This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

While were on the subject, D-15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-17_Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: While were on the subject, D-15
    Posted: 18 Jan 2010 at 6:11pm
It's been so long since I took my 15 apart would someone remind me what all I need to do to split the tranny from the torque tube.

Is it only opening up the side cover and slide out the PD shaft and yoke before splitting the tractor??
Sponsored Links

Rogers View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2010 at 7:42pm
I have a jpeg of the page in my repair manual where you split the tractor to remove the shuttle clutch. There seems to be a problem with uploading the file tonight, so I will type it out.

Drain oil from clutch and PTO gear compartments. Remove shield at L.H. side of transmission attached to foot platform, Remove both foot platforms. Disconnect both brake rods. Push down on lift arms and remove oil tubes from transport valve and torque housing.

Remove pin attaching SNAP COUPLER bell to bottom of transmission housing. Remove SNAP COUPLER release lever. Remove dog point set-screw from clutch lever, and remove lever and washers from shaft. Remove cover plate from side of housing. Remove snap ring and washer from end of clutch shaft. Push shaft through housing to L.H. side and remove the "O" ring seal. Push shaft to R.H. side until the Hi-Pro keys retaining shifter fork to shaft can be removed. When first key is removed, slide shaft further through shift fork and remove the second key. Remove shaft and shift fork from housing.

Remove the oil level gauge and breather assembly from top of torque housing. Support tractor securely using blocks or hoists so that tractor may be separated. Remove capscrews attaching transmission to torque housing, and separate tractor.........

Whew!!! That should do it. Sounds like the fun is about to start.

Think for yourself and be your own expert. Be willing to change your mind; however, willingness to change your mind doesn’t mean that you will. Blindly following any path is the pinnacle of insanity.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2010 at 8:02pm
I'm getting an error message on the farm equipment page.  Construction page opens properly.  Any one else having problems?
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2010 at 8:15pm
Farm Equiptment page is having issues.Could only reply to this post.Can't see the entire page.I am sure it will be fixed soon enough.
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
D-17_Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-17_Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2010 at 8:32pm
Thanks Rogers. I was hoping that was about all it was still. Looks like I'll be taking 2 and making 1 before it's all over.
D-17_Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-17_Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 8:37pm
Well, I got it all apart today, thanks everyone for the help. I was surprised at how well  it all came apart.

Engine was full of water but the pump, shuttle, and rear end all had clean oil in them.

I really needed the tranny for the standard 3rd gear issue and the tranny is in real good shape. Problem is the parts tractor was a loader tractor and the ring gear and pinion are real rough. Looks like I'm going to have to swap out the gears into my housing. At least I have the parts to fix mine now.
D-17_Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-17_Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 11:06pm

Here's an update on my tranny problems.

After pulling both pinion shafts out I see where all the slack in my orriginal gears came from. I had around 3/16" play on my 3rd gear movement over the top of the bushing. It seems that the first gear gaulded on the bushing and locked enough to shear the small locater pin, then spinning the bushing on the pinion shaft until it gaulded so bad that the gear broke free of the bushing. This lead to the bushings and drive spacer spinning and wearing the shim washer between 4th and 3rd gear bushings. All this combined to reduce the clamping effect of the capping nut that locks these bushings tight on the shaft.
I hope I made some sence. Anyway, I pulled out the replacement shaft and it hasn't sheared the pin off of the 1st gear bushing but it has gaulded the bushing and the gear. 
Now comes my question, others who have repaired the 14/15 trannies, have you ran into the same problems? I can't be the only one to run across this problem.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic