This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

185 inj. pump tweaking questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studer automotive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 185 inj. pump tweaking questions
    Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 6:03am
inj. pump gurus, where are the adjustments on the pump? I know there is a little "window" on the side of the pump with a small cover with 2 screws holding it on. is that the main fuel screw? is there any other tuneable fuel adjustments? does it take an allan head to adjust? if so what size? is there a general rule of thumb turning the fuel up as far as how much? any tips will be greatly appreciated. pulling a stock 185 on a 8,000 "out of field class" just makin sure I don't embarrass myself to much. LOL thanks, pete
Sponsored Links

XT in pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XT in pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 6:18am
That lil window is for timing the pump and to drain the fuel out of pump. The big cap on top is where the fuel screw is. It's a lil more complicated than you think. Sometimes it's hard to find. I think it's 9/32 or 7/64 maybe or close to them. You have to turn the engine over so it's up on top and I had to take spring out of governor cause it was in the way. How much is to much. I don't kno dads 180 is up all the way from when I used to pull it and it dynos 93 with no turbo. It never gets worked anymore though. Just light stuff. Someone else will be able to tell you how much. Shawn.
190XT,D17and 7045
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 7:23am
Originally posted by XT in pa XT in pa wrote:

That lil window is for timing the pump and to drain the fuel out of pump. The big cap on top is where the fuel screw is. It's a lil more complicated than you think. Sometimes it's hard to find. I think it's 9/32 or 7/64 maybe or close to them. You have to turn the engine over so it's up on top and I had to take spring out of governor cause it was in the way. How much is to much. I don't kno dads 180 is up all the way from when I used to pull it and it dynos 93 with no turbo. It never gets worked anymore though. Just light stuff. Someone else will be able to tell you how much. Shawn.

The leaf spring screw is 5/32. You can bottom it out without hurting anything because it's likely still a -0 spring which is the shortest one. It's the same principal as the old 6.9/7.3 through the side cover, but these have to be accessed from the top. You'll see a hole in the cam ring below the governor spring, turn the engine till you see the screw, and then carefully tighten it up. Just dont go crazy tight and break the allen driver. Good luck!
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
studer automotive View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studer automotive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 4:14am
basically your saying top max out the pump? we use it to farm with is that a good idea to max it out, or will I need to put it back to stick once I'm done pulling?
a-c 185-d y/r cab turbo soon
99 f-250 7.3 4x4
86 mustang5.0 owned since 8/93              
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 8:20am
Originally posted by studer automotive studer automotive wrote:

basically your saying top max out the pump? we use it to farm with is that a good idea to max it out, or will I need to put it back to stick once I'm done pulling?

with that pump having the smallest leaf spring, you will only gain a small amount, but noticeable. Then use the external adjustment(torque screw) to set where you want it to farm with it.
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic