This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD16 Track Tension

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69gmcor70chevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD16 Track Tension
    Posted: 03 Oct 2013 at 10:58am
How do I remove the tension on the track of my 62 HD16? It is the greaseable tightening method but my service manual just references the screw type adjustment. We got our first power grease gun and long story short I tightened the tracks too much....

Remove grease nipple?
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2013 at 4:28pm
There should be a fitting the zerk is installed into inside the cup on the yoke where you grease it to tension. Take a socket the size of that fitting(probably 3/4") and unscrew it a few turns, put a chain on the idler or yoke and pull it back toward the rear. Grease should ooze out.

One caution, take a wire brush to the outside of the sleeve at the adjuster grease fitting, this is the ram of the adjustment cylinder and cleaner is better as far as packing it back in.
69gmcor70chevy View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69gmcor70chevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 11:19am
The reason I have to take the track off is because the greasable ram tensioner is off centre. It is twisting in towards the cat frame. Any thoughts on the cause? I thought it was because the slide plates weren't holding the idler straight but that isn't it.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 12:58pm
On my FD5 there is a separate bolt that relieves the pressure from adjuster as the zerk has a 2nd check ball to keep pressure off the zerk check. 
 Look over the area to see it this is also the same in your case. 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic