This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

38,s on a wd45

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer_rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 38,s on a wd45
    Posted: 01 Jan 2013 at 8:49am
I have 38,s going on my wd45 which is pretty much stock except for gov spring. My question is should I be installing ring/pinion out of a wd45d . I'm having traction issues now in the heavier classes plus my tires tend to spin on the rims. Tried all the tricks
if farming was easy everybody would be doing it
Sponsored Links

mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2013 at 9:16am
tires spinning on rims could be from lack of air pressure in the heavier classes.
farmer_rob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer_rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2013 at 9:25am
I'm running 8.5 psi. Tried the sticky glue stuff that guys use In racing cars.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2013 at 9:27am
thats not enough air for heavy classes . pump them up hard during the off season maybe the bead will stick some.

Edited by mlpankey - 01 Jan 2013 at 9:30am
ACFarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2013 at 1:02pm
Run screws into them around the edges. Solves the problem and you can run any pressure you want then.
Making A living everyday farming with and working on Allis Equipment
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2013 at 3:01pm
I'm having a hard time visualizing a "stock" WD45 spinning the rear tires on the rims. The tube has to have the stem ripped off each time it slips, right ?? On my two antique  AC pullers that are 100 HP, I worry about a lot of things going wrong, but that sure isn't one of them.
WildBill View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2013 at 3:08pm
Farmer Rob . Are you running tubes? Did you make chalk marks on rim and tire to verify? Curious to hear back so a better idea is visualized. I have never had this issue either but mayb we misunderstand you
Allis fan for life !   B,C,2-WC'S,WD45G,D19G,190xt ,LLSS 8010, terra tiger refurbished
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer_rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2013 at 6:30pm
Yes I did use chalk and also running tubes. The tires move about 8 inches then the stems rip off. I see other guys running a lot less air in their tires because I can see huge ripples in them when they are pulling hard. My big question is am I going to see a big traction increase when I put 38s on? I realize I'm going to lose a lot of power but changing the rear end help me ? Am I wasting my time??
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2013 at 6:34pm
tires rippling dont necessarly mean less air . it can mean less side wall plys.   the diesel rear end will gear you down so that 38 inch tires want run over 4 mile an hour in first gear. The footplate of a 38 inch tire always gives you more traction .
Fields View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fields Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2013 at 6:40pm
I have 15.5-38 on my wd45 with a diesel rear end. track seed is between 3mph and 2.4 under full load. which would be the same speeds as a regular wd45 with 14.9-28. so same power/speed more rubber on the ground.  
WildBill View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2013 at 6:40pm
Ok Rob u did ur homework . The bead must be crap or rim material crap ? In the set u have throw screws as the feller above said . It's ur only hope. For ur 38's how wide ? Lug depth? What weight class? Did u check rules where ur pulling? U can get more gain off of easy engine check list instead of diff change. As dr Allis stated is it stock?
Allis fan for life !   B,C,2-WC'S,WD45G,D19G,190xt ,LLSS 8010, terra tiger refurbished
WildBill View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2013 at 6:44pm
Nice tractors Fields!!!! Good pic
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2013 at 6:52pm
if the bead is rotted screws aint going to help .  air them up hard and let them setup over the off season then run enough air to keep the bead from breaking during the pulling season.
WildBill View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2013 at 6:56pm
Did lots of mud tires with partial crappy beads and silicone. Holds well with big power also. . I'm done with the post but hope u do well farmer rob for 2013.
AC Billy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Billy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2013 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by Fields Fields wrote:

Very neat picture and tractors !
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2013 at 9:22pm
I run 38's with regular wd45 gears. Perfect match for 4mph in 1st gear and on good hard tracks it'll stay hooked up and pull the engine down to kill. Any slower and it'd break traction to early. Though on some tracks it spins easy so diesel gears and pulling in 2nd would work better.

Edited by wi50 - 02 Jan 2013 at 9:24pm
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer_rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2013 at 9:57pm
I'm pulling in classes from 3500-6500. I'm near or at the top of the 4700 down classes and sittin the middle of the pack in the heavier classes. In the heavier classes I'm there to gain experience and have fun. Also to piss the bigger guys off since I'm pushin them. It's stock as far as I know. I bought it second hand and haven't done anything to it. There could be over sized pistons for all I know. There are other wd's /wd45 that I out pull easy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic