This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Panks broadening horizons

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fields Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 11:23pm
That picture of the crank is WRONG. It should be IN THE GARBAGE CAN.
Sponsored Links

Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2014 at 6:57am
Originally posted by mgburchard mgburchard wrote:

Butch sometimes Pankey says going forward is backing up tarbills motor did teach him a thing or three . one thing it had a large duration relative small lift cam from comp cams . didn't lug well at end of pu all but ran strong enough in the middle to get past everyone to be a points champ . so Pankey goes with more duration now and even though Marty says its all wrong well it got past two of his this year

Well I am certainly glad to see you finally come clean on that deal. 

Some day Pank, you just might figure out that is OK to not know it all, none of us do and it sure makes life's lessons a whole lot less painful when you don't have to get hit over the head to learn them.

Edited by Butch(OH) - 01 Oct 2014 at 6:58am
cranky View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2014 at 8:33am
many people have bought cnc equipment thinking well you don't have to be a machinist! well not only do you have to learn a new language you will also need to invest and become trained in computer aided design,expect to spend roughly $4000.00 on this software so you can develop a three dimensional model of the part.
    next you will need to invest in a computer aided mfg. software,expect to spend $15000.00 on this product so you can develop a tool cutting path.these two tools will require many hours of training and exercise to become proficient.now you should also have available software to evaluate your part design,finite element analysis to locate concentrated stresses,without this tool you may be creating a lemon and not even be aware of it! expect to pay upwards of $100000.00 for this technology and many people spend years in college to master this software.
I am not trying to discourage you but as with anything there is more to this than it seems,there are many late model machines for sale because buyers were not aware of the knowledge required or other costs involved in this trade.
I for one will be looking forward to your newly designed parts for puling
mgburchard View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2014 at 9:25am
Fields How can you say that cranks wrong its a proven natpa points winner . cranky we went with mazak over others because of the language and have experience with mazak
mattb View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2014 at 9:59am
the tractor in the picture don't have big enough tires on it to need more than 60hp to win looks to me
Larry(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2014 at 10:45am

You got to narrow journal up if you use a narrower rod if you plan on having any oil pressure . Pankey went over this when your pal Andy was recommending just turning allis crank down to farmal h rod diameter but the h rod is narrower. Butch sometimes Pankey says going forward is backing up tarbills motor did teach him a thing or three . one thing it had a large duration relative small lift cam from comp cams . didn't lug well at end of pu all but ran strong enough in the middle to get past everyone to be a points champ . so Pankey goes with more duration now and even though Marty says its all wrong well it got past two of his this year
So is this the cam I ended up with?  small lift, lots of duration?   Was it in Tarbills engine too?  cant remember
'40 WC puller,'50 WD puller,'50 M puller '65 770 Ollie

*ALLIS EXPRESS contact*

I can explain it to you, BUT I cannot understand it for you!!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2014 at 11:07am
Originally posted by Larry(OH) Larry(OH) wrote:

You got to narrow journal up if you use a narrower rod if you plan on having any oil pressure . Pankey went over this when your pal Andy was recommending just turning allis crank down to farmal h rod diameter but the h rod is narrower. Butch sometimes Pankey says going forward is backing up tarbills motor did teach him a thing or three . one thing it had a large duration relative small lift cam from comp cams . didn't lug well at end of pu all but ran strong enough in the middle to get past everyone to be a points champ . so Pankey goes with more duration now and even though Marty says its all wrong well it got past two of his this year

So is this the cam I ended up with?  small lift, lots of duration?   Was it in Tarbills engine too?  cant remember
according to Mitch you have the camshaft that jt Richardson ground that's the same profile barney Taylor had jt grind before jt passed away . the can in tarbills engine was ground by comp cams not a Richardson grind.
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2014 at 11:41am
Several weeks ago, Larry asked for data on his camshaft.  He still doesn't have any.  Pank, you seam to have a hard time explaining anything or giving any hard numbers on anything.

That's to bad, machining parts, building engines is precise work.

Can you take time to explain how a narrower journal requires more welding as in your previous statements, or are you going to side step that one after you realized you have no experience or knowledge when it comes to crankshaft work.
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2014 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by wi50 wi50 wrote:

Several weeks ago, Larry asked for data on his camshaft.  He still doesn't have any.  Pank, you seam to have a hard time explaining anything or giving any hard numbers on anything.

That's to bad, machining parts, building engines is precise work.

Can you take time to explain how a narrower journal requires more welding as in your previous statements, or are you going to side step that one after you realized you have no experience or knowledge when it comes to crankshaft work.

Pankey says sure custumer wants to use 8 inch long h rod which by memory is 1.455 not exact from memory wide his crank journal is machined to utilize the allis factory 7.5 long rod with a width again from memory not exact but around 1.735 wide . so you have .280 difference in width if you don't weld its going to be hard to keep oil hole covered unless you design a piston guided rod and then it will be still hard to maintain oil pressure without welding
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2014 at 12:31pm

Originally posted by Butch(OH) Butch(OH) wrote:

I don't think twin wire welding has dried up I think Mitch just advanced it being able to utilize another machine to make rods capable of using a readily available narrow automotive h series rod bearing instead of antique pricey over a inch wide tractor rod bearings

He advanced twin wire welding to be able to use another machine to make rods Eh? 
If you only know how STUPID that statement is, LOL  

You are even more  clueless than I ever even thought you were Pank
naw showing yours see to use the rod the crank will have to be welded to use .942 wide rod making crank welder even more work to.

In case you're to inbred to know what you were talking about today, I saved it here for you to read again....readily available H series automotive bearing, .942 rod....sure you are now going to got to Farmall H rods in a defense that you know you are wrong.  Nice try, but once again, you haven't any idea what you are talking about.

Please tell us how this .942 wide rod is going to require more welding.  Sorry any of the narrow rod bearings that are narrow enough to be used with any crankshaft radius at all are in the 2" to 2.100" diameter range to be used in a rod as narrow as .942".  That's how it is my simple minded friend, the bearing has to be narrower than the rod to allow for a radius, or an undercut radius.  To get into any of the automotive H series bearings, you will be grinding the original crankpin down in diameter enough that you won't need any welding, it will center the rod anywhere you grind the journal.  If welding stroke, the welding work is less as I explained.

"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2014 at 12:44pm
About .800 difference in width
Fields View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fields Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2014 at 8:54pm
If planky. Has his hands in it. Ain't going to last.
Ken(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 5:54am
I'm guessing we have it all wrong here, considering the fact that Pank now owns (supposedly) a machine that you don't have to be a machinist to run, my guess is, he's going the distance and will be sinking dies to have his own custom cranks forged, the Mazak probably has a button that says "special Allis crank" and another that says "please select a stroke" and then "Run" and viola!!!! out comes a set of dies ready to head to the forging foundry that will ship a completed custom cast-forged crank in a matter of days. Pank now admits to "not being a Machinist", he can add to his resume "not being a Die sinker" and with the help of Mazak language, conquer the manufacturing world and performance industry as we know it. I'm sure the TVA will give him a few days off in December so he can show his stuff at the PRI show in Indy.
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 7:01am
Ken your jealousy of  Pank's secrete forged cast iron crankshafts is showing. Wink

Hey Pank before you vise up a billet in that Mazak I suggest you get very familiar with one CNC term,,,,
CRASH!!!

Ken(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 7:18am
I guess I'm just a little peeved that I went through a six year Apprenticeship, four years of College, and about a dozen Journeyman reviews to achieve Journeyman status, and Pank goes out and buys a machine that does it all for him..... I wish I had one CNC as smart as that Mazak is supposed to be. And I've seen all the "Programmers" who have no machine experience I care to see and the results of their efforts. LOL  It reminds me of a IMTS show in Chicago a few years ago where Mori-Seiki had a forging die for a crankshaft on display, I was looking at it when a 30 year old Salesman approached me and commented on what a marvel it was and asked me what I thought about it. My response was that I was wondering about how many people in attendance at the show that day could produce this without a CNC machine, the salesman stated that this would be an "impossible task without CNC capability". I asked him how he thought this was done before the advent of CNC and received the "deer in the headlights look". Never did get an answer.
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 7:37am
Ken,
Perhaps the Tenn wizzkids will have one of their infamous classes and invite us all down to learn how to push the correct buttons on the Mazak  to turn out A-C pulling engines, 650 cubes. Be sorta like his crank balancer video class, push the start button, viola! balanced engine. 

We could share a ride if you want.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 8:55am
Butch Mitch didn't want to teach you how to balance he wanted to tease you and Marty after all if he had made a teaching video it would have had more YouTube hits than a slow talking yank and a Giddings
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 10:00am
We commissioned the Giddings in the spring of 2014.  Video is linked to several forums where people who actually do things can watch our abilities and decide if they want to ship work our direction.  Current back log for a spot on the work table is estimated to be mid summer 2015. I judge the video's application to be a success.  

Let us know when you get the TVA's permission to use that Mazak and be sure to take a video, it will certainly go viral as the first hard evidence of Pank doing anything besides yak-yak.  And while your at it point the camera at that twin wire Gleason that you own,,, liar. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 11:41am
Butch he has done shown you he has a crank balancer ,grinder and press it would just make you more envious if he showed you the welder .its close to happening

Edited by mgburchard - 02 Oct 2014 at 11:51am
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by Butch(OH) Butch(OH) wrote:

Ken your jealousy of  Pank's secrete forged cast iron crankshafts is showing. Wink

Hey Pank before you vise up a billet in that Mazak I suggest you get very familiar with one CNC term,,,,
CRASH!!!

Clap LOL
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 7:05pm
I've seen all the "Programmers" who have no machine experience I care to see and the results of their efforts.
 Me too Ken. I worked with the company guy and our programmer setting up a new slant bed Okuma lathe one time. It took me 3 days to convince them that no matter what the claims were for the machine, you can't cut a 5/8-24 thread on a bronze casting at 3500 rpm. It worked great when I slowed it down to about 1500 Big smile
 I don't know if it is possible now but back in the 80's that top of the line technology couldn't do it.
 I really want to see that Mazak right after the first part is run thru it.

cranky View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 7:25pm
did anyone on this forum attend the balancing classes panky put on at his shop?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 9:52pm
 I gots pics LOL
Ken(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2014 at 6:40am
No Charlie, it's not possible today, contrary to what the salesmen will tell you, I can recount many times when we have had a new Whiz come through the door with big claims, only to be sent packing when he can't back them up in the real world.  There have been improvements and I have seen some impressive things develop, but the steps are small. We are entering a new phase of machining where the story seems to be small fast cuts, Haas has been the biggest contributor to this train of thought, mainly because the machinery they build isn't substantial enough to handle deep heavy cuts. At the end of the day, moderate speed and maximum depths of cut will win in the race to move stock, especially when cutting tough materials. We have both extremes in our shop, I have a Hurco with a work envelope of 16 x 30 x 18, and a twenty year old Monarch with roughly the same envelope, the Hurco weighs about three tons, and the Monarch weighs ten, guess where the  pre-hard material @ 38-42 Rc gets machined?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2014 at 8:11am
Yep, working with stuff like hastelloy, or any other exotics is about the same. Take fast light cut and burn up tooling all day or snag a chunck with a moderate speed and good feed and get the job done.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic