This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Calling Dr Allis

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudsonator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Calling Dr Allis
    Posted: 10 Jan 2013 at 7:30pm
Dr Allis,

I was cleaning out my PMs and ran across one I sent about a 4.250" bore kit you were considering making for W-type engines.  Did you ever make those?  The PM said you needed a minimum of 4 kits to build any of them, I'm assuming since I didn't hear back from you in '09 that they never materialised.

I'd still like to talk to you about those, or at least your design.

There isn't much a WC can't do.

WD's just do it better.
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2013 at 9:20pm
Never made any. I also haven't won the Lottery yet either.
cms View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 7:52am
I have sleeves in 4.250 bore for 201/226 engines. Can get pistons just need to know how tall. The block needes to be bored uses stock head gaskets and oil rings. These are made from ductucle iron not cast iron. cms-5@hotmail.com
Hudsonator View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudsonator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 9:44am
[QUOTE=cms]I have sleeves in 4.250 bore for 201/226 engines. Can get pistons just need to know how tall. The block needes to be bored uses stock head gaskets and oil rings. These are made from ductucle iron not cast iron. cms-5@hotmail.com[/QUOTE]

That sounds exactly like what I'm looking for - I'll shoot you an e-mail.

WD's just do it better.
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 12:35pm
I make sleves for the engines that require no block boreing, I figure if you are going to bore the block than you may as well go for a large bore, the work is the same in the end.

The bottom counterbore in the Allis blocks is 4.475" so this will allow up to a 4.3" bore with no block work, depending on how far down you pull the piston and what the rod angles are.  I do not run an O- ring though, or they get to thin.  I make the sleves from either John Deere 404 diesel or the newer 4045 or 6068 engine sleves.  Take out ones are abundant here, the 404 is a 4.25" bore and the 4045 and 6068 engines are a 4.19 bore.  I make them to lightly press fit in the bottom counterbore with a little sleve retainer around them.  They sit square on the top flange just as the OEM sleves do.

I've got a W201 engine right now that I'm fixing up for an unstyled WC restoration project, I had to buy parts or make my own anyway so I used a common set of replacement hyperutectic 4.28 bore BBC pistons, the Deere liners and a set of rods to make a 280 CID engine for it without putting much out of pocket in it.

I looked at and measured up some John Deere 3020-4020 gas pistons one day at the salvage yard, with the 262 Buda rods, a set of home made sleves would have been the other combination I was going to put in it.  The John Deere pistons were a good match and have plenty of material on top to machine for any desired compression ratio.

I had talked to Power Bore liners about makeing the sleves to my dimensions as I make and sell a few sets of these from time to time.  I wanted to just buy them and stock them here rather than make them.  If I made a few it was going to cost about $115 per hole for ductile iron ones and if I make a large quantity down closer to $80 each.  Grey cast would cost less, but shouldn't be cinsidered an option when they get thin or rod angles get poor.

Edited by wi50 - 11 Jan 2013 at 12:51pm
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
Hudsonator View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudsonator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 1:01pm
Wi50, thanks for the response.  I understand what you're saying, but this isn't a pulling application.  Nor is it a "show" application.  I'm looking for a meaty sleeve that can be removed/replaced if needed and can handle some hard punishment. Don't have a problem with anything you've said, its just not what I'm looking for on this job.

What I'm up to is building a couple of working engines to burn ethanol.  I've always thought it rediculous Allis didn't make these engines in 4.25" bore for the D17/170 series anyway!  I figure its a good time to bore out the block slightly and clean up the o-ring fit anyhow.

I'd like to run an 8" Leroi rod with a BBC variant piston.  The main thing is trimming in what compression ratio I ultimately want to run. Also, some practical advice on rejetting tractor carbs for ethanol - as I've never done that before.  I'd like to hear your input on those subjects.

WD's just do it better.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 4:58pm
A-C did a pretty good job with those engines durability from the series 4 D17 and on. With the crankshaft being nitrided on the journals, most of the time (on the first OH anyway) I never had to have the cranks reground and always used .001" bearings on the mains and std on the rods. Any more HP than the 175 could put out would have began compromising crankshaft and bearing life.  A 4.25" bore with 8.0 to 1 compression would have drastically shortened the bottom end life in my opinion. The only two things I'd like to have seen on those engines was a better rear main seal and sodium exhaust valves.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic