This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ac model d grader value

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koryk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ac model d grader value
    Posted: 11 Dec 2012 at 5:58pm
New to the site. I am looking at an original 55 model D grader that has not run in ten years. It is complete and I think it will run. It has the gas engine tilting front wheels tube frame no cracks. I trust the guy that owns it but I have no idea what they are worth. He wants $6500.00 cash. I am a mechanic and the work would run me around 2500.00 to repair and paint it. Any thought's from smarter people would be great. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2012 at 6:04pm
Sounds good, if it were running.  I'd want to be sure that the differential output shafts are good, and a look inside the chain boxes, through the inspection panels on top of the boxes.
Put a good battery in it, put it in lo gear, pull the plugs out, and bump the starter, if it moves, diff shafts are good.  I ain't smart, I just play that on the innernut!
dustinmo View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustinmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2012 at 6:44pm
Honestly just bought my first one last week, got it home on Sat afternoon, its a 52 so its got the wd engine, had been setting a while even the owner said only 3 years but he was probally close to 90???  was a little trouble getting it going as I bought it close to 3 hours from home and even though the truck was loaded with stuff still didnt have all that we needed so had to improvise a little, blew 2 hoses after filling with hyd oil but still drove her on the trailer, not any frills but a tilt front end and the guy threw in a aftermarket  power steering  setup (not charlyn or behlen never seen one like it)  gave a whopping 1150 for her,  still on the trailer , gonna put all new hyd hoses on it before we take it off the trailer, Dustin
q4016lanz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote q4016lanz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2012 at 6:29am
We want pictures please
15 allis chalmers tractors

9 lanz bulldog tractors

2 water cooled deutz

9 john deeres tractors

14 Aus made orange chamberlains

I spent most of my money on old tractors I wasted the rest
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2012 at 10:43pm
Unless it has some other options in addition to the leaning front wheels it seems a little high priced. For that kind of money it should already be in fairly decent running condition. 
Jack of all trades, master of none
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2012 at 1:34am
I agree with Don, what you want to think about after you've spent $2500 (don't know if that includes anything for your time) is the resale value and how easy it would sell if you are looking to get your money back.
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
ctbowles58 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctbowles58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2012 at 1:38pm
there was one that sold here on mo. about 2 yrs ago with a cab, but it needed engine work, it brought around $2500.00
190XT 2WD45 WF D15 D14 CA BIG10 302 & 303 bailers 77G rake 80R mower 6 plows and alot more
Allen Dilg View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allen Dilg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2012 at 9:48pm
Hello Koryk     I have purchased 3  "D's" over the years under $2500  1 ran 2 stuck but got running.    6500 VERY steep
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic