This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HARVEY-V12 GENERATOR

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2019 at 7:33pm
Literature states the genset weight as 13,500 lbs or so. 
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
Sponsored Links

Jim Allen View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2022 at 10:54am
Working on a story on one of these engines for my "Vintage Smoke" Column in Diesel World Magazine. Larry Mayer has #33 and it mounts an actual Allis-Chalmers generator. Larry says not all of them did. I'm getting info from him but since there is never too much information, I'm reaching out here as well. I have PM'ed a couple of guys that posted here but if anyone eesle has some.... Larry got #33 about 8 years back and it's now mounted on a trailer. Like most, it came out of a hospital. He says only 53 V12s were made and he knows of six survivors, including his.

Jim Allen
Keeping the Past Alive
ACjack View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2022 at 12:33pm
To the best of my knowledge all of the V12 gen sets left the Harvey Engine plant with Allis Chalmers generators. Maybe some confusion about the "make" of generator since some of them were made in Appleton Wisconsin and others were made by Lima in Ohio. 
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2022 at 9:05am
I have #43 in my shed. It is not running. Does not have an AC generator. Jack will likely have the most info. I do have specs and brochures. I did set up Larry to get his V-12 out of PA. 
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2022 at 9:36am
Those are impressive ! Guess it was gold color from the factory?
ACjack View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2022 at 10:15am
Calvin; look at the manufacture's name plate on the generator itself. If it doesn't give a manufactures name it will state where it was made. Look for Appleton Wisconsin or Lima Ohio. Those were the only 2 places the generators were sourced from.
 Any idea as to why its not running?
ACjack View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2022 at 10:23am
Originally posted by DougG DougG wrote:

Those are impressive ! Guess it was gold color from the factory?
 Only the very first couple of generator sets were painted yellow and all of the rest were painted the standard copper color that was used on all of the other generator sets with the exception of a few that were painted a light blue and sold to and shipped to Dawson & Keth in England that that were made. 
Jim Allen View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2022 at 11:14am
What is the latest count on survivors... and their serial numbers if possible? Larry said he heard of six. I think we can account for four here on this thread... though I had better go back and check.

I believe  Larry spoke of your generator, Calvin. He didn't mention you by name, just that he knew of one that had a different brand of generator head on it.

I am trying hard to get the production dates lined out. Looks like '72 or '73 but I'd like to know better.

Has a firm production number been established?  52-56 is the range people talk about. Larry says 53 but admits that number came from someone else.

I am researching to see what technical roots there are... i.e. is this two sixes put together? In my info, I don't see any other engines with a 6 x 6-inch bore and stroke... but, admittedly, my info on A-C power unit and generators is lacking. I have Diesel Engine Catalogs from '60 and '65 that include A-C engines but there might have been a 6x6 engine after that.
Jim Allen
Keeping the Past Alive
Jim Allen View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jim Allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2022 at 12:05pm
Here is the tag from the generator on #33
Jim Allen
Keeping the Past Alive
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic