This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

7.3L project (not AC related)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sks72107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7.3L project (not AC related)
    Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 1:41pm
So my AC friends im in the process of building a mechanical 7.3 powerstroke.  All the machining is being done by my dad and i. Its been a long coming project, I first wanted to do this several years back at which time the project initiated itself.  Im to the point now where its time to start building the injection pump. I already have an injection pump, but unfortunately its not ready to go which is why im here. Perhaps not the best forum to post this but i know there is some very knowledgeable people on here.  The pump is already mouted, its just the internal working that im focusin on now. 

The pump is originally off of a generator which was set to run at a constant RPM.  The pump is a bosch P-series 79XX if i remember right.  The plunger elements are not the proper ones for this application, being as they were for a generator.  So the HP goal is a 600ish sunday driver.  Im guessing 12mm plungers will do the job.  Some parts  im sure can be taken straight from the 5.9 guys.  So first question, whats the part numbers to the plunger elements that the 5.9 guys are using?? Also I need to address the pump cam.  The cam it has is designed to spin CCW, i need it to spin CW.  I know bosch makes bidirectional pump cams, so can my cam be turned into a bidirectional cam?  Delivery valves and what not be bought aftermaret.  Any pump gurus here??  THanks

Its been a slow project, theres still a lot to do. 
Sponsored Links

BennyLumpkin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BennyLumpkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 1:57pm
What did the mechanical Powerstroke come in? I thought all Powrstrokes were electronic controlled injectors. A 7.3 IDI is all mechanical but aside from being the same displacement has basivally zero in common with a Powerstroke. Not saying I don't believe you, just curious what the engine came in, year, etc.
Central PA Allis Express
1934 WC254
1945 WF
1945 WC135755
1951 WD68085
1953 WD45-150217
1957 WD45D-230744D
B110
sks72107 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sks72107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 4:13pm
Lol. A mechanical injection pump was not a factory option, but it sure looks good sitting in the engine valley.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2013 at 4:54am
there was a mechanical powerstroke  writeup in diesel power magazine some time in the last year or so.  maby you can search and find the owners/builders and get some advice.  i cant say which issue or i would look but i have a whole stack

hypermax sells a kit to convert!! only $17K  mabyyou could ask the tech guy some questions?

Edited by CAL(KS) - 18 Dec 2013 at 5:01am
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2013 at 5:03am
just found in a search.  the truck in Diesel power mag is called Double overtime.

for those unfamiliar and interested, there are quite a few pics around the net.  mostly in pulling trucks 1500+ hp
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2013 at 7:16am
I'm a pump guy, but am kinda lost in your description. You want to put a P pump on a 7.3, but it's already mounted? So you have an 8 cylinder P pump? Sunday driver? lol! 12mm big enough? lol! Been reading too many magazines. 10mm P pump is a lot of fuel on an 8 cylinder. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
sks72107 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sks72107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2013 at 7:59am
Ed thats correct, I already have a pump and have it mounted, but the internal workings of the pump need to be addressed, i.e. elements, cam and DV's. As far as i can tell there isnt a big difference between cummins 5.9 and 7.3L displacement/cylinder ratio.  This is why i thought 12mm would be a good place to start. It would seem as if the 5.9 guys start looking at 13mm plungers when they start shooting for the 1000hp area. Perhaps im looking at this from the wrong angle.  And i dont read the magazines, ill put my money elsewhere.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2013 at 8:35am
ok, sounds like you've done some leg work. What was the pump off of? The plungers the 5.9 guys are using are P7100 pumps, which dont fit into a std P pump anyway. Good thing, they're twice the price, and when buying 8, whoa! lol! The most important thing to consider when choosing a plunger & barrel, is whether it's a non retard to start. I wouldn't do a hi lift cam for something for the road. The cams are pretty aggressive already, and doing cam work would sacrifice longevity, with very little gain. Again, the pump you have may have some good usable stuff already. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
sks72107 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sks72107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2013 at 2:24pm
Thanks Ed that the type of info im looking for!! Someone with knowledge thats willing to teach a guy.  This statement confuses me "The plungers the 5.9 guys are using are P7100 pumps, which dont fit into a std P pump anyway." I thought that all the inline pumped 5.9's were P7100 pumps, maybe a P3000 or a A-pump which we dont need to get into at this point.  The pump im trying to work with was supposedly off of a generator, i dont know the exact application.  If you are willing to look stuff up, I can tell you the numbers off of the houseing and maybe even the elements(thought they may have been stamped in the top cast piece). So, lets start with what i have and then we can go from there.

I originally found a smoking deal on an MW series pump that may have worked, but only fuel to about stock HP, and there really isnt much work that can be done to an MW pump.  Then i kicked around the A pump, which i felt had some potential(and availability), but the plungers are limited to 10mm or 10.5mm. So i thought for reliability and longevity this may not be the best route.  So i looked around a came up with the current pump i have. 

I fully understand that the 7.3L is capable of making my power goal with readily available items, but this project has me hyped(and the wife is OK with it!!). And my dad and i have had a blast working on it together.  Thanks for all your help Ed!!!
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2013 at 7:09am
give me the pump and governor numbers, and lets start with what you have. 
2wise4agm View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2wise4agm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2013 at 11:50am
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but what are you doin for injectors. 7.3 injectors are huge in diameter, plus you have the hp oil galley in the heads to deal with.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2013 at 12:04pm
Exactly. What about the injectors and cylinder heads??????
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2013 at 12:59pm
usually adapters are made to fit a more traditional style injector into the large HEUI injector holes in the head. 
sks72107 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sks72107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2013 at 2:00pm
Yea pretty much what Ed said.  My mind was turning one night and i thought of another idea for injectors.  Its still a mechanical injector, but its homebrew and hasnt been put on a pop tester yet, but its getting very very close to working or back to the drawing board. I have some 8.3 injectors that can be made to work if all else fails.
sks72107 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sks72107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 6:41pm
Ok, fun being an LP driver this time of year......

the pump numbers are
0 402 618 813
PE8P120A500/4LS7935

if nothing will work in the pump, I won't shed any tears.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2013 at 8:50am
ok, the PE8P means is's an 8 cylinder P pump, cradle mounted. 120 means 12mm p&b's, but likely to have retart to start notches. 500 has to do with feed pump orientation, not sure what 500 is, 2 feed pumps maybe? The LS means that it is left hand rotation, or counter-clock-wise looking from the front. The 7935 does indicate a 7100 style. I do have access to some aftermarket 13mm p&b's for this pump. Now how about the governor tag. I'll get a parts breakdown when I can, with the holidays coming, my suppliers are on short schedules. 
studer automotive View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studer automotive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2013 at 3:10am
I've owned and modified a several ford idi 7.3's.if this is indeed a idi 7.3 you never made mention of a turbo?? if it has a turbo 10-12 lbs are all these motors can take..... for very long. the cam shaft will need changed also. even with all the mods those motors never did make real big power. I believe 350-375 h.p. is possible. just my 2 cents
a-c 185-d y/r cab turbo soon
99 f-250 7.3 4x4
86 mustang5.0 owned since 8/93              
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic