This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need any help on A-C Dozer information I can get!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need any help on A-C Dozer information I can get!
    Posted: 18 Jan 2010 at 2:35pm
Hi,
I'm the General manager of a very old Public Utility District (Water Co.) here and we have a A-C dozer here that I need to register with the Air Quality Control District, as part of their new regulations.
My problem is I have very little information on the dozer we have in the yard. I need as much info. as I can come up with please? All I have is that it is a H.D. 5 Allis Chalmers Tractor-Bulldozer, The index card I have on it says it is a 1958, although it appears much older. The I.D. # is HD5B5006.
It has a 2 cylinder GM engine that was rebuilt not very many hours ago from what I'm told. I need to know how many horsepower the engine is, and where the engines ID# would be for my report to the AQCD.
I would really appreciate any information anyone can come up with, or any leads to where I might try to search more.

Thanks, Greg.

Sponsored Links

gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2010 at 3:04pm

The hd5 has a DETROIT 271 motor 68 hp and I dismantled some off these
 with no ID.on but some 271 power unit had one on side valve cover.
OrangeKiwi(NZ) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OrangeKiwi(NZ) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2010 at 3:46pm
Serial no HD5B5006 would make it a 1949 crawler.
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2010 at 6:16pm
just give the dozer to me, and you won't have to worry about registering it!!! LOL
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2010 at 9:48pm
the 271 means 2-71... 2 cylinder, 71 cubic inchers per cylinder
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Matt (Jordan,MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt (Jordan,MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2010 at 11:13pm
The engine serial number would be stamped on the engine  block. It's located on the left or blower side on the rear corner up by the head. Or pretty much directly above the engine oil filter. The number should start with 271 or the later engines started with a 2A number hope this helps Matt   
dadsdozerhd5b View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 4:36am
you may also double check the serial number of the machine in 2 places. the dashboard to the right of the throttle control will have the serial number and also at the back of the machine on the final drive housing up to the upper right hand corner it should be stamped into the casting. according to my book, the 2-71 detroit made 47.85 belt and 38.24 drawbar horsepower. that is not flywheel horsepower if that is what you are looking for. if it does not pass ca. emissions test, send it east to pa. we love them here. hope this helps.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 7:50am
The engine is as stated a 2-71 Detroit Diesel, 2 stroke and CARB was the essential component in the elimination of 2 cycle diesels.  It should be a 78hp engine as to record and as this is a pre-emissions era machine unless there is a law on the books to bring it up to standards it should be exempt.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 9:09am
Try the HP rate of 48 to 52 HP, as machine is 142 cu. in. displacement . The engine in the machine will not have a spec plate on it uless it has been replaced. In that case there would be a plate on the valve cover listing specs.
 The 2-71 Detrotit was used on many generator sets, you could check with Detroit Diesel dealer in your area to see if they have more information, or can get spec plate for engine.
 The pistons and liners used in the industrial engine differ slightly from the truck engine units. Injectros should be HV7 units. I do not believe the 71 series can meet high tier rate on later CARB listings. Being that old of a machine there may be some exemptions or you may have to paint it up and call it a display model and only used for show ( and a little side work to keep it's self limbered up.)
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Greg K View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 10:45am
WOW!
I really want to thank everyone that has replied! I have a real good start now on getting the paperwork filled out. I have been a machinist and machinery builder for most of my life, so this machine looks like a fun project to me. The hydraulics have been modified some so I'll have to figure out what they were trying to accomplish there. More will be revealed I'm sure!
Thanks again,You guys are great!
Greg.

dadsdozerhd5b View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 6:28pm
i always like to see everyone else's machines. can you post some pics?
Greg K View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 1:25pm
For sure! I will post some pictures of our Crawler/Dozer once the snow stops here. 
Greg K View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 6:18pm
Still waiting for snow to clear, will post photos.

JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2010 at 7:15am
Suggestion, Park it in back corner under heavy tarp and then forget that its there. Saves on paper work and might save it from going to scrap because of  not meeting emmision standards.
  It would be one thing if you used it 16 hours a day 7 days a week 365 days a year, but it sounds like you hardly never use it. How much emmissions do they expell when they are not running?
  If nothing else list it as part of the working heritage museum collection of the Publics Utility Commission.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic