it goes faster so I must have a step up.
Larry(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 5:43am
Here are the ratio's that I had gotten from an old WC puller. I guess there was a narrow gear and wide gear box.

*ALLIS EXPRESS contact*

Zaddison View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zaddison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 7:34am
Ok thanks Larry. mine has 15 on top not sure on the bottom would have to count but I took it off last night and marked it fowared is direct and back is stepup. So I was sold the wrong box.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 8:20am
If you run "over-drive" 1st gear the actual speed will be nearly identical to 2nd gear "under-drive", so what's the problem?????????
Zaddison View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zaddison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 8:28am
The problem is its a 3mph class and my tractor has 15.5/38s and it doesn't have enough power to compete in the 4500lbs class. I payed for a step down not a stepup like I got. It would be like ordering glow plugs for a diesel pickup and getin spark plugs it's not what I wanted.
mgburchard View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 7:38pm
How much do you want for it ?
Zaddison View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zaddison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 9:49pm
Sorry not for sale its Goin back to the guy I bought it from
Conley707 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conley707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2023 at 11:38am
By chance do you still have this tractor and transmission? At pipe20

Edited by Conley707 - 06 Sep 2023 at 11:39am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic