This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D17d Air Cleaner Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D17d (GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D17d Air Cleaner Question
    Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 11:31am
Hello,

I have a 59 Series I D17 diesel. I was reading through Norm Swinford's book and saw the oil bath air cleaner was replaced with a dry type on the 226 gas model Series III around 62.

My question: did the 262 diesel get this replacement too? If they did, I would like to go with the dry type if anyone has parts they want to sell.

Thanks everyone!

Richard
Sponsored Links

D-17_Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-17_Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 12:21pm
The 262 diesels went to a dry type air filter on the series IV. You will have to find someone parting one out to get everything.

You could source a dry type Donalson filter assembly and plumb it in yourself for fairly little I would think.
Creek Jenkins View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Creek Jenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 12:48pm
I was wondering how hard it would be to convert the oil bath on my Series I to a dry type.  Seems like the dry type would be more effective at cleaning the air.  If a guy could find the right size filter, you could maybe put it in the existing housing.  Even better, a K&N type.  I went to the K&N website and they have a dimension checking program - I found a 3.5" dia . 6" high round that I think would go in the existing oil bath so it would still look stock...........hmmmmm.  Gotta go home and take some measurements.
cheers,
Creek
D17d (GA) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D17d (GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 1:05pm
Thanks guys!
Matt MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 1:20pm
I still believe that an oil bath air cleaner cleans the air better than a dry filter type. Just my opinion.
Unless your are the lead horse the scenery never changes!!
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 1:57pm
I'm restoring a 1959 black bar D-17 diesel grove tractor. Someone had converted it to the dry air cleaner but I've converted it bact to oil bath. I guess I want it correct.
Zyta View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zyta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 2:04pm
Hi Calvin, as you know I converted my WD-45 with the 262 gas in it over to a dry system, the conversion was quite easy to do. Looks great to!

Jim
Gary(OR) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary(OR) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by D-17_Dave D-17_Dave wrote:

The 262 diesels went to a dry type air filter on the series IV. You will have to find someone parting one out to get everything.

You could source a dry type Donalson filter assembly and plumb it in yourself for fairly little I would think.
The change from oil bath to dry started with Series III, gas or diesel. The pic above is a '63 series III.

Edited by Gary(OR) - 20 Jan 2010 at 4:42pm
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 10:47pm
Extremely nice unit there Gary!
D-17_Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-17_Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 11:22pm
Nice job on a beautiful 262 engine Gary. Thanks for the correction on the series. All  my stuff is older than that so I guess I'm stuck in the stone age.

If I have the chance and get to it I'll swap out mine to a dry type air cleaner. It gives a MUCH better purification than oil bath filters.
Gary(OR) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary(OR) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 2:09am
Thanks guys, "over restored" would probably be a good description...oh well, I like it. Like the way these engines perform too ! Yeah Dave, think we can all relate to the stone age, this is the newest tractor I've ever owned....Calvin, got any pics of the Grove ? That's the one out of California, right ?  

Since the new forum is so user friendly for postin' pics, here's another from the opposite side which may be of some help to Richard. Only slight problem I can think of for makin the conversion is you'd probably have to remove the hood center section to drill holes for sheetmetal screws, whereas original equipped had slots stamped for clips that were easily renewed if the screw was overtightened

Sorry about the eyesore alternator but it sure does work good :).  

Edited by Gary(OR) - 21 Jan 2010 at 3:21am
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 6:05am
Originally posted by Matt MN Matt MN wrote:

I still believe that an oil bath air cleaner cleans the air better than a dry filter type. Just my opinion.
Actually, test prove they do. Maintenance is a big issue with oil bath, messy and time consuming. A dry type filter cleans its best just before it is plugged.
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
D17d (GA) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D17d (GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 8:52am
Gary, WOW, that's so clean you could perform surgery on it. Nice work, looks amazing!
Thanks for the photos, it's a big help for me to see how everything goes together.

Can I ask, if you did, where you got a reproduction or restored tach/proofmeter? I accidentally bought the gas version and of course it spins the wrong way for the diesel.

If anyone has any part of the assembly (would really like the filter canister) they want to sell, just let me know- I'd be happy to take it off your hands. I can handle the plumbing but would like an original filter canister.

Thanks guys!

Richard
Gary(OR) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary(OR) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 5:33pm
Well, I lucked out on the hour meter, shows around 3700, works and looks fine still. Sold one off my parts tractor for $35 before I knew what they're really worth. I'd think one of the vendors on the site here could get one ? I'd suggest posting a knew thread (topic)....think you'd get a better response.....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic