This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD rods

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Other Orange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD rods
    Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 9:22am
Looking to stroke a WD. Id like to be around 5.8-6in. any suggestions on what rod to use? I can also make rods if I have to but mill time is tight right now plus 4150 is expensive at the moment.
Sponsored Links

wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 2:09pm

The Buda rods are a little on the weak side for that kind of stroke and they are to short for that stroke, they get kinked around to much.  These rods have a straight cap and use a 2" diameter crankpin.  With the straight cap, clearance isn't the best, you'll run out of room.  They are 7.375" center to center.

Cockshutt, Herculees used a verry similar rod, a bit heavier and just a bit over 8" long.  I do not rember if they were 8.0625 or 8.125 long.  Either way though the bottom end is almost identical to the Buda rod.

I know some useing a Chrystler flathead rod.  I don't know but I'm guessing same clearance issues for that much stroke.  John Deere Dubuque series engines use a nice strong rod, but it's a little to bulky to fit much over a 5.5" stroke. 

A Farmall H or 350 rod is nice, but the crankpin diameter is larger.  I've used them out to 5.75" stroke but it's a lot of work to make them fit and clear out there.  8.000" length.  One time I rember a fella telling me he built a 6" stroke engine with them in but would never do it again, lots of clearanceing work and sacrafice the strength to get them to clear out that far.

I've shortened and lengthened rods in the past by makeing a slug, tig welding it in the wrist pin bore and offset boreing a hole to the desired length. 

If mill time is tight, just spend a few hours clearanceing a set of rods, a few more hours clearanceing the block, a few more hours figureing out where it's still hitting and more clearanceing..... then have some parts that you wonder if they are going to hold when done.  That mill will soon have time to make a set of rods.

Your best bet is a billet rod, I have a local CNC shop make them for me, I start with 1" thick X 3" wide material cut with the grain structure running length ways.  I don't use 4150 but I use a different material to start with.  With the rod profile they clear at 6" stroke with no block clearanceing work, there's still about .080" room where the cap passes by the oil pan rails.  I do have to turn the camshaft down between the lobes slightly, the cams are large to start with, and the rod will turn past but touch the cam, if I rotated the cap another 2 or 2.5 degrees or so they would clear with no cam clearanceing at all.  I just use a 2" crankpin small block Chevy rod bearing.  Clevite 745HN I think is the number, a hard or H series bearing.

I do have a sample rod made from mild steel that I could send you for a pattern, the cap on the sample rod is rotated 2.5 degrees from what I settled on for a final cap angle, but it's an easy change to make if you choose to make your own.  I've got a set ready to go that are 8.000" center to center length also.

Edited by wi50 - 25 Sep 2013 at 2:23pm
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
The Other Orange View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Other Orange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 3:29pm
Well sounds like I'm better off making rods. I have a hercules rod drawn up that is 2.100dia by 8.725cc caps are 45* id say that same rod might work. Thank you for the info WI50.
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2013 at 10:41am

For best clearance you will want the cap rotated to the 25 degree area, I just can't rember if I have mine cut at 25 or 27.5 degrees.  I'd have to take a protractor and measure but I think it's 25 degrees and my sample rod was at 27.5.  I also don't rember for sure but I think the Murphys rods are 22.5 or 25 degree cap angle, they will actually clear slightly better (22.5 degree cap I'm almost sure of).  I just don't want to tip the cap any more than necessary to clear.  If you're going to go more than 6" stroke then tip the caps in a little closer than 25 degrees.   

I just use 180,000 PSI,  5/16 X 24 TPI socket headed cap screws for rod bolts. 

I know some people use 4140 and heat treat when done, some use 4340 pre hardened material and no heat treat needed, a little more machine time but verry stable to work with.  I start with 1" thick X 3" wide material and the rods finish out .960 wide, this gives a narrow crankpin which should in theory be a little stronger than a wide one.  It also leaves room for a large radius crankpin.

Hope this helps.

Edited by wi50 - 27 Sep 2013 at 10:43am
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic