This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

720 rear pto rebuild q's

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 720 rear pto rebuild q's
    Posted: 09 Dec 2014 at 4:50am
just curious what the part's availability is to rebuild one.  Is anything available aftermarket or does it all have to be through agco? my 616 does not have one but am looking to add one so I'd like to make it like new (clutch, bearings, etc).

Thanks!
David
Sponsored Links

aras View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2014 at 5:46am
The clutch is very expensive and one of the shaft bearings is hard to find.  The shaft is not available.
coggonobrien View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2014 at 11:50am
what price range on the clutch?
aras View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 7:13am
Wow -- Looks like it may not be available anymore?  Yikes
dashingrampallian View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dashingrampallian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 8:31am
Yeah its not available anymore... I will check and let you know if i get any clue...
Roach View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 11:30am
Don't know about shaft but just priced the clutch from my local Agco dealer two weeks ago. He said the clutch was still available for $514.00.
1937 WC, 1948 G,1954 CA,1956 WD45, 1967 D17, 1937 M crawler, 1963 D-19, 1966 190XT, 1967 D-15, 1948 HG42 Cletrac, 1955 G456 Terra Trac, CAT 10 1928 and CAT 22 1938
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2014 at 4:53pm
does anybody know if you can simply rebuild the old clutch vs replacing the whole unit?
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2014 at 9:11pm
probley not unless it just needs new bearings and maybe the magnet and disc pressed a few .000 closer make sure you have got twelve volts to it and real good ground maybe all it needs
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2014 at 7:50am
I don't have anything to offer in way of clutch advice, except
I wonder how much money has been spent around the world on
problematic electric clutches. Almost a plague on humanity.
My 620 has a working rear PTO. I don't use it because I don't have
any implements. However, I would miss it if it were gone.
A flail mower and a semi-mounted PTO operated Cyclone type leaf vacuum/shredder are what I would want. And/or a JD 260 finish mower.
Cat 0 implements are rare, 2000 rpm PTO driven implements even rarer. I can't even find CAT 0 PTO shaft parts. Despite it all, your machine is worth more if it has a working rear PTO.
ShaunE View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShaunE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2015 at 2:56pm
I rebuilt mine about five years ago.

I needed both bearings & just the "Field Assembly" for the clutch which was available @ Sandy Lake Imp. Part#-16521356

Small Bearing Part # - 176050 (NLA), Fedral Mogul # - X908-CC (Available), NAPA # - 6908VAL (Available).

Large Bearing Part # - 177960 Supersedes to 1663355. Buy it get it home & realize the inside race is wider than the outside race by approx .197".  It is the only difference, but it crates too much of an air gap to engage the clutch when the switch is flipped. 

I removed & disassembled it.  I believe it was the shaft I placed in my lathe & machined the housing approximately .098" to seat the bearing in farther.  It's been so long since I looked inside at it I really cant remember exactly what I machined down.

But it works like a dream.

I hope this helps.

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2015 at 11:23am
ShaunE what is in the field assembly kit?
ShaunE View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShaunE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 11:42am
I purchased Part #1652656 - Field Assembly.  It is picture #33 in the Simplicity 9020 Parts manual.

It is just the electric coil portion of the entire clutch assembly.  It has the plug for the harness & it is what the chain link attaches to to keep it from spinning.

Mine was shot.  It looked like someone unspooled a MIG welder in the belly of the tractor.

When I was working on this & noticed the bearing race difference between the larger bearings, I called Simplicity & spoke with a guy named Mark. I told him the superseded number was not the same bearing.  He did some research & notified me back that I was correct & that he found what he called "Service Bulletin 77-4" which stated the bearings were NOT interchangeable.
John Price View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 8:19pm
I have a front clutch that isn't working.  At least not as it should.  It has 12v going to it and it is magnetic, but not enough to grab to the pulley side of the clutch and hold.  I have removed it from the my 720 and intend to do something about it.  I have researched on the web and found a site, (weekend freedom machines), that discusses rewinding one of these clutches. I can not imagine the bearings being that hard to find, especially with the power of the web.  Also the shaft may not be easy to reproduce, but its a shaft and fundamentally it's a rod with with splines or a key, the other end is a T if I recall.  I haven't researched this enough, but there are about 1,000 different vehicle air conditioner units on the road today and there has to be one that can cross reference or retrofit.  When I find the links to the two sites I found on this matter, I'll share.  Good Luck. JP
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 2:17pm
http://simpletractors.com/Club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=111840
http://www.wfmachines.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/6-Technical-FAQ-Archive

These are the two sites I found that speak of rewinding an electric clutch. I have this in my future. If I ever get around to it, I'll let you know how it went. JP
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 2:18pm
Mr. Coggonobrien, I resent those photos. Please let me know if they help or if you need something more or different. Call/txt me with your questions. JP
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic