This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

720 being spruced up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote den/southern illinoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 720 being spruced up
    Posted: 01 Feb 2014 at 7:39pm
The last 720 that I bought had seen some rough times.  Had to change out the tranny as it had some locking up problems.  Lots of other items with the paint looking pretty sad so decided to take it down and repaint and fix all the items that needed done. 
Here's the frame shortly after reattaching the front and rear ends.

Control frame mounted.

Some sheet metal installed and the motor installed. 

Hope to shake out all the wiring problems next week and have it running again.  Den

Own 5 720 garden tractors with associated equipment,1 620 garden tractor, 4 wheel 20
2-5015, 5020 and associated equipment and 2 electric forklifts.
Sponsored Links

Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 6:13am
So that's what they look like down to the bare bones! Lookin' good Den. Is this number 5? Lost count on how many you have!    LOL!
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 1:29pm
Post more pictures if you can.
Thank you.
den/southern illinoi View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote den/southern illinoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 4:08pm
Yes, I hope to post some more pictures after Saturday when we should make some more progress. 
Steve, this is actually 720 #6.  I skipped #s 4 and 5 as this one really needed some help.  I plan on also doing # 4 complete and not touching # 5 as it's in pretty fair condition paint wise and want to keep one that I can take out in the rougher places without messing up too much. 
Den

Own 5 720 garden tractors with associated equipment,1 620 garden tractor, 4 wheel 20
Steve Kauffman View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Kauffman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 4:25pm
Yes keep the pictures coming den.i want to see it looking like new, or better,,,
Steve
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 4:45pm
I wonder if the machine can accept a mid-mount (center) grading blade.
den/southern illinoi View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote den/southern illinoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 5:01pm
It would be easy to mount one by hooking to the same mule that the belly mower uses along with the lift cables to lift it but the problem then would be that the blade would tilt right or left the same as the front end.  This feature makes the mower produce a great looking job but would not be good for a blade to level things.  If for moving snow etc, would probably work.  Den

nickia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 6:58pm
i have a allis 716 which is bare bones was wondering if any one has ever put a motor from a b or c allis in a lawn tractor?  it looks like there is room  and you can buy an engine on ebay for a littke bit of nothing.  
Seth Souerdike View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seth Souerdike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2014 at 11:38am
lookin good, hope your able to post pics when shes all done :D
There are no atheist in foxholes.

Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2014 at 6:37am
Ah! I figured you were getting up around 5 or 6. Keep us posted on that puppy. Keep them pics comin'!
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2014 at 9:10am
I think I read someone stuffed a Kubota 3 cylinder water cooled engine in there.
Doesn't seem possible, too long, too tall. Is stretching the frame something people have done?   John deere had the 318 with the Onan and the similar 322 with that Kubota.
A water cooled v-twin Kawasaki would be nice. Maybe we harp too much on the demise of the Onan. There must be a bazillion out there in generators and such.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic