This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

governor spring?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgerth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: governor spring?
    Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 8:15am
Gentlemen,
I am in need of increasing rpm's on a "E" motor from 1500 to 2100 or so. Been told that I need a heavier spring in the governor. Does anyone know where I might source one of these? Also, from what donor machines should one look for for a correct or heavier spring?
currently, I am using the spring from the "E" combine.
tks, in advance,
dg
Sponsored Links

Kip-Utah View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kip-Utah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 9:54am
I can't give you the absolute answer to your question w/o knowing more specifics...Are you using the combine governor set up just like it came with the Gleaner engine? I have a WC with the complete original governor...fly weights, fly weight springs, etc. Using a D17 spring I am right at about 2050 rpms. Just a guess, but if they are still available I'd try a 175 spring. KipWink
HANSEN'S OLD ORANGE IRON. Showing, Pulling, & Going!!
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 7:09pm
I assume you have changed to a tractor govener. The combine govener has basicly on and off. you can go to AGCO andget a spring. if you look it up in agco parts online you'll find that the Governed RPM for each spring is listed.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 8:14pm
One more time.....a 170-175 governor spring will get you approx 1800 RPM using Combine or tractor (WC-WD-WD45-D17) governor weights. A D17 spring will get you 2000-2050 RPM wih the same governor weights. These RPM numbers are with a properly adjusted governor on a stock engine that is in good tune.
bmartin55 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmartin55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 8:37pm
im runing a wd with a e moter...first run this weekend  runs  2450 rpms with wd spring&gleaner govner...   ps..dr ..clutch worked....bob
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 9:30pm
A "WD" spring and combine governor will not run 2450 RPM's if the governor is adjusted properly. Your link rod from the gov arm to carb is too long if it runs that fast.
cotncrzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotncrzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 6:23am
Guys, I may be missing out on something but.... I think the governor is the brain of the tractor. I have tried all sorts of things to try and out smart the governor. The best thing I have ever done is a D17 spring, adjusted it properly. I was checked for RPM's at the last pull, 2044 was the result. I even tried a cable directly to the carb at one pull, I still believe the governor is the way to go, it seems to sence the track, and adjust accordingly to maintain traction...
C, WD45,WD puller, 185, 200, 7060 Red Belly, 7060 Black Belly,8010, and a R52 Gleaner, AND PROUD OF THEM!
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 9:11am
A leroi power unit spring will give you 3000 rpms .wifh either wc or wd mag type gov with ditributor adapter . Need to mill you some billet weights though or you will be changing weights often due to them breaking.
AC200Puller View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC200Puller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 4:27pm
Like the Dr. says properly adjusted! I had a guy with an engine running wild and thought he really had something but as soon as he put a load on it she would die right down because linkages were not adjusted, he just thought by bending acouple of the rods he was getting the same affect.
nborga87 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nborga87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2013 at 1:35am
what is the proper way to adjust the governor on these engines? i want to set mine up for 20 percent over stock. what is the best way to go about this? this is on a wd45. thanks, nick
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2013 at 6:29am
Proper adjustment is :   with engine off, and hand throttle wide open, disconnect the carb link rod from the vertical governor arm (behind the generator) to compare the length of the link rod in relation to the hole in the vertical governor arm. Ideally, the link rod should just slide back into the hole WITHOUT MOVING THE VERTICAL ARM. This is with the link rod shoved backwards as far open as possible on the carburator. The link rod (or vertical arm) has to be bent to change the link rod length, as A-C never provided adjustable governor linkage. This link rod can also be 1/16" too short for even better governor action and no decrease in HP. For 20% over, use a D17 governor spring/plunger and to fine tune, use the stop bolt on top of the governor cover after installing the new spring. New D17 governor spring is 70229519 available from AGCO only.
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2013 at 7:53am

Am I correct Dr. in thinking that the combine governer is "more sensative" or offers less droop than the tractor governers?  So a combine governer would be prefered if available.

Around here we don't have much for RPM rules, keep a muffler on it and keep it under 3000 RPM in the stock class and no one will raise an eyebrow.  I used a combine governer and a stock spring.  I machined the weights off to lighten them, with less weight and the softer spring I was able to get a fairley high RPM with less stress on the governer components.  I have a verry sensative Denver Instrumnets digital scale that I balanced the weights on. 

"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2013 at 12:43pm
Correct. The Gleaner "E" governor weight has a different ramp on the fulcrum making it quicker and has a 100-150 RPM droop. Tractor weights are identical except for the ramp and have a droop of about 300 RPM. Models 170-175 have a lighter weight and another style ramp and a droop of 200 RPM.    170-175 weights with a D17 spring will run 2200-2250 RPM high idle.
BennyLumpkin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BennyLumpkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2013 at 8:50am
Thanks Doc....had a chance t check the WC last night and found my gov rod about 1/4 inch long so it wasn't opening the whole way....much better.
Central PA Allis Express
1934 WC254
1945 WF
1945 WC135755
1951 WD68085
1953 WD45-150217
1957 WD45D-230744D
B110
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic