This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Old garden tractor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis(IA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old garden tractor
    Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 4:40pm
I am working on an old Garden Mark Squire garden tractor. I am guessing the tractor was built in the early '60's???? It has an oil bath air filter and a 12V Delco starter/generator.   What I need is information on the transaxle. The transaxle is a 3 speed forward 1 reverse. The axle seals are leaking and I am not sure how to remove the axle to replace the seals. The differential is located outside the transaxle near the right wheel, took me awhile to figure out what that gearbox was.
Dennis
Sponsored Links

CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 5:25pm
If the shaft isn't bigger outside the seal area, maybe drive a sheet metal screw into the seal tin and slide hammer it off with a vise grip. I found a piece of 7/16-14 all thread replaces the adjusting screw in my vise grip and I slide a 2 inch round about 2 inches long over the rod and double nut the back of the rod. Works Great for a lot of things.
 If ya don't get any better answers, there are some Monkey Wards forums out there. In fact I signed up to one several years ago to ask about my chain saw but don't go there very often. Some day I will get my Monkey Wards 3 speed lawn mower going again Big smile

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 30 Apr 2014 at 5:28pm
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 6:50pm
I'm about positive the Garden Mark Squire is a Simplicity/Allis.  Any chance at a picture?  Would be the same as a B10, from what I can gather.
AaronSEIA
ACmowerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACmowerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 8:38pm
If it has an oil bath its probably more comparable to a B-1. The seals usually can be changed without removing the alxe tube. Just remove the hubs and differential. Clean up the axle tube with some emery paper. Pop out the old seals with some sheet metal screws as suggested but make sure not to drive the screws in too far, or a seal puller would also work.
10 various B-series garden tractors, AC Homesteader8, 416 hydro,710 gt, 914, 916H, 917H, 920D, and many misc attachments
Dennis(IA) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis(IA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 9:14pm
I have the hub off the right side (differential side)removed the snap ring and washers, and nether axle moves. I will try to get some pics tomorrow.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis(IA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2014 at 10:18am
Pictures of the Garden Mark, if I can remember how? Nope, can't remember.

Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis(IA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 8:43pm
I found a number on the seal and took it to two auto. parts stores and neither store could find a seal with that number. Thanks to AaronSEIA I went to our local AGCO dealer (I am fortunate to have one close in Indianola) and he looked up the seal and went to the parts shelf and found the seal. I went home and installed it (It was the correct seal). Then went back after another seal (he had two) and put it in the other side.
AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 5:23pm
Glad I could be of some help.
AaronSEIA
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by Dennis(IA) Dennis(IA) wrote:

I found a number on the seal and took it to two auto. parts stores and neither store could find a seal with that number.

You don't need a number for a shaft seal. Measure the shaft size and the bore or OD of the current seal. The only other dimension is the width and that can vary in many applications. With those numbers or with the old seal in hand your local bearing supply house CAN hook you up with a replacement.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic