This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

cutting up rims to loose weight?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotncrzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cutting up rims to loose weight?
    Posted: 03 Oct 2013 at 7:23am
  What is you guys best guess on how much I could loose cutting patterns out of my rims? They are thick, 3/16" stuff. How would you go about doing it, the do's and Don'ts. 
C, WD45,WD puller, 185, 200, 7060 Red Belly, 7060 Black Belly,8010, and a R52 Gleaner, AND PROUD OF THEM!
Sponsored Links

mattb View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2013 at 7:34am
a wc narrow front is 140 lbs lighter than one from a wd
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2013 at 8:42am
How much you trying to drop?
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2013 at 9:30am
Just my opinion but not enough to mess with there, too much gone wont be good
bradley6874 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradley6874 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2013 at 11:06am
Call your steel dealer they can tell you what a squre foot of 3/16 steel weighs then break that down to per squre inch and then you can figure your patern out and figure out just how little youll lose on the wrong end to boot
You can wash the dirt off the body but you can’t wash the farmer out of the heart and soul
jpankey View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2013 at 3:24pm
check out brothers post on yt pulling forum . there is a front end that will even be lighter than the wc front pedestal . remove what metal you can from rear rims and remove the tubes and run tires tubeless if your tires are decent enough. tubes are a good 15 lbs a piece of coarse run front tires tubeless to. most of the time when a guy thinks he has removed all the weight he can he still leaves 100 lbs worth in 15 to twenty pound increments to be found and removed. lol
patrickmull View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickmull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2013 at 8:29pm
3/16 is 7.5 pounds per square foot
cotncrzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotncrzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2013 at 5:52am
I am trying to loose the weight off the rear to add to the front. I would love to loose 60#. I really didn't want to chop the rims but need moveable weight, if I take it from the front I will need even more. The tracotr weighs 3425. Around here we are allowed 100# at Tunica and a few other places only allowed 40#. My 3500# class driver weighs 130#.
C, WD45,WD puller, 185, 200, 7060 Red Belly, 7060 Black Belly,8010, and a R52 Gleaner, AND PROUD OF THEM!
jpankey View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2013 at 7:39am
isn't your front weight bar 11 feet from center of rear axle?
isn't the front end fixed and centered at a shorter distance from center of rear axle?
Now if you remove weight from a distance shorter and centered and put the same mass further in distance of the rear axle and have option of moving it from center to align with right or left rear tire even though its 11 feet on the front it will physically help both front and rear more because of its mobility to move inline with rear tires and distance from centerline of rear axle.
jpankey View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2013 at 7:52am
ps if you remove the solid steering shaft to schedule 80 1/2 inch black iron that's about a 12 lb reduction . the two rear tubes 15lbs each. 15+15+12=42 lbs your wd front end most likely will have a cast iron rectangle protrusion going back to the radiator if you use a abrasive cut off saw and cut that flush off the rear of pedestal that's 50 lbs of weight removed plus removing the bracket and had crank shaft is a few more pounds. A wd front end complete with no front rims and tires just narrow front end hanging on a scale. the needle will point to 350 lb mark. Its heavy chunk of cast iron
mgburchard View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2013 at 8:02am
you can also remove the large cranking battery and carry it in the pits in a wagon with booster cables and run the ignition of a motorcycle battery . Its quiet common here in Charleston at Tuesday night boat drags where weight also matters.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2013 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by mgburchard mgburchard wrote:

you can also remove the large cranking battery and carry it in the pits in a wagon with booster cables and run the ignition of a motorcycle battery . Its quiet common here in Charleston at Tuesday night boat drags where weight also matters.

or you could relocate the battery to the front of the tractor with some longer cables, to give you more front end weight.
cotncrzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotncrzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2013 at 8:25am
   WF owner,
Already have, but thanks for the idea.
cotncrzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotncrzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2013 at 8:32am
J,
  I am doing the stering rod, I am not taking any weight off the front, I need all I can get, I understand a little weight 11 front of the axle multiplies it but I am trying to concentrate on  the rear. I have a lighter front bracket I could use but I will have to have more weight hanging on it so whats the use? The way I understand it there war three front pedistals used on WD and WD45's. I have the middle one, there is one heavier and one lighter. I am about to the point to where I am going to say goodbye the the 3500, and add HP and move on up! I have had tons of fun in the light class, there are several of us taking heavy tractors and lightning them up. We compete more on the scales than we do on the track!!!! LOL!!!!
cotncrzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotncrzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2013 at 8:45am
cotncrzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotncrzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2013 at 8:47am
  This is the most recent pic, there is a seat modification, and several other things. Also my jockey driver I have been training, she is doing rather well !
jpankey View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2013 at 3:02pm
looks like its at the end of track and out of power there when they loose speed from not having the power to maintain speed they all no matter what brand raise the front end . those tractors can get to 2950 lbs no driver. if I was going to change the steering shaft for 12 lbs I would remove the two rear tubes for 30 lbs and a total of 42 lbs removed but that's just me. I should be at east tn pull in nov. awaiting tony, stealth carbs to get my carb done for the A to pull king of the hill class. may see you there. if you go to tunica see if you can look up kent dakin he has one of the light front ends from a massey Ml gave him that tip a few years ago. the easiest way to know if you have the heaviest allis pedestal is when looking down between radiator grill and pedestal if you see daylight. the heavy one protrudes back in under grill . the massey is 100lbs or lighter than the lightest allis pedestal. when you go to Mls for power you loose quiet bit of weight in the block to gain clearance as well.

Edited by jpankey - 06 Oct 2013 at 3:16pm
O.P.S. Heads View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2013 at 8:30pm
Man you can tell a lot from a still photo. How do you do it?? I thought they all raised the front wheels a little at the end of the run if they were balanced right. You are one exceptionally observant and smart guy.
cotncrzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotncrzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 6:24am
J,
No it wasn't a lack of power, it was all kinda funny. Most of the tractors had stopped around 225', she passed the flagman and had done made a 320" pull and was still going. The sled opperator had began to blow the horn. I had always stressed to her to watch the flagman, when he got there he still was holding the green one so she was still going. We finally got her stopped in the gravel! Priceless!
cotncrzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotncrzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 6:27am
We wont be at White Pine if thats the one you are refering to, we have done a few mods and are pulling here local to test and tune before Tunica.
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 7:24am
Originally posted by O.P.S. Heads O.P.S. Heads wrote:

Man you can tell a lot from a still photo. How do you do it??  

Legend  in his own mind Wink
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 7:58am
Well I can tell a lot from a still photo.  I'd have to say congrats to the young lady for doing a fine job, the front is in the air and she's still on the throttle, and by the looks of the road (perpindicular to the track) one could make the assumption that she's at the end of the track as the front of the tractor is near the road....get it straight there boys, rear of sled by road= starting line.

You pankey boys need to brighten up a little bit (ok more than a "little").  What did your father have against a proper education anyways.  It seams J and ML are "one in the same". 

Now lets amp up the drama a little more.  She's about 100' in front of the competition.  I know some of the naysayers posted above are used to being 100' behind the leaders.....it's been proven on here beforeShocked

Now onto the original question.  The best way to loose weight is to find a light driver!  But you've already done that.  The next best way is to buy a nice set of shiney rims for the back.  We've seen pictures of various hack jobs that look terrable and don't save much weight.  More of an embarasement than anything.  Just loose a load of corn from those record yeilds you're haveing and tell the wife you simply re painted your rims.  If she's like my wife she'll just smile and knod.... I still don't know if she really knows the difference on this stuff or just doesn't want to acknoweldge.

Edited by wi50 - 07 Oct 2013 at 1:11pm
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
Glockhead SWMI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glockhead SWMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 10:38am
Pretty light frontend on this one.

cotncrzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotncrzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2013 at 6:24am
Wi 50,

I have lost all the corn she will let me loose this year! I cleaned the air filter good so maybe now it can breathe,LOL. I think we might just step up a class or two until I can get those shiney rims. We may look into fabricating a wide front this winter. Thanks for all the responses.
mattb View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 10:25am
throw away your hand clutch housing theres about 100 there use sealed bearings and silicone around them to keep the oil in and put a shiny piece of sheetmetal over top of the frame.
WildBill View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 4:00pm
OK  i wanna see some pics what mattb has announced .  just started  taking the hand clutch out and coupling it. Maybe I need to go another step ? be super to see this !
Allis fan for life !   B,C,2-WC'S,WD45G,D19G,190xt ,LLSS 8010, terra tiger refurbished
mattb View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2013 at 8:07am
One tractor I just made a plate to bolt to bellhousing and one for front of trans then made a pipe to weld between them so I didn't have to worry about losing oil. U have to make a bracket to hold your brake shaft.
WildBill View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2013 at 8:27am
gotcha !  Making the the spacer box is kinda cool . i was looking one day and thought a person could have a profab or scs aluminum trans/gear box machined up and eliminate all the other crap. then you could have your gears cut to change out easily for dialing in the speed and hp curve. idk but good idea Matt. heck im this far whats a few more modifications Big smile
Allis fan for life !   B,C,2-WC'S,WD45G,D19G,190xt ,LLSS 8010, terra tiger refurbished
mattb View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2013 at 12:13pm
Or bolt a wc trans to your bellhousing it will fit then u don't have to run a diesel rearend. run the front trans in 3rd
WildBill View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2013 at 3:30pm

okey dokey cotn's topic is loosing weight Big smile  i heard of that but like the idea of dumping the section out and building an aluminum adapter. think rules state no aluminum rails but nothing on trans area . I think ?? i actually converted all my weight brackets now to aluminum . also can cut the front bolster apart then make a cage to put steering gear back into ,reinstall back in where bolster was then just run the gear dry. huge savings on weight but holy smokes its light up front.  you can ride a wheelie in the yard with no weight and burping throttle..Clap guess it comes down to local club rules .. we can run aluminum rails also but no good for natpa events. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic