This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

185 For Farming and Pulling

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC,Ont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 185 For Farming and Pulling
    Posted: 05 Sep 2013 at 10:09pm
Can anyone tell me how light I can get a 185 for pulling. I will still want to use it for farming. I want to go to 18.4x38 on the rear, likely on pressed wheels. Did any combines come with 38" wheels on them. I would like to put a narrow front under it also when funds permit.
35WC on steel, B with belly mower, D17 puller, D15 Series II puller, D15 Series II with loader, 608 Lawn Tractor
Sponsored Links

O.P.S. Heads View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2013 at 10:12pm
6500 lbs. should be pullable and farmable too.
BrianC,Ont View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC,Ont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2013 at 10:16pm
How much safe hp out of a 301 with the pump turned up.
35WC on steel, B with belly mower, D17 puller, D15 Series II puller, D15 Series II with loader, 608 Lawn Tractor
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2013 at 10:21pm
Well turned up is a loosely used term. If you had the stock pump maxed out with injectors and a turbo to match I would guess 250 - 275 HP. Go to a bigger pump and get more.
Glockhead SWMI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glockhead SWMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2013 at 8:26am
The question here is SAFE power levels of a farmable 301... I would think that has a lot to do with the general condition of the engine. Also, how would the rest of the driveline hold up with the power increased?
Dipstick In View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dipstick In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2013 at 11:19am
My buddy(since deceased) ran his 7000 at 163 hp(on the dyno). The motor held up great, but he ate the transmixer devices several times. Powershift, main box and rear end couldn't hold the horses! But he had time to farm,drive school bus, drink coffee at the restraunt, go to his Masonic meetings, etc. 
You don't really have to be smart if you know who is!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2013 at 12:40pm
Your best bet would be to have a separate set of injectors and pump to use for pulling and have the farm injectors and pump to use for farming. Doesn't take long to change them between seasons. By the way, if you are pulling anything other than a farm stock class you better put some serious thought into the proper safety equipment. If you are running more RPM than what the flywheel was designed to withstand then you should change it. The PD clutch is also made of cast iron which has the potential to explode if over sped. Be smart and good luck.

Don't worry about hurting the driveline IN A PULLING APPLICATION @ 6500 lbs. until you get over 400 or so HP. The PD clutch won't handle a whole lot more than that.

Edited by O.P.S. Heads - 06 Sep 2013 at 12:43pm
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2013 at 5:46am
I used to run a 185 with 18.4 x 30 (no calcium) and all factory equipment. It weighed just about 6500.
Our club does not allow a turbocharger in farm stock class unless the tractor came with one from the factory, which severely limits horsepower on the 180 or 185.
We now have a (pretty big) guy pulling a 200 in the 6500 & 8000 farm stock. The tractor is pretty stripped down and (IMHO) would never be "farmable" the way it pulls.
KEVIN D QUE View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KEVIN D QUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 12:35pm
Hi I am the BIG GUY on the 200. Our club does allow turbos on all tractors for the last 2 years. The 200 has a stock motor,pump,turbo.The pump is turned up to a150 hp. The club allows 150 hp up to 9500 lbs . It does run good but 7 gear is to tall for 6500 on stone dust tracks.A 7000 FORD beats us on stone dust. It could be turned down to farm with ,but the front axle would not be strong enough . Would like to see a 185 turbo pull us. We need more tractors in the Club.    PS  I,m 215 lbs HAHA.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 8:56pm
Hi Kevin!

Boy, I'm glad I didn't say a REALLY BIG GUY!!!!!

As you know I have been out of it for a few years and I wasn't aware of the rule change. The 185 has been sitting for a few years with a bad transmission, but I will be retiring soon and would like to get it going after I get my WF done.

Who knows? There may be a turbo on it for the 6500 and 8000.
Your 200 and D-31 are both great looking tractors. It's great to see some orange mixed in with all the red, blue and green!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic