This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

turbo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200 allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: turbo
    Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 7:19pm
i have read on here guys using hx 35 turbos but there are a bunch of different ones thought maybe someone would know sizes to use
Sponsored Links

O.P.S. Heads View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 9:38pm
Open RPM or limited?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 9:41pm
And how much fuel delivery? What pump are you using?
200 allis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200 allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 6:05am
I'm running 3000 rpm and standyne pump with 390 head with 7080 injectors opened up more
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 9:29am
Most any HX35 you find will have the same turbine wheel (70mm in and 60mm out) so that's easy. You are right. There are a few different compressor wheels and covers. I would start with any of them that have a 65mm inlet (2.20 inches). The seven blade version would be optimum, but the eight blade will work fine too. Find the tightest turbine housing you can. I would even use the 12cm waste gate housing with the gate tied shut. The issue there is that you have to make an adapter plate between the exhaust manifold and the Holset turbo to convert from the T4 pattern on the manifold to the T3 pattern on the turbo. They offer these plates on Ebay if needed.

I have heard that an Air Research Turbine housing can be used on the Holset turbo by machining the I.D. of the Air Research housing. That would be a slick installation if it could be done. Use the same exhaust elbow to go through the hood. I haven't tried it, just heard about it.

How big did you make the injector orifices and how much fuel does your pump deliver?
200 allis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200 allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 12:35pm
thank u for the info. I figured on making a adapter plate. When u say 12cm housing where is that measured. Do recommend using a used turbo. I am not sure of orifices size or fuel. A guy in pa set it up the for me.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 2:51pm
The size of the turbine housing is stamped or cast into the housing. Typically on the outside near the foot where it bolts to the manifold or can be stamped just inside of the inlet. I think the 12cm wasted housing was very common on Dodge trucks with the 5.9 Cummins.

A used turbo will work fine as long as it is in good condition.

My question on the injector orifice size is important. If they are too big it won't run very good no matter what the turbo is. I would say a maximum of 4 holes with .020" orifices. It may have worked just fine with the 7080 injectors depending on the amount of fuel the pump is delivering. Be sure the injection pump timing is no more than 34 degrees if your conn rods are not heat treated.

Edited by O.P.S. Heads - 12 Mar 2014 at 3:12pm
2wise4agm View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2wise4agm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 5:14pm
What size are the 7080 tips?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 5:20pm
7080 tips factory stock are .0148" I think.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 5:24pm
Yep, I remember them as being just under .015" X 4 holes. I would guess the 7580, N5, N6, nozzle tips are the same as long as it is the Allis injector - not Bosch?

One other thing, the newer, low profile, o-ring type Allis injector bodies have a larger fuel passage through them from the line to the tip. That helps performance too. The older ones can be drilled, but it's not much fun.

Edited by O.P.S. Heads - 12 Mar 2014 at 5:28pm
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 5:36pm
7080-7580-old N6 with AC injectors should all be the same .0148" 4 hole tips. I don't think I ever saw an N5 with AC injectors, but if so, they were smaller holes and the Roosa pump had .290" plungers versus the N6 at .310" plungers and 2850 top rpm's.
200 allis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200 allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 5:37pm
I think the orifice are .020 and definitely 4 hole
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 5:40pm
If that's what they are you should be OK.
200 allis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200 allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 5:44pm
It was funny u had mentioned the timing because mine is set at 35 degrees. I had ran tractor one time with this fuel set up and stock turbo and lost a cylinder after pull. Took head off thought exhaust valve were really tight. Thought they had carbon hanging them open cause egt. Got hot then I found bend rod
200 allis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200 allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 5:45pm
It ran real strong pull but that was it.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 5:55pm
I prefer 32 degrees myself especially at 3,000 RPM.

Is the head still off? Do some smoothing up of the ports if it is and add a nice valve job. You will be happy you did.
200 allis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200 allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 6:20pm
Head is still off I had it gone over 30 pound heavier springs heavier keepers,valve job and he cleaned the ports out some
200 allis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200 allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 6:23pm
When they set the pump up they told me to put it at 35 degrees u thinking It would be better 32. I'm debating whether to have the rods harden
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 6:29pm
If you have the rods hardened properly you will have no issues. Yes 32 degrees is safer. With hard rods you could run 35 - 36 degrees. Much more than that and it may not lug as well as it would from 32 - 34.

My buddy has a set of six for $165.00 each. You would need to use new bolts when you install them.

Think about it: If you have already folded a rod and you plan on making more power, you will probably fold more rods if you don't change something.

Edited by O.P.S. Heads - 12 Mar 2014 at 6:34pm
200 allis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200 allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 6:37pm
The rods are already harden 
200 allis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200 allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 6:42pm
I meant the rods your buddy has are harden
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 6:45pm
Yes they are hard. You will not bend them.
200 allis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200 allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 6:53pm
I am interested in them and where could I get new bolts. 
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 7:32pm
Any Agco dealer.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2014 at 12:34pm
In order for my Roosa fueled 426 to run right, I've got to be in the 40* range. Hardened rods are a must. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic