This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

wd help needed!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wd help needed!
    Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 7:49am
the gov weights messed up while finishing cultivation this summer- tractor sat outside but moved fine and operated as normal- if i held the thottle in all the way it would just idel fine

it rained all summer- new rubber boot on the shifter.

went yesterday while cold (28ish) to try to start her. cultivators were down, had it out of gear and out on the hand clutch- nothing - i was standing on the groud

i thought the motor was stuck-but after a while i realized i hadnt tried it by pushing in the foot clutch- started right up- perfect sound after months and neglect. great!

i had the hold on the clutch down- earlier while i was charging the battery i had taken a high lift jack and lifted up the culitvators and put the holds on them to keep them up.

i try to let out the clutch from the seat and it wants to kill the tractor- in neutral no tractor movement. it is not in gear no hand clutch- i am able to rock the tractor back and forth.

i cant move the pto control - i opened the drin on the pto and nothing came out

what is the matter? a frozen assembly? nothing looks cracked how would i free this up- not near heat.

Thoughts?
Our farms stuff: agco gt55, AA 8775, 8765, 6080, 185, 180, 175, 170, d15, d14, d14, wd, wd, wd, g, F3, L3, R62
Sponsored Links

omahagreg View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omahagreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 8:04am
Ours is VERY particular on the choke when it gets cold, and will act that way until things warm up a bit.  I would warm it up good, and try minute adjustments of the choke, before I would assume anything worse. 
Greg Kroeker
1950 WD with wide front and Freeman trip loader
clint View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 8:06am
i had it running 15 minutes- it was warm
the engine would stop if i let out the foot clutch, tractor out of gear, hand clutch out.
Our farms stuff: agco gt55, AA 8775, 8765, 6080, 185, 180, 175, 170, d15, d14, d14, wd, wd, wd, g, F3, L3, R62
omahagreg View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omahagreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 8:15am
I still say trying adjusting the choke.  Ours acts just like that until it is 'dialed' in just right. 
Greg Kroeker
1950 WD with wide front and Freeman trip loader
ToddSin NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToddSin NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 8:28am
Sounds like you got water in the tranny. Can you hook a chain to it and drag it into a shop to get her warm? I'd want to get on this before you freeze the tranny and the case cracks. The gears are real close to the bottom and would only need about 1/4 inch of water to freeze gears in ice so they can't move.
Osage_Orange View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Osage_Orange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 10:36am
Another possibility on the "not moving" is the transmission is stuck in two gears at one time.  If thawing it out does not solve the problem, remove the shift lever and see if two different gears are engaged.
Why is there never time to do it right the first time, but always time to go back and fix it?
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 10:38am
If you can't get it to the shop, you could do what I did when I wanted to grind feed in the winter. I built a small fire with corncobs under the old junk burr mill. I t would free up in no time. We used to have to burn a few cobs to get the old Red Jacket freed up to pump water years ago too.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 12:55pm
I think the key is  "can't move the PTO control".

The hand clutch in neutral removes the transmission from being the problem.

The PTO is controlled by the foot clutch,and if there is water down in the PTO gear box and frozen , PTO can't turn.

Remove PTO gear box, with a 5 gal. pail under it to catch oil.

Gary
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 8:20am
You might try putting a pan of hot briquettes(Kingsford's match-light are my weapon of use.  LOL) under the PTO gear box and let it warm up and then drain the oil out and put new in it. Be careful you don't let it get to hot!
Don
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

clint View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 10:04am
thanks for the suggestions

yesterday afternoon i took a tube heater and a long ext cord and let it blast the box for about 10 minutes with the drain cap off- a little water at first then the nastiest crap from a gear box i have ever seen- i think it looked like water in the oil but i figured after that long it might have seperated out?

moved the heater, let out the foot clutch- grinding sound for 20 seconds- not loud - more like a buzz- then no sound- i dont think i hurt anything doing that.

wonderful i think- i hop on the seat and get ready to move it. put it in first- pull the hand clutch back and the engine wants to die again (remember the gov is messed up so i am barely at an idle

i try a couple times and bump the thottle to a VERY high idle- so i pulled on the hand clutch then and away i went- got it parked in a barn- the drain plug still off the pto box- i will pull some kero in there for a few minutes when i get a chance and operate it to clean then refill

do i also have water in the tranny? a little maybe? or do i have the same sludge junk that stiffens?

this is my cultivating tractor- i need to have it ready to roll in may- i will pull of the fronts to get to the gov soon i hope- i might even have the boys take them totally apart and clean them up for paint. that would be totally opposite of most i have seen- a restored cultivator sitting on a work clothes tractor!
ToddSin NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToddSin NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 1:05pm
Wouldn't now be a good time to change all of the fluids. I know from experince that it was changed a little while ago, til I get thinkin and then reality sets in and realize its been 3-5 years since it was last done. Then you think I didn't use it that much til you realize wow bout everyday. Time flies when your having fun in the Alli world. LOL!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic