This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WC HEAD REBUILD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 51WILLYS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WC HEAD REBUILD
    Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 5:54pm
Hi all im new to the forum and new to Allis Chalmers but am hoping to get some help. I purchased a 1943 WC last year to restore it and to do some antique pulling with it. I decided to redo my head because of 2 exhaust valves badly burned and seats worn beyond repair. I got all exhaust seats removed but the problem is that 2 of the holes for the seats seem to be oversized (1.625") where the other 2 are 1.575" also the new seats I got are taller than where they go into the head so they would stick up quite a bit. Anybody know where i can get the correct seats plus the oversized ones. Thanks
Sponsored Links

patrickmull View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickmull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 7:21pm
welcome  there are a lot of good vendors on this site you can contact that should have what you want look on top where it says parts

Edited by patrickmull - 11 Mar 2013 at 7:23pm
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 8:44pm
I would buy 4 new exhaust seats and cut all the seat pockets a bit larger for the new seats. Have you got a way to cut them yourself? Otherwise most automotive machine shops will have the necessary tooling to cut them. There's common seats that are 1 11/16" or 1.6875 outer diameter and 1/4" deep that i use from SBI for the exhaust seats when modifying these heads..

1.625" seats are 1.628" diameter, so you may be fine just driveing new ones in.

I've made seats from ductile iron round stock......special application building reverse flowed cylinder head and couldn't find anything available that would work. Lucky you won't have this problem with the Allis.

Edited by wi50 - 11 Mar 2013 at 9:00pm
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 7:20pm
i have pictures under new post entitled rod says barneys valves and valve springs dont work . the valve length and springs part number came from barney taylor the work is from my shop . enjoy looking through the pictures under the post and ask any questions you would like to . we will be happy to do a head like the one pictured. on the old three inch head the seats are nonremovable and sometimes when cutting for new harden seats you get into water. I recomend going to a larger valve diameter so that you can cut the exsisting seat for new valve size 

Edited by mlpankey - 12 Mar 2013 at 7:37pm
51WILLYS View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 51WILLYS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 12:07pm
Sorry for the delayed response but its been a little crazy at work this week. I already had the head at the machine shop to be decked and manifold shaved from where it was burned out and he really didnt want to get involved in seat work. I do not have a way to to cut the seat pockets but was going to do all valve grinding myself. I have a call in to a few companies we will see what they have hopefully in next few hours im anxious to start on engine rebuild after this. I dont see a problem in running 2 different sized seats if i can get them or am i wrong on this?
51WILLYS View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 51WILLYS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 12:25pm
Summit Vlave Train just got back to me they are $10 a seat and they are making them today and shipping tonight. Thanks for everyones help
patrickmull View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickmull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 5:09pm
are you going to put new guides in also 
51WILLYS View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 51WILLYS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 6:28pm
Yeah I'm doing new guides all new valves, new springs and new keepers.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic