This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

wd 45 valve and spring help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nborga87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wd 45 valve and spring help
    Posted: 30 Mar 2013 at 2:48am
hey everyone im gettin ready to put together a 260 ci engine for my wd 45. i was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what valves and springs to run. what do you guys generally use? thanks in advance, Nick
Sponsored Links

wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2013 at 6:58am
On these smaller engines you don't want to large of a valve, the air speed will just be to slow when the valve gets to big. Just maximize your throat areas to valves, blend the bowls, knock the corners off in the ports and give it a 3 angle valve job. I'd just work over the stock valves if they are useable.   Or buy some from the John Deere 202-219 diesel engines. The John Deere valves are the right length and stem diameter, the heads are just slightly bigger.

Allis is 1.68 intake and the JD is 1.72 if I rember correctly.

The jd springs will work fine or your stock ones will work just fine up to about 3000 rpm.

I do have a bunch of parts on hand if you want to cut down some nice small stem automotive valves and use small diameter retainers and springs..... but for what you're doing it's a waste of time.
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2013 at 8:40am
920 comp valve springs and manely intake valves part number 11302-1 for individuals or -8 for 8 of them
nborga87 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nborga87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2013 at 1:05pm
 are you guys saying to put the same size valve on intake and exhaust?
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2013 at 2:11pm
Most of the heads I do for these have a 1.7 to 1.9" intake valve and 1.55 to 1.625" exhaust valve. It all depends on what the head is for, carb used, rules, etc.

Bigger valves aren't better, expecially on a low speed engine.  It's a quick way to to drop the velocity, lose any ram effect and give up a lot of lugging ability.

Sometimes I use Chevy valves and cut them down, sometimes Ford, sometimes the JD.  The later series JD metric engines use a .308" diameter valve stem..... if you feel the need to listen to a lot of BS, feel special, etc....

"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2013 at 6:46pm
No use the sbc 1.6 cut down in the exhaust. Exhaust flows to good at 90 percent with a 1.6 sbc5/16 stems are the cats meow.over 11/32 and definately over stock 3/8.

Edited by mlpankey - 30 Mar 2013 at 6:50pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic