This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will wd-45 intake manafold fit on wd engine?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will wd-45 intake manafold fit on wd engine?
    Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 9:42am
Need to know if 45 intake and exhast manifold will work on wd engine. Thank you. Don in Indiana
Sponsored Links

Gary in da UP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary in da UP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 10:14am
Yup
I started out years ago with nothing.... after this divorce , I'll be getting most of it back.........
omahagreg View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omahagreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 10:23am
Yup, we have that on our WD!  Carb is quite abit larger.  Dad says Grandpa and he were under the impression they could get more HP out of the WD that way.  BUT, now, we only use it hard in the winter, and it runs VERY poorly-have to choke it EXACTLY or it won't even run.  We would like to put the WD stuff back on, but would have to buy it all-not cheap!  If you order a new one, they list them as the same, but new, that was not the case. 
Greg Kroeker
1950 WD with wide front and Freeman trip loader
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 10:30am
Greg, I would think, if the carb is working right, you should be able to adjust it so it runs good. It sounds like you might have a leak in your intake somewhere.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
omahagreg View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omahagreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 10:47am
It runs perfect above 30 degrees-just ran it that way last week.  Dad is a mechanic, and says it is just getting too much fuel-needs the smaller carb. 
Greg Kroeker
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 10:54am
If it's getting too much fuel, you should not have to choke it. Choking it restricts air and enriches the mixture.
omahagreg View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omahagreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 11:04am
It requires about 3/4 choke, and you don't dare move it a milimeter when it is 0 degrees.  It will run, but you move the clutch and it will die-until you have it dialed in.  Then it will run reasonably.  The carb frosts over quite badly too.  Dad says it never worked that way with the right carb on it.  So, I will take his word for it, as he worked on them at an AC dealer, and he has a history with this tractor. 
Greg Kroeker
Goose View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 11:14am

Greg, I have a WD45 carb and air cleaner on my 53 WD. It runs great. No problem here.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 11:59am
My 1954 WD45 will frost the carb throat too if you run it over an idle before it gets warmed up. I put a piece of tin from the hood to the frame rail during winter so it will not cause problems, it keeps heat from the manifold next to the carb. There is still no reason why your WD should run bad with a properly adjusted WD45  carb.
Bob P.(IL) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob P.(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 2:09pm
I have a 1950 WD and a 1951 WD with WD45 manifolds and one has a WD45 carburetor and they both run great.
ALinIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALinIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 2:37pm
Greg - I have to agree.  A 45 or a 17 manifold will work on a WD.  If you need to choke it, you need a richer mixture.  If you have leaking manifold gaskets, That would explain having to choke.  This would explain it running fine above 30 degrees.  The metal/gasket expansion maybe enough to seal the manifold gaskets. - AL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic