This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Combine engine in a WD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowman68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Combine engine in a WD
    Posted: 29 Sep 2013 at 6:48am
I bought a WD to make a pulling tractor for my dad , the man I got it from said it had the combine engine in it which should have plenty of power. We only pulled it 2 times it runs out of power. I'm not sure if it has the combine engine. How can I tell the difference between the standard WD engine and the combine engine ?
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2013 at 7:17am
Pictures of both sides of the engine would be nice.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2013 at 7:43am
Look for numbers and letters stamped on the left rear ENGINE flange or on a pad on the side of the block below the air cleaner and report back.

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 29 Sep 2013 at 7:44am
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Cowman68 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowman68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2013 at 7:51am
I am not having any luck posting pictures and I have not found any numbers stamped on the block.
Cowman68 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowman68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2013 at 9:53am
[Font]WD engine
cotncrzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotncrzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 7:45am
  Thick head, External oil lines, oil filter. The actual front cover may have came off a WD, alot of the time the front cover is swapped. Again, the S/N should be between the carb and the rear of the engine.  
C, WD45,WD puller, 185, 200, 7060 Red Belly, 7060 Black Belly,8010, and a R52 Gleaner, AND PROUD OF THEM!
Cowman68 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowman68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 9:20am
It does have external oil lines and an oil filter. I will assume its a combine engine. It runs great and turns a lot of rpm's, and seems to have power. We pulled Saturday in 5000lb class and it ran out of power. I also pulled my d-17 In 5000lb and it had way more power. Just checking to see if anyone has any ideas for mor power .
cotncrzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotncrzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2013 at 7:10am
With stock tires, that engine should do well at 5000#. I ran one last year with 16.9x26 tires and could spin out hard in the 5000. Don't overlook the obvious, carb, ign. timing, valve clearance etc... When I say external oil lines I mean two running from spin on filter with female threads, (the WD and WD45 have male threads) horizontaly to around the dip stick, around 5/16 in size. I am not refering to the 1/8 line going to the head and governor box. I just bought another "combine" engine, I got to go pick it up this week. I will post some pics of the differences. 
C, WD45,WD puller, 185, 200, 7060 Red Belly, 7060 Black Belly,8010, and a R52 Gleaner, AND PROUD OF THEM!
Cowman68 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowman68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2013 at 5:38pm
Thanks for the help. I had high expectations from this tractor. I'll keep working on it .
cotncrzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotncrzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2013 at 6:08am
  My first combine engine was a running engine when purchased. It was very dissapointing, we checked the compression on it after a couple of pulls, it was way down. Those engines were operated in the harshes conditions there could be, with all the dust and they wide open all the time. I have a pullin' buddy that took a fresh WD45 engine out to replace with a running combine engine with the "Z" code and it hurt his HP. Again, it needed rebuilding. I am not positive but I think it should be around 100 to 115 psi cranking compression.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2013 at 6:26am
Depending on which Gleaner "E" engine you have ( compression code Z or V or M) it will be 140 psi up to 180 psi.   ...110 to 120 psi is  WD45 compression.
Cowman68 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowman68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2013 at 6:34am
Thanks for the info. I will check the compression on it this weekend and report back. I thought the engine was really good , because there was absolutely no smoke .
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2013 at 12:27pm
All spark plugs removed.....throttle wide open.........battery charger on the battery to keep cranking speed consistent.
AC Billy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Billy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2013 at 8:36pm
Doesn't the combine engine have a
fuel pump boss?
Glockhead SWMI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glockhead SWMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2013 at 8:25am
Yes it does. You have to make a block off plate. I have a post in the farm section with pics of all the differences. 
Cowman68 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowman68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2013 at 4:45pm
Thanks for all the responses to my question. I have had a chance to check the compression on my tractor and it is about 65 lbs. my gage might not be up to par so I checked the compression on my d-17 and its about 125 lbs. Also the head thickness is the same as my d-17 . Is it a worn out combine engine ?
XT in pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XT in pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2013 at 7:55pm
It sounds like it. Was they all close to the same ?
190XT,D17and 7045
Cowman68 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowman68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2013 at 7:59pm
The compression on al 4 cylinders were just about 65 lbs. but the engine runs with no smoke at all .
XT in pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XT in pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2013 at 8:44pm
I would think with it that low it should smoke. Did you ever try it at dark with a flash light aimed at exhaust ? I'd still say it needs a rebuild. If it's a puller maybe look into something a lil bigger. It don't cost a lot more than a stock build. Just a thought tho. Shawn.
190XT,D17and 7045
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 6:08am
Sounds to me like someone ran a compression test with the throttle at an idle!!!!!!!! Throttle has to be wide open for a good compression test.
Cowman68 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowman68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 10:35am
Yes, you are correct. I forgot to open up the throttle when I checked the compression. I'll check it again and report back. Thanks for the reminder.
Cowman68 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowman68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2013 at 5:44pm
I have rechecked the compression on the WD with the throttle wide opened and it is still reading about 65 lbs on each cylinder.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic