This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

pics of d21from min. with detroit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: pics of d21from min. with detroit
    Posted: 18 Aug 2013 at 7:43pm
Sponsored Links

DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2013 at 8:20pm
Wow ingenuity got the hyd pump on there! Nice tractor tho
cornbinder View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cornbinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 3:03am
wow, what more can I say
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 8:18am
Originally posted by 7040 7040 wrote:

IMG_0438.JPGIMG_0435.JPGIMG_0436.JPGIMG_0437.JPG

Well, I'm not sure what engine that is, but I am sure it's not a 6-71, or any 2 cycle Detroit. Thinking it may be a 516 AC/Buda that was supercharged. Just noticed, it is also turbo-charged too. A 2 cycle detroit is not supercharged, the blower simply performs the scavenging/purging. I think I would try keeping that engine in there and restoring that way, if they did a nice job with it at least. That may hold some real historical value!

Edited by injpumpEd - 19 Aug 2013 at 8:20am
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
DarrylinWA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarrylinWA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 8:53pm
They even did that to a series 1 tractor. I saw the hood and the 6 lug front end. What is the serial number on that? I would keep it in there also. Thanks for sharing, Darryl

Edited by DarrylinWA - 19 Aug 2013 at 8:54pm
B 10 Custom. Serial # 1001 D21, First D21 built 69 #4498 and Last D 21 Built #4609. 1946 MM UTU. And 2000, 2005 Pete's. AC custom Hauling.
7040 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 7040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 9:28pm
my dad also believes it to be a series one because of the 6 bolt hubs I will post serialnumber at a later date but neither of us were sure if any series ones were turbocharged we had one that wasn't also I will
look again for any# on motor injpump says Cummings on it alternator bracket says white motor is stuck oilpan is cracked (cast alum)it wont be scraped without being opend up
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by 7040 7040 wrote:

my dad also believes it to be a series one because of the 6 bolt hubs I will post serialnumber at a later date but neither of us were sure if any series ones were turbocharged we had one that wasn't also I will
look again for any# on motor injpump says Cummings on it alternator bracket says white motor is stuck oilpan is cracked (cast alum)it wont be scraped without being opend up

There was some supercharged Cummins engines in those days too. post some close up pics of the other side too. All series I are non turbo originally, series II were all turbo, that is the difference. Lots of the series I were converted to turbo, there was a kit available from AC.
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Dipstick In View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dipstick In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 12:36am
Ed I think that is an old inline two cycle. And I dont see a turbine. The thing on the back of the supercharger is the water pump. There were Detroits made with blowers and turbos, they were the Silver series. They used a blower to charge and scavenge, and a turbo to "pack" the blower. I had a V-6 92 Silver rated at 350 hp, and it pulled more like a four cycle with that set-up, plus it helped the milage. It was in the first series of computers, called D-dact, I think, and were a PIA when the 'puter sensed wierd stuff. It would shut the truck down, or idle it, usually when you needed power. Mine was famous for throwing a low water lite and cutting power when it got a quart or two low on water. Never did find out where the water went.
Prior to this series, with the old "71" series, there were both V-8's and 6's made with blowers and trubos. I think back in the fifties/early sixties. Dont remember the V-8 hp, but I think the six was a 305 hp engine. They didn't make them too long, but I don't know why.
You don't really have to be smart if you know who is!
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 6:03am
detroits dont have injection pumps
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Orange Blood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 7:55am
Well, if I dare chime in on this one.  We have a detroit inline 6 out of a concrete truck, from maybe the 70s sitting at the farm.  While I cannot remember if it is the same as this engine, it looks similar.  I do agree however that it does look like a cummings injection pump on the back of the air compressor.  I will take a look at the Detroit we have on the farm in a couple of months.
Still in use:
HD7 WC C CA WD 2-WD45 WD45LP WD45D D14 3-D17 D17LP 2-D19D D19LP 190XTD 190XTLP 720 D21 220 7020 7030 7040 7045 3-7060
Projects: 3-U UC 2-G 2-B 2-C CA 7-WC RC WDLP WF D14 D21 210 7045 N7
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 8:10am
Originally posted by Dipstick In Dipstick In wrote:

Ed I think that is an old inline two cycle. And I dont see a turbine. The thing on the back of the supercharger is the water pump. There were Detroits made with blowers and turbos, they were the Silver series. They used a blower to charge and scavenge, and a turbo to "pack" the blower. I had a V-6 92 Silver rated at 350 hp, and it pulled more like a four cycle with that set-up, plus it helped the milage. It was in the first series of computers, called D-dact, I think, and were a PIA when the 'puter sensed wierd stuff. It would shut the truck down, or idle it, usually when you needed power. Mine was famous for throwing a low water lite and cutting power when it got a quart or two low on water. Never did find out where the water went.
Prior to this series, with the old "71" series, there were both V-8's and 6's made with blowers and trubos. I think back in the fifties/early sixties. Dont remember the V-8 hp, but I think the six was a 305 hp engine. They didn't make them too long, but I don't know why.
oh, I'm full aware that there were 2 cycle Detroits with turbos as well as the blower. I'm saying that is NOT a detroit. Yes, you are right, after looking more at the pics, the exh pipe is bolted to the exhaust manifold like a turbo, but it's a straight shot up, so I think it's just the pipe. The dead giveaway for me is the intake manifold. The blower bolts right to the center of the block on all the inline 2-cycle jimmy's. That supercharger is an accessory to that engine, not part of it like a jimmy as well. 
Breeze View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 10:27am
http://www.allischalmers.com/forum/uploads/9965/IMG_0438.JPG

http://www.allischalmers.com/forum/uploads/9965/IMG_0435.JPG

http://www.allischalmers.com/forum/uploads/9965/IMG_0436.JPG

http://www.allischalmers.com/forum/uploads/9965/IMG_0437.JPG
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 5:19pm
It is not d-dact,it is ddec. It stands for Detroit Diesel Electronic Control. It sure looks like I supercharged cummins to me. Inline detroits had the blower more tothe center of the block, I don't see the air box covers, and most detroits were rear gear train, meaning the compressor would be on the back of the motor
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
Lee (MN) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee (MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 5:54pm
It's a Cummins, do not recall the model, we had one on the truck side of an American Hoist truck crane at work, mid 60's vintage, never seen another till here.

Lee
B212
Willy's Jeeps
Gleaner K
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 7:03pm
NHS I do believe is the model
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 8:31pm
stole this from the net...

1952 Cummins Op & Maintenance manual (Bulletin No. 63333-B) lists (and provides pics of) the following supercharged engines:

• HS-600: 672ci, 14:1 CR, 200hp @ 1800;
  • HRS-600: 743ci, 13.5:1 CR, 225hp @ 1800;
  • NHS-600: 743ci, 13.5:1 CR, 275hp @ 2100; and
  • NHRS-600: 743ci, 12:1 CR, 300hp @ 2100.
All of the above have geartrain driven superchargers. H denotes 2 valves per cyl., NH 4 (no "B", of course). The supercharger casings are different from the belt driven one ##### posted, for what it's worth. Also - and I'm quite happy to be corrected on this - I think the blocks had high Nickel content on them.
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dipstick In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 10:31pm
Thanks Don and Cal. I haven't been around a two cycle(except for the 6 V-92 in my 87 GMC General) since the late 70- early 80's and that's a long time for my short term memory. I do remember the JT 150 Cummins( I think I'm right) that I had in the Army as generator power with superchargers. But I think they had a "rail" system of sending fuel to the block instead of individual lines. And that was prior to discharge on Feb. 1965.

Edited by Dipstick In - 20 Aug 2013 at 10:34pm
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2013 at 4:29am
How does that fuel system work? The 80,ish old Ford boomtrucks at work have an Ford diesel engine but no visable injection pump and lines?
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2013 at 6:58am
A friend has an old crane, I'm guessing mid 50's to mid 60's vintage. It's got 2 Cummins engines in it and I think I rember seeing the owners manuel when we went to get it. The engine sure looked similar from what I rember. It's been several years but I'll stop in and see if it's still around or if it went for scrap.
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
TramwayGuy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TramwayGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2013 at 2:49pm
Looks to me like a regular Cummins 'PT' [Pressure Time] system. Actually a little similar to newer 'common rail' in newer engines. In the PT system, the rail pressure varied and changed the amount that the injectors put into the cylinders. One injector per cylinder, driven off the camshaft and sits between the valves. Worked pretty well for many years.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dipstick In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2013 at 3:05pm
At the time I had an inline 6-71 Detroit, I had a 220 Cummins with PT injection(I think). There was a supply pump as Tram said, and it contained the govenor and "rack". By opening up the pump, you could place extra shims under a spring, and there was a "button"( it really looked more like a tick thimble) that could be replaced. This supplied extra fuel/and or pressure which increased the horsepower(and smoke factor and fire out of the pipe). I wound up with something like 2400 rpm's and about a foot and a half of flame, but it certainly pulled harder. This was in the days when if you ran over roadkill, or it rained, (seriously, a wet road we considered cost up to 10-15 hp)you had to drop a gear!
On the Detroits, the injectors came in differing calibrations and by changing the settings when adjusting them to the camshaft stroke, they could be made much more responsive and gain some extra power from the factory settings.
The 220, maybe an NTC? designation had three cylinder heads if I remember right, and the picture only has one I think.
Lord, that's a long time ago!!!!!
Orange Blood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2013 at 9:35pm
Dipstick, 

Boy do you bring back the memories.  We had freighshakers with the old 220s in them, and you sure could play with them.  We really thought we had something when stepping up to the 235, I think they were.  Those old engines made a gear shifting fool out of you, these 500HP+ Cats, and 600 HP+ Detroits, they spoil a guy rotten, why I remember dad pulling a Cat 583 pipelayer on tripple tripples weighing in at around 105, to 110 gross pulling hills with a 235 and a 13 speed, don't remember the rear ratio, but that made you sit up and take notice.  Ah those were the days before the EPA, and all the other bull.
Still in use:
HD7 WC C CA WD 2-WD45 WD45LP WD45D D14 3-D17 D17LP 2-D19D D19LP 190XTD 190XTLP 720 D21 220 7020 7030 7040 7045 3-7060
Projects: 3-U UC 2-G 2-B 2-C CA 7-WC RC WDLP WF D14 D21 210 7045 N7
7040 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2013 at 10:25pm
thanks for the info guys i learn something new every day
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dipstick In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2013 at 10:48pm
Lord, Orange, you're right about Memory Lane! I was smokiing a cigarette on the proch and got to thinking bout your reply, and remembering those old trucks and stuff. What I can't figger out is why we remember that stuff so well, and I'll be in the grocery, trying my darnedest to recall if it was milk or bread I was supposed to get. Usually I get both, then some chips and snacks, maybe some candy, for sure things like pork chops, or a good cut of meat or fish. Then when I get home she has such a fit bout "blowing" her food budget(with my money) that I get away with it. Any more I insist on a written list!
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2013 at 11:11pm
The 4265 White Truck I have also came with a 185 Cummings rather than the 6-200A engine i have , then with a 5x4 transmission one never sat long without having one shift lever or the other in ones hand, 
 Driving with a RT 613 or RTO 613 in present dump trucks makes life easier , then when driving the tractors when driving tankers with a C12 or C13 Cat and a RTO 9513 was a full different feel of when I drove the old stub nose 56 GMC with a 6-71 - 238HP and a RT910
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Leesok View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leesok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2013 at 11:22pm
Was wondering when someone would mention a 5x4. Ever drive a Mack with 237 & 5x3?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic