This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

6080 Clutch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJ Shaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6080 Clutch
    Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 1:41pm
Agco now only supplies clutches for the AC 6080 through the Agco Heritage line of parts.  The last half dozen or so clutches our local dealer has installed in 6080s are from the Heritage line.  These clutches seem to be nothing but junk.  We've got several 6080s and the last two clutch jobs done with Heritage parts are way less that satisfactory.  Does anyone know of a source for high quality replacement clutch/pressure plates for these tractors? 
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 2:48pm
What is the failure of the clutch???????? The term "junk" is pretty vague and doesn't shed any light as to what the problem really is. There always used to be two types of those 6080 clutches....the button style (HeavyDuty) and organic/fiber (for loader applications).....install the wrong type and you could have early failure. Install one without proper tooling you could have an early failure. Install one without proper "freeplay" adjustment and you WILL have an early failure.  Install one correctly with an idiot driving it??? you could still have an early failure !!!
Eugene View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eugene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 3:14pm
Do you have BareCo  in the US ??  If so , they can supply you with a good aftermarket clutch. In Australia we find they can supply original equipment clutches such as LUK , Valeo or Borg & Beck at a fraction of the genuine price.
I am not sure but I thought the 6080 used the same clutch as the Fiat.
TJ Shaw View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJ Shaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

What is the failure of the clutch???????? The term "junk" is pretty vague and doesn't shed any light as to what the problem really is. There always used to be two types of those 6080 clutches....the button style (HeavyDuty) and organic/fiber (for loader applications).....install the wrong type and you could have early failure. Install one without proper tooling you could have an early failure. Install one without proper "freeplay" adjustment and you WILL have an early failure.  Install one correctly with an idiot driving it??? you could still have an early failure !!!
First of all the information I'm giving you all is second hand from the dealer.  I'm not the one working on the tractor.  Our dealer sold tons of 6080s back in the day and there are still a lot of them out there working in this area.  The mechanics working on the tractors have years of experience working on these tractors so a novice mechanic is not the case either.  Agco, according to what they've told me does not supply a clutch for these tractors except through the Hertage Line.  I don't know if the Heritage clutch is a metallic or fiber clutch, but according to what the mechanics are saying, they are very poor quality right out of the box and not nearly as good as what Agco used to supply.  I got one with less than 10 hours on the clutch job and I can't even get it into gear.  They've been out and adjusted it and it won't release.  As far as an idiot driving the tractor, then I guress the  idiot would be me, and I've logged literally hudreds of hours in 6080s.  The tractor that just had the clutch job had over 4000 hours on the previous clutch.  The bottom line is that the dealer would like to find something better that the Heritage line of clutches before they split the tractor again.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 3:43pm
Wasn't referring to you as an idiot...making the point that clutches can and are destroyed by operators who are abusive of the clutch itself. When they take it apart I'd think they would then be able to determine why it would NOT release instead of just tossing it in the warranty parts pile (and there would be "parts" warranty on it, but no labor $$$) AGCO would surely want to get to the bottom of the issue if there truely is a supplier problem, but if they don't know about the failures, they can't do anything about it.
TJ Shaw View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJ Shaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

Wasn't referring to you as an idiot...making the point that clutches can and are destroyed by operators who are abusive of the clutch itself. When they take it apart I'd think they would then be able to determine why it would NOT release instead of just tossing it in the warranty parts pile (and there would be "parts" warranty on it, but no labor $$$) AGCO would surely want to get to the bottom of the issue if there truely is a supplier problem, but if they don't know about the failures, they can't do anything about it.
According the the mechanic/shop foreman at the dealer the last half dozen or so clutches they've installed in 6080s have been from the Heritage line of parts.  They've had problems with every single one of them.  The service manager has talked to Agco, more than once I believe, and supposedly Agco admitted that there had been complaints about the clutches.  It's been very frustraiting for the dealer trying to get something figured out and also for me because I've got a tractor sitting here that I desperately need and can't use.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 6:27pm
I know it would be some shipping involved but there is a GOOD clutch  shop in Jonesburg Mo, ; Unique Automotive ; Im pretty sure they could handle it ; sounds like you have good mechanics working on it; Im sure the clutches thru Agco are xpensive ; I put one in a 6080 2 years ago , guy insisted on an Agco clutch  $860 [i think, or close to it ] ; with the pto disc in there its really close tolerances ;     Uniques phone number is  636-488-5242 , ask for Snake ; they do good work and resonable too !!!
Cal View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 8:43pm
We have had good quality remam. clutches from High Capacity and they are complete ready to install. Cal in Ct.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic